question about rancid nuts/also great online videos!

  • HANNAH ZAIV
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2009
      Hi. . just wondered if anyone has found someplace to buy nuts and seeds that are sure not to be rancid?  The ones out in the bins at the coops, though handy and delicious, seem suspect to me sometimes, and eating rancid nuts is way toxic. .

      Does everyone know about Dr. Tel-Oren's wonderful website, TheTruthAboutYourFood.com?  He has 6 free online lectures on there which are WONDERFUL. . so clear and knowledgeable, scarily he tells me (& very convincingly, too) that a number of things I thought I'd been doing that were healthy in my 6 years as a raw foods person actually were not. . well at least I know now.  Thank you so much to the Sunday supper people for sponsoring his visit, he's completely terrific!!

                                                            blessings,  Hannah Zaiv
    • Nora Lenz
      Message 2 of 4 , May 21, 2009
        Hi Hannah,
        I sell nuts on my website that I purchase directly from small organic farms and backyard growers.  Most have not been subjected to any mechanized processing whatsoever (they are hand-harvested and sun/air-dried).  The pecans and walnuts are even hand-shelled.  They are usually shelled to order but if I shell them in advance I take care to double bag them and refrigerate them immediately.  You are correct, rancid nuts are toxic and it is getting more and more difficult to find nut sellers who refrigerate.  Here's the website:  www.RawTreasure.com.  I am currently out of almonds but will be taking advance orders for the fall season in July, plus I'm no longer selling dates.

        I was also very impressed with Dr. Tel Oren when he was here in Seattle a few months ago.  He's a little heavy on supplementation for my tastes, but I can forgive him this foible. :)  It is beyond refreshing to see a classically trained doctor breaking rank to the extent he has.

        Best wishes,
        Nora

        Hi. . just wondered if anyone has found someplace to buy nuts and seeds that are sure not to be rancid?  The ones out in the bins at the coops, though handy and delicious, seem suspect to me sometimes, and eating rancid nuts is way toxic. .

        Does everyone know about Dr. Tel-Oren's wonderful website, TheTruthAboutYourFo od.com?

        .

        __,_._,__
      • HANNAH ZAIV
        Message 3 of 4 , May 21, 2009
          Thank you Nora!  I've been trying this a.m. to buy 3 lbs. walnuts and 3 lbs. pecans from your website, but my paypal account seems to be hopelessly screwed up for some reason.  Any way I can mail you a check?  Also I'll be in Seattle on Thursday next week. . are you there, and if so, anywhere near Seattle Center so I could pick them up?  (I could bring cash. . guess there's no reason you should trust a stranger's check though I promise mine are good).

          Appreciate what you provide!  Do you sell them in-shell sometimes too?

                                                   Thank you,  Hannah Zaiv, 503-659-9384

          To: RawPortland@yahoogroups.com
          From: nmlenz@...
          Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 07:47:05 -0700
          Subject: Re: [RawPortland] question about rancid nuts/also great online videos!

          Message 4 of 4 , May 21, 2009
            You can order by emailing me directly and I can ship or you can pick up at my home in Bellevue.  Let me know which you prefer.  If you want to mail a check or pick them up, email me privately and I'll give you my address.  Thanks much!
            Nora
            P.S.  I only sell shelled nuts, except pistachios (partial shell)