25 % off raw food books @ Mirador Community Store

  • circleakitchen
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
      For the entire month of Feburary get 25% off all books at Mirador Community Store located
      at SE 21st and Divison. We have an awesome selection of raw food books as well as
      everything else you need to maximize you raw lifestyle!
    • Chef Al
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
        --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "circleakitchen" <circleakitchen@...> wrote:

        > For the entire month of Feburary get 25% off all books at Mirador Community Store located
        > at SE 21st and Divison. We have an awesome selection of raw food books as well as
        > everything else you need to maximize you raw lifestyle!

        I highly recommend Mirador. The selection is great and they also have a nice selection of
        kitchen supplies. It is important to support local businesses at this time as well.
        Best,
        Donna
      • Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 17, 2009
          hi everyone! :)

          I have a question about raw foods.  I've read in some books that freezing bursts the cells of foods and they are no longer considered raw and in other books it recommends freezing for storage.  Does it matter?  Is it overthinking it?

          Thank you for the input in advance!

          ~Elizabeth

          ps... does anybody know of a local resource for organic seed.  I'm looking for plantain, wild rose, and lambs quarters.

        • Angela Coate-Hermes
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 17, 2009
            Hi Elizabeth-

            Freezing foods does detroy a small amount of the nutritional content of raw foods. However, in my opinion, eating foods that you have frozen at the peak of the season is far better than eating "fresh" strawberries in December that have ben shipped all the way from Chile or Mexico. By the time those "fresh" strawberries reach your table they have lost as much as 70% of their nutritional content, while the strawberries that you froze during strawberry season have lost maybe 10-20% of their nutritional content. I think that home freezing is a good option for us in the Pacific Northwest. However, many commercially frozen foods have been blanched, and thus, are not considered to be raw.

            Oh- and Azure Standard is a great place to get organic seeds and other raw foods such as nuts, nut butters, raw cacao, dates, etc...

            Blessings-
            :)Angela

            The debt that each generation owes to the past, it must pay to the future. -Abigail Scott Duniway
            http://abchermes.blogspot.com/
            http://thehermesboys.blogspot.com/

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 17, 2009
              Thank You! :)  I've been buying frozen organic fruit that is labeled that it was grown in the NW.  I'll be freezing my own this summer season.  Blanching didn't cross my mind though.