RE: [RawPortland] Surviving in the Times of Crisis

  • Pamela Melcher
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
      WILD FOOD USUALLY HAS MORE VITAMINS AND MINERALS, AND LOTS MORE BIOPHOTONS, WHICH ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WE ASIMILATE FROM OUR FOOD, THAN ANY OTHER FOOD.

      DANDELIONS
      CHICKWEED
      PLANTAIN
      LAMBS QUARTERS.
      NETTLES
      AMARANTH
      CLEAVERS
      WILD LETTUCE
      THISTLES !!!!!!!!!!!! (IN GREEN SMOOTHIES THEY ARE DELICIOUS)
      ETC.

      YOU CAN EVEN EAT GRASS, JUST STRAIN OUT THE FIBER.  OUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEMS CANNOT HANDLE THE FIBER IN GRASS.LAWN GRASS. ANY KIND OF GRASS.

      AND IT IS FREE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      JUST AVOID WHERE IT IS, OR WAS RECENTLY, SPRAYED AND WHERE THE DOGGIES FERTILIZE IT.

      MAYBE SOMEONE WILL PAY YOU TO REMOVE THEM FROM THEIR YARD.

      I LOST A COMMUNITY GARDEN PLOT FOR GROWING WILD FOOD IN THERE.  FLY UNDER THE RADAR THERE IF YOU WANT TO BE SURE TO KEEP YOUR PLOT.

      DR JOHN SWITZER, M.D., A FANTASTICALLY HEALTHY RAW FOODIST WHO SPOKE AT OUR RAW AND LIVING SPIRIT RETREAT LAST YEAR SAID THAT IN GERMANY IN WORLD WAR II WHEN THEY HAD NO FOOD IN THE STORES PEOPLE FORAGED FOR WILD FOOD AND THERE WERE NO NEW INSTANCES OF CANCER, DIABETES,STROKE, HEART DISEASE OR CANCER.

      HIS MOTHER WAS ALIVE IN GERMANY AT THAT TIME.  IT IS THE TRUTH.

      HAPPINESS, HEALTH AND ABUNDANCE FOR ALL!

      PAMELA MELCHER

      From: staroseltseva@ gmail.com
      Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 07:40:59 +0000
      Subject: [RawPortland] Surviving in the Times of Crisis

      Dear Community Members,

      I am sitting here thinking about how am I going to stay devoted to my
      raw vegan values during these hard times. The combination of low-paid
      job, need to continue my studies, instability, and fear doesn't leave
      anything else to do but starve, in order to pursue my dreams.

      Anyways, I was wandering if you guys have any advice on how to eat raw
      and organic on tight budget. I used to buy everything from Whole
      Foods, but I suspect it's not the cheapest way to go. Anyone ordered
      boxed produce directly from farmers? Anyone made a price comparison
      between, say, Whole Foods and Fred Meyer? What are you doing to save
      the buck?

      Thanks a bunch!

      Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail. See how it works.

    • Stacey Fassino
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
        Hi All,

        I hope that I didn't come across in my reply like "Mary Sunshine."  I too, am experiencing financial challenges.  I feel that there is a reason for everything and that out of our challenges comes good....and creativity.   It is important for us to continue to simplify our lives, stick together and help one another.  I feel that these things are going to be more commonplace in the future (the new world.)  What is important for us now is to have faith and feel gratitude (for all that we do have.)

        Thank Again.

        Much Love, Joy, & Abundance for All,
        Stacey

        From: Shannon Lundberg <shannacht@yahoo. com>
        To: RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 9:24 AM

        So far I have found New Seasons to be overall more affordable (and with nicer produce) than whole foods. Fred Meyers has the most affordable OG bananas (usually 0.79 per lb) And i find to be our local co-op (Alberta, in our case) to have the best produce prices.

        Not quite sure how the subscription farms work during the winter times, and am looking forward to trying them out this growing season. And of course, growing your own food is wonderful and connecting as well.

        good luck and enjoy!

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
          Of the larger local 'alternative' supermarkets, I recommend New
          Seasons, even though I no longer work there. Of all of the chains,
          they are doing the most to support the local farmer and local
          community, and the money that they make is invested locally in jobs
          and community endeavors. In supporting local farmers (whether it is a
          grocery chain or an individual buyer such as ourselves), we are
          ensuring that our food supplies will remain stronger in times of
          turmoil, when dependence on products shipped hundreds or thousands of
          miles can become a very pricey endeavor. Many New Seasons stores have
          an area for culled product -- produce certainly, but even other
          expired goods -- for customers and local community members looking for
          free food. Just ask at the store.

