staying raw and warm in the winter

  • Natasia Rana
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hi Celeste,

      We actually discussed this very snafu at a Portland Raw Enthusiasm Meetup Group outing at the Blossoming Lotus a while back! Here are some easy ways to stay warm and raw during the chilly rainy months:

      *Use warming spices such as ginger and cayenne in recipes and teas.

      *Get a dehydrator and make snacks, cookies, breads, crackers, and much much more. Also use the dehydrator to warm up your food to room temperature or under 118 degrees to preserve nutrients and enzymes.

      *If you don't have a dehydrator, food can be lightly warmed on the stovetop (warm to the touch for 4 seconds before feeling too hot is approximately 104 degrees). Alternately, turn the oven on for a few minutes then off and place food inside for several minutes.

      *Plan meals accordingly so there is enough time for food to warm up from having been in the refrigerator. Eat food that is warm or at least at room temperature for better digestion and assimilation.

      *Exercise to keep your blood moving and circulation going!

      *Wear plenty of warm clothes so you can eat when you are hungry as opposed to eating to stay warm.

      *Eat enough calories for your individual constitution -- some people need more food than others.

      Hope this helps!

      Also I know a Chris Cowen who lives (lived?) in Arizona and has a business selling coconut oil and other products -- is that him?

      Take care,

      Tashi Rana, Nutrition Consultant and Educator
      Field of Greens