Re: [RawPortland] Flash steamed but raw almonds?

  • Angela Coate-Hermes
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2009
      I wonder if the flash steaming kills any bacteria on the outside of the almonds, but does not heat the inside of the almonds?
      I am planning to research this and write an article about it on RawPeople.com in the near future. I will let you know what I find out.

      :)Angela
      www.RawPeople.com

      The debt that each generation owes to the past, it must pay to the future. -Abigail Scott Duniway
      http://abchermes.blogspot.com/
      ht

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2009
        Joel-

        I was looking through my printed Azure Standard catalog. They will have "really raw" almonds that have never been heat treated in any way beginnng on April 1st. They just are not listed on their website yet.

        :)Angela

        --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, Angela Coate-Hermes <acoate314@...> wrote:

        > I wonder if the flash steaming kills any bacteria on the outside of the almonds, but does not heat the inside of the almonds?
        > I am planning to research this and write an article about it on RawPeople.com in the near future. I will let you know what I find out.
        >
        > :)Angela
        > www.RawPeople.com
        >
        > The debt that each generation owes to the past, it must pay to the future. -Abigail Scott Duniway
        > http://abchermes.blogspot.com/
        > ht

      • Jeff Rogers
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2009
          Please make sure the "really raw" almonds are organic. One of the "acceptable" types of pasteurization is fumigation with a chemical (actually used as a rocket fuel) banned in many countries, including Canada and the EU! They may never be heated, but if they have been fumigated, I wouldn't touch them!

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28, 2009
            Yes, the really raw almonds that Azure Standard will carry are organic.

            :)Angela

            http://thehermesboys.blogspot.com/