Re: [RawPortland] Announcing The Raw Matrix

  • Stacey Fassino
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2009
      Congrats Brion!
      And now I can buy your yummy products at Food Front!
      Yeay!!!
      Stacey

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 16, 2009
        How splendid! Thank you ever sooooooo much for all that you do, Brion,
        we appreciate it ever so much! =)

        I regularly shop at either the People's Food Co-Op and, more recently,
        Simply Nourishing on a monthly basis (though I've had to delay my
        shopping this month) during the Portland Saturday Market off-season,
        and so will definitely keep an eye out for your revised-logo products
        the next time I visit the former, which will probably be on the last
        weekend of this month.

        I loathe admitting I've only tried one of your mousses thus far, but
        the one time I did try your Chocolate Banana Monkey flavor in December
        of last year, I was simply mesmerized in ecstasy by the flavor. I
        can't quite put my finger on what made yours particularly appealing
        from others I've tried.......the chocolate in yours was more aromatic
        than others I've tried I remember, more floral I guess you can say
        than your standard cocoa, but not in a way where it overwhelms your
        taste buds and you don't get that full-bodied flavor. But now that
        I've gotten more properly acquainted with you, I simply can't wait to
        try my second, and parades more of your products, yay! (does happy
        dance) ^__^

        Sincerely,
        Noah Eaton

        --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "brion.oliver" <brion@...> wrote:

        > Hello, everyone!
        >
        > I have two announcements regarding my business, formerly The Raw Life.
        >
        > Announcement #1: I have changed my business name from The Raw Life to
        > The Raw Matrix for reasons I will detail below. Along with that name
        > change comes a change in my label design which you will see implemented
        > at People's Food Co-Op this Friday, February 20th. The salads remain
        > available in the deli case near the main doors, and the puddings/mousse
        > remain available in the dessert case across from the registers, and it
        > should all still be recognizable and will remain yummy!
        >
        > Announcement #2: The Raw Matrix salads and mousses are now available for
        > sale at the Alberta Co-operative Grocery on NE Alberta at 15th St in
        > Portland, and will be available starting this Saturday, February 21st,
        > at the NW Thurman location of Food Front Co-operative Grocery. Please
        > let your friends in those neighborhoods know!
        >
        > When I chose the name The Raw Life for my business last summer, I had
        > thought I had done my due diligence. The name has neither a national
        > trademark nor any legal obstacle to its use in the state of Oregon, but
        > I failed to realize that Paul Nison wrote a book with that title in 2000
        > and runs a business through the website rawlife.com
        > <http://rawlife.com/> . As far as I know, Paul is unaware of my business
        > and he hasn't contacted me in any way about the name, but I felt I had
        > an ethical obligation to not continue doing business under a name that
        > he coined long before I did.
        >
        > My challenge was to find a business name that fit the breadth of
        > activities I wish to conduct under it, and I am quite pleased that The
        > Raw Matrix captures the event organization, education, food production,
        > and focus on community, information, and healing that I attempt to
        > promote through my business activities. My thanks to Gabrielle Chavez
        > for the name suggestion!
        >
        > Please join me as part of the Raw Matrix in 2009, and be most well!
        >
        > With warm thanks for all of your generous support,
        >
        > - Brion
        >

        > Brion Oliver
        > The Raw Matrix
        > Raw Events, Foods, and Inspiration
        > rawmatrix.net <http://rawmatrix.net>
        > OregonRawResource.org <http://OregonRawResource.org>
        > 503-312-0596

      • nightowlnation
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2009
          That's great news and a wonderful business name. I was just thinking about picking up some more already prepared raw foods & deserts in the morning for the weekend. Was wondering if I had missed any locally made resources. Have been to the People's Co-op a few times - very glad to learn about your products & will check them out next time I'm there. Thanks for doing what you do. It's new for me so it's nice to be able to incorporate such things while learning to prep creatively at home.

          --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "brion.oliver" <brion@...> wrote:

          > Hello, everyone!
          >
          > I have two announcements regarding my business, formerly The Raw Life.
          >
          > Announcement #1: I have changed my business name from The Raw Life to
          > The Raw Matrix for reasons I will detail below. Along with that name
          > change comes a change in my label design which you will see implemented
          > at People's Food Co-Op this Friday, February 20th. The salads remain
          > available in the deli case near the main doors, and the puddings/mousse
          > remain available in the dessert case across from the registers, and it
          > should all still be recognizable and will remain yummy!
          >
          > Announcement #2: The Raw Matrix salads and mousses are now available for
          > sale at the Alberta Co-operative Grocery on NE Alberta at 15th St in
          > Portland, and will be available starting this Saturday, February 21st,
          > at the NW Thurman location of Food Front Co-operative Grocery. Please
          > let your friends in those neighborhoods know!
          >
          > When I chose the name The Raw Life for my business last summer, I had
          > thought I had done my due diligence. The name has neither a national
          > trademark nor any legal obstacle to its use in the state of Oregon, but
          > I failed to realize that Paul Nison wrote a book with that title in 2000
          > and runs a business through the website rawlife.com
          > <http://rawlife.com/> . As far as I know, Paul is unaware of my business
          > and he hasn't contacted me in any way about the name, but I felt I had
          > an ethical obligation to not continue doing business under a name that
          > he coined long before I did.
          >
          > My challenge was to find a business name that fit the breadth of
          > activities I wish to conduct under it, and I am quite pleased that The
          > Raw Matrix captures the event organization, education, food production,
          > and focus on community, information, and healing that I attempt to
          > promote through my business activities. My thanks to Gabrielle Chavez
          > for the name suggestion!
          >
          > Please join me as part of the Raw Matrix in 2009, and be most well!
          >
          > With warm thanks for all of your generous support,
          >
          > - Brion
          >

          > Brion Oliver
          > The Raw Matrix
          > Raw Events, Foods, and Inspiration
          > rawmatrix.net <http://rawmatrix.net>
          > OregonRawResource.org <http://OregonRawResource.org>
          > 503-312-0596

        • brion.oliver
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 20, 2009
            Hello!

            I want to thank everyone for their very kind and generous words of support in response to my recent announcement about my business The Raw Matrix. I chose to start doing this work in pursuit of right livelihood, but also because I felt there was a need in Portland not only for real pre-packaged raw meals, but for the inspiration to take our next steps together as a community to have a higher level of vibrancy and support for each other's lifestyles, dreams, and visions for our slice of the world, both in Portland and in the raw foods movement.

            Starting and growing a business involves the sort of tiny details that can pull one's attention away from the big picture, and so your words of support and encouragement serve powerfully to remind me of why I do what I do every day, and they land with a special degree of appreciative power at this time when I am so caught up in successfully managing a significant level of change. Thank you so very much for that!

            If you'll excuse the advertisement, I don't want to leave Noah hanging in his very poetic quest for cacao discernment:

            --- "Noah Eaton" <mistletoeangelmagic@...> wrote:

            > I loathe admitting I've only tried one of your mousses thus far, but
            > the one time I did try your Chocolate Banana Monkey flavor in December
            > of last year, I was simply mesmerized in ecstasy by the flavor. I
            > can't quite put my finger on what made yours particularly appealing
            > from others I've tried.......the chocolate in yours was more aromatic
            > than others I've tried I remember, more floral I guess you can say
            > than your standard cocoa, but not in a way where it overwhelms your
            > taste buds and you don't get that full-bodied flavor.

            I use an organic raw cacao powder that is distributed to raw gourmet chefs and restauranteurs, which I first learned about from Richard Hemsley of Synergy Chef and Pure Joy Cafe in Sacramento, CA, who is one of the featured chefs of the Raw and Living Spirit Retreat. It has over twice the fat content of many raw cacao products, which results in pronounced flavor, less oxidation, and shockingly allows one to use less cacao for more effect. You can read more about it, as well as order it for your own use, on my website http://rawmatrix.net/orders.html. I am in the process of working to get back my original pricing from that distributor, so that I can continue to offer access to these restaurant-quality products at the best possible prices for you as consumers, but I hope you will find my prices to still be much better than competing product that is inferior in quality. I've actually kept my price on the cacao as low as it was when I was getting better pricing from the distributor, because I think we all benefit when we have cheap access to the best chocolate on the planet!

            I have found that the raw cacao powder at People's Food Co-Op is close in composition and flavor to what I use; it's where I go for an emergency supply if I run out of my own cacao powder. Their price per pound is $5.49 higher than mine, but I understand that not everyone is comfortable buying from an independent supplier and they have the advantage of extraordinary convenience, so I'd try there if buying from The Raw Matrix doesn't appeal.

            May your quest for the tastiest and healthiest chocolate bring you extraordinary bliss!

            All Love and Light,

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 20, 2009
              ~~~~

              Thanks for posting these resources and the chocolate info!

              R~

              ~~~~

            • Noah Eaton
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 21, 2009
                Awwwwwwwww, thanks for informing us (re-informing us with most here
                I'm sure, as I'm a newbie to this community in comparison, LOL!) of
                the cocoa you use in your products! =)

                To say I'm most fortunate to live in Portland now (I moved here in
                June 2004 after previously living in the suburbs of Denver, Colorado
                for nineteen years, and am now 25) would be a criminal understatement.
                While Colorado is certainly a beautiful state itself, with wide,
                scenic and diverse landscapes like Oregon, along with some of the
                freshest water you'll find in the United States, where its residents
                on average are far more physically active than in any other state and
                thus enjoys a true reputation as a particularly healthy state, and
                Boulder is a remarkable city that shares much of the same virtues of
                eating raw and/or organic as the greater Portland area
                does...........living in the suburbs can also be a frustrating,
                alienating experience.

                I'm ashamed to admit here that, because the rest of my family loves
                their processed food (I'm the only one in my family who now has
                eschewed processed food entirely) and I respect their wishes and let
                them be while also providing them helpful advice on how to achieve
                greater optimum nutrition as well in a diplomatic
                manner.........because I too used to consume heavy volumes of
                processed food from my toddler years all the way up to my late high
                school years, I was led to believe for a long time that a Hershey bar
                with almonds, or a Ferrero Rocher hazelnut truffle, was as real as
                chocolate could be. Now that I have grown up and my mind has
                instructed me to scratch beneath the surface of visual stimuli that
                relentlessly enshrouds us in our culture, I feel betrayed, frankly
                heartbroken in some respects, learning that most of what I ate was far
                from the real thing, and merely a highly-refined hybrid of it. For
                nineteen years most of what I swallowed was deceit, and while I'm most
                relieved that I never developed diabetes, cardiovascular disease or
                any of the other common deleterious parasites that are now crippling
                the health of millions in our nation (and increasingly in other
                industrialized nations as well)......that realization can't help but
                depress me some days.

                While I am proud to support the People's Co-Op regularly, primarily in
                purchasing bulk farro, quinoa, mung beans and granola, I'd nonetheless
                feel absolutely comfortable purchasing from independent suppliers like
                yourself as well. I can tell from the tone of your previous response
                alone that to say you are emotionally committed to your work, and see
                it as much more than just a job, but a lifetime commitment to
                achieving a "higher level of vibrancy and support for each other's
                lifestyles"...........shows to me a person who is the antipode to a
                stereotypical snake oil salesman, car dealer, Monsanto lobbyist,
                etc.............an empathetic individual who is just as much a
                caregiver as he is a businessman in my view. I apologize if flattery
                is not your thing, but I just wanted to let you know how I believe I
                speak for everyone when I say we couldn't thank you more for all you
                do and you deserve our utmost gratitude! =)

                Thank you again! =)

              • nightowlnation
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 25, 2009
                  Hi Brion~

                  Went shopping last week - the Raw Matrix Chocolate Moussse is
                  delicious! Also tried it with sliced bananas...wow! A very simple but
                  heavenly dessert...will be going back for more...this [70-80% for now]
                  raw food thing might actually work, lol! I already have a 100% raw
                  favorite sandwich made with dehydrated bread. Was amazed at how good
                  raw bread can be. Borrowed a few prep books, learning more daily, the
                  excess weight is shedding [rather quickly & naturally] & already lots
                  of other positive changes in my health. This is great.(o:

                  --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "nightowlnation"