          I think you will find that New Seasons' prices are, for the most part,
          cheaper than Whole Foods, especially if you buy with an eye towards
          weekly specials -- which they advertise both online and in stores.
          There are other, political, reasons to not support Whole Foods with
          your all-important dollar, but this isn't the forum for delving
          further into that conversation.

          For $30/year. you can become a member/owner at People's Food Co-Op in
          SE Portland. You can shop there without being a member, but members
          have the amount of all of their purchases logged and receive member
          rebates once or twice a year, which is a percentage of individual
          total purchases. Member/owners also receive community-oriented
          discounts at other local establishments in Portland, so you can save
          money other places as well. If you have the time you can be a Hands-On
          Owner volunteer worker and earn a discount on all shopping of anywhere
          from 5-15%. 12 hours a month gets you the 15% discount; 8 hours each
          month gets you the 10%. People's does not stock any commercially grown
          produce and is a completely vegetarian store -- they have buying
          practices set by the member/owners that do not allow them to buy any
          meat (though they do sell eggs and dairy products). Produce prices at
          People's can sometimes be higher, as they do not have the buying power
          of other stores, but they also have phenomenal weekly prices (small
          organic avocados for $.50 each, organic apples for $.99/lb, etc.) and
          a discounted bin of overly ripe produce that is $.59/lb (the best
          times to get culled produce is in the morning, probably 8-10am).Their
          prices on non-produce items are cheaper than other natural foods
          stores in the city, pretty much across the board -- this is because
          the Co-Op isn't out to make profits, but to support their community
          and the member/owners. Their bulk section is quite well-priced with
          clearly labeled raw and sproutable items, and they have the largest
          and cheapest selection of bulk organic raw nuts in town. People's also
          has a free box of expired food.

          The year-round Farmer's Market outside of People's is on Wednesdays
          from 2pm - 7pm, and features only local farmers selling local goods.
          Farmer's Market prices in Portland tend to be higher than in other
          states, but if you develop a relationship with the farmers, you can
          often get special pricing; some may even do barter/exchange. You can
          also time your purchases towards the close of the market, when many
          farmers will agree to sell their remaining product for lower prices
          they they asked earlier in the day. There are one or two other
          year-round Markets in Portland, and the full season will start again soon.

          Uncle Paul's Produce Market (http://www.unclepaulsproduce.com/) is on
          SE Hawthorne at 23rd, and features very low produce prices on
          primarily commercial produce. Uncle Paul stocks second-tier produce
          that other stores won't take, so the produce may not last as long in
          your frig or may have more blemishes than what you would find at NSM,
          Whole Foods, or Fred Meyer's, but it is a lot cheaper. His organic
          selection varies day-to-day.

          I'm not as familiar with Alberta Food Co-Op and Food Front, but both
          are local, community-oriented co-ops that may have discount plans for
          member/owners, and most likely have free boxes. Alberta is on NE
          Alberta around 15th; Food Front is in NW Portland near 23rd and Vaughn.

          Asian markets are an option for cheap produce and seaweed, but you'd
          have to be willing to give up organics. Fubonn, on 82nd near SE
          Powell, is th eone I am most aware of.

          With regards to organic produce, it may be worth researching which
          vegetables and fruits are least inclined to absorb chemicals from
          commercial farming practices. Some fruits and vegetable will have a
          higher toxicity than others, and you may be able to buy some
          commercial produce without overly compromising your values, at least
          with regards to your personal health.

          There are also some local folks in the raw community endeavoring to
          provide us with access to high-quality raw foods at better prices.
          Ericha Clare, who responded earlier, is one; she has a boutique in NE
          Portland. I'm another; I sell high-quality superfoods for super-cheap,
          though my distributor recently raised my prices due to my low sales
          volume so I've had to raise prices a bit. I've got raw nori sheets (50
          for $18), cacao, and the like. Nora Lenz supplies raw produce and nuts
          in bulk quantities, and advertises her availability here on the
          RawPortland list; her website is http://www.rawtreasure.com/, though
          the website doesn't list her seasonal produce picks.

          I'll echo others' comments on sprouting. I purchased a lovely tiered
          green plastic sprouting tray at Mirador for $35 (before a 5% discount
          for being a People's Food Co-Op member) and have sprouting steadily
          for almost two months now. It's extremely cheap, it's easy, and it's
          completely alive!

          Oh... here's another trick you can do -- you can buy produce in bulk
          from New Seasons Market for only a 25% markup. You'd have to go in
          with others (a case of anything is hard to eat on your own without
          spoilage), but produce tends to have a high retail markup because of
          spoilage. When I was doing this in the fall, I was getting cases of
          organic kale for $1.50/head (vs. $2.29) and organic avocados for
          something like $1.75 each (versus $2.50). Then again, avocados are on
          sale right now for either $1.50 or $1.95 each at NSM, and kale was
          recently $1.50/head, retail.

          I live in a neighborhood with a couple of different markets, and I
          shop at many of them throughout the week, which allows me to compare
          and contrast prices on specific items, ensuring that I get the best
          pricing possible. I don't shop at the large chains for political
          reasons, but one additional advantage of this is that the local stores
          often have extraordinary customer service that can often save me
          money. New Seasons, for instance, will refund you the price of an
          avocado that was spoiled when you took it home, and they will accept
          other forms of return without hassle.

          Good luck!

          -Brion

          --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "staroseltseva"
          <staroseltseva@...> wrote:

          > Dear Community Members,
          >
          > I am sitting here thinking about how am I going to stay devoted to my
          > raw vegan values during these hard times. The combination of low-paid
          > job, need to continue my studies, instability, and fear doesn't leave
          > anything else to do but starve, in order to pursue my dreams.
          >
          > Anyways, I was wandering if you guys have any advice on how to eat raw
          > and organic on tight budget. I used to buy everything from Whole
          > Foods, but I suspect it's not the cheapest way to go. Anyone ordered
          > boxed produce directly from farmers? Anyone made a price comparison
          > between, say, Whole Foods and Fred Meyer? What are you doing to save
          > the buck?
          >
          > Thanks a bunch!

        • Ekaterina Staroseltseva
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
            Greetings, All!

            Thanks a lot for your contribution and support!
            I will definitely try to apply your advice in my journey.
            It's extremely uplifting to realize that you are not alone in this endeavor.
            Special thanks to Brion for the very thorough and helpful information.
            This challenge is turning into a great learning experience! Thank you!

            --
            (503)747-9582
          • Elizabeth
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2009
              I'm new to this group and new to the Raw lifestyle.  I'm already feeling much better physically and mentally.  Thank you for the informative posts.

              Are there any local Raw cooking prep/education classes?

              Thank You!

              ~Elizabeth

            • Gabrielle
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2009
                Welcome, Elizabeth, and all newcomers! My spiritual community, Christ
                the Healer UCC, sponsors the annual Raw and Living Spirit Retreat
                (www.rawandlivingspirit.org), occasional raw events, and a weekly raw
                food prep class before our Sunday Supper gathering each week at Kairos
                UCC, 4790 SE Logus Rd., Milwaukie. We meet in the church kitchen from
                4:30-5:30 to help the weekly chef finish a 3 course menu that varies
                each time, so you can have hands on experience of many dishes if you
                become a regular. For table conversation, we share our personal
                experiences in response to a weekly theme. After dinner, those who wish
                are welcome to go deeper into the theme with a story-discussion, closing
                prayer circle and raw communion.
                This Sunday Tashi Rana is our chef, making two Thai dishes--Coconut
                Curry Soup and Raw Pad Thai--to accompany green smoothies and cookies
                for dessert. Donation for the class and dinner is only $10-$20, sliding
                scale. Please RSVP if you possibly can by reply email or a message at
                503-650-4447 so we can plan accordingly.
                Love,
                Gabrielle Chavez

                Elizabeth wrote:

                > I'm new to this group and new to the Raw lifestyle. I'm already
                > feeling much better physically and mentally. Thank you for the
                > informative posts.
                >
                > Are there any local Raw cooking prep/education classes?
                >
                > Thank You!
                >
                > ~Elizabeth

                > http://www.eset.com

                > http://www.eset.com
              • brion.oliver
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Elizabeth --

                  Welcome! Congratulations on enjoying improved health!

                  You might find Oregon Raw Resource to be a helpful website for you as
                  you venture into the raw foods community. It has a listing of local
                  classes, groups, restaurants, and special events, and you can elect to
                  join the mailing list to receive announcements when the list is
                  updated with new events or other entries. http://OregonRawResource.org/

                  There are a number of active groups in town through which you can get
                  access to much information and community support.

                  Be well!

                  -Brion

                  --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth <whitewater20060303@...>