Re: raw food?

  • nightowlnation
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2009

      Hi There JH~

      It seems to mean different things to different people. The raw food membership at Youtube alone is proof of that, lol! Lots of great information there as well. What I find that makes or breaks it for me is getting creative. No need so be spare. Some good, even simple recipes can make all the difference in the world.

      I've been reading in several places that raw green smoothies added to the diet has made a huge difference in many people's lives. Sounds like after they start this, without effort, the not so good habits naturally fall away eventually. I have to get a blender & try this out myself. Sounds like a great way to get the minerals in. Maybe someone here can chime in on that.

      Didn't go for 100% organic & raw myself.  It has been a few months now and I worked my way up to 70% to 80% raw, organic when I can. But not always or even mostly organic. Also, I'm not a vegetarian as you can see. So these are some of the things that have helped me with the transition:

      Baked potatoes

      Hard boiled eggs   (both stored in the refrigerator, already made)

      Lydia's Raw Organic Dehydrated Bread

      A counter top food dehydrator (more recently).

      Raw prepared desserts like:
      raw org. chocolate bars, raw org. chocoloate mousse, raw org. white honey with some raw walnuts or macadamia nuts

      Organic raw nuts with soy sauce and herbs - garlic granules (not powder!) is my favorite. Not at all the same as commercial snacks but it has worked to help me stay away from potato chips (I love salt and crunchies).

      Raw dairy: like organic goat's milk & cheeses (esp. raw feta!)

      Lot's of avocados:  plain or in raw sandwiches, avocado salads
      or sushi (lots of sushi anyway).

      Lately I'm eating more 'nut cheese' than goat cheese. I don't restrict myself deliberately but I find myself eating fewer of the desserts.  Increasing my fruit intake has contributed to this, I believe. My energy has increased, skin has improved and I've lost 10 pounds so far.

      Allowing myself whatever I want has helped in my case. I'm relaxed about it and so I find it easier to choose raw over cooked most of the time. Sometimes I'll go raw 100% for a day - but mostly, lately I'll have an average of 2 raw meals (plus raw snacks) and one cooked or partially raw meal.  Most often fish of some kind. Cooked or raw with rice. Salmon, catfish or primarily raw sushi.

      Like I mentioned I'm not a vegetarian at all - but even the vegans have gotten pretty creative. So many choices now - not like in the 1970's & 80's when it was mostly about plain nuts, fruits & veggies presentations. It's hilarious to listen to some of the old-timers talk about how lucky the new raw foodies are today.  :)

      R~