Re: [RawPortland] Surviving in the Times of Crisis

  • Stacey Fassino
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
      Yes, New Seasons and the local co-ops have beautiful produce for good prices.   And sprouting is always helpful as an fun, inexpensive and highly nutritious living source.

      It is important that we remain positive and focus on the change that we want to see/create for the future.  Our thoughts create our reality and together we create out future.  A new world is on it's way and it is going to be better than we have ever known.   Sticking to our dreams and values are key, as is keeping positive.

      Thank You,
      Stacey

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
        WILD FOOD USUALLY HAS MORE VITAMINS AND MINERALS, AND LOTS MORE BIOPHOTONS, WHICH ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WE ASIMILATE FROM OUR FOOD, THAN ANY OTHER FOOD.

        DANDELIONS
        CHICKWEED
        PLANTAIN
        LAMBS QUARTERS.
        NETTLES
        AMARANTH
        CLEAVERS
        WILD LETTUCE
        THISTLES !!!!!!!!!!!! (IN GREEN SMOOTHIES THEY ARE DELICIOUS)
        ETC.

        YOU CAN EVEN EAT GRASS, JUST STRAIN OUT THE FIBER.  OUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEMS CANNOT HANDLE THE FIBER IN GRASS.LAWN GRASS. ANY KIND OF GRASS.

        AND IT IS FREE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        JUST AVOID WHERE IT IS, OR WAS RECENTLY, SPRAYED AND WHERE THE DOGGIES FERTILIZE IT.

        MAYBE SOMEONE WILL PAY YOU TO REMOVE THEM FROM THEIR YARD.

        I LOST A COMMUNITY GARDEN PLOT FOR GROWING WILD FOOD IN THERE.  FLY UNDER THE RADAR THERE IF YOU WANT TO BE SURE TO KEEP YOUR PLOT.

        DR JOHN SWITZER, M.D., A FANTASTICALLY HEALTHY RAW FOODIST WHO SPOKE AT OUR RAW AND LIVING SPIRIT RETREAT LAST YEAR SAID THAT IN GERMANY IN WORLD WAR II WHEN THEY HAD NO FOOD IN THE STORES PEOPLE FORAGED FOR WILD FOOD AND THERE WERE NO NEW INSTANCES OF CANCER, DIABETES,STROKE, HEART DISEASE OR CANCER.

        HIS MOTHER WAS ALIVE IN GERMANY AT THAT TIME.  IT IS THE TRUTH.

        HAPPINESS, HEALTH AND ABUNDANCE FOR ALL!

        PAMELA MELCHER

        From: staroseltseva@ gmail.com
        Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 07:40:59 +0000

        Dear Community Members,

        I am sitting here thinking about how am I going to stay devoted to my
        raw vegan values during these hard times. The combination of low-paid
        job, need to continue my studies, instability, and fear doesn't leave
        anything else to do but starve, in order to pursue my dreams.

        Anyways, I was wandering if you guys have any advice on how to eat raw
        and organic on tight budget. I used to buy everything from Whole
        Foods, but I suspect it's not the cheapest way to go. Anyone ordered
        boxed produce directly from farmers? Anyone made a price comparison
        between, say, Whole Foods and Fred Meyer? What are you doing to save
        the buck?

        Thanks a bunch!

        Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail. See how it works.

      • Stacey Fassino
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
          Hi All,

          I hope that I didn't come across in my reply like "Mary Sunshine."  I too, am experiencing financial challenges.  I feel that there is a reason for everything and that out of our challenges comes good....and creativity.   It is important for us to continue to simