Re: [RawPortland] Freezing Raw Foods & Where to find Organic Seeds

  • Angela Coate-Hermes
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 17, 2009
      Hi Elizabeth-

      Freezing foods does detroy a small amount of the nutritional content of raw foods. However, in my opinion, eating foods that you have frozen at the peak of the season is far better than eating "fresh" strawberries in December that have ben shipped all the way from Chile or Mexico. By the time those "fresh" strawberries reach your table they have lost as much as 70% of their nutritional content, while the strawberries that you froze during strawberry season have lost maybe 10-20% of their nutritional content. I think that home freezing is a good option for us in the Pacific Northwest. However, many commercially frozen foods have been blanched, and thus, are not considered to be raw.

      Oh- and Azure Standard is a great place to get organic seeds and other raw foods such as nuts, nut butters, raw cacao, dates, etc...

      Blessings-
      :)Angela

      The debt that each generation owes to the past, it must pay to the future. -Abigail Scott Duniway
      http://abchermes.blogspot.com/
      http://thehermesboys.blogspot.com/

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 17, 2009
        Thank You! :)  I've been buying frozen organic fruit that is labeled that it was grown in the NW.  I'll be freezing my own this summer season.  Blanching didn't cross my mind though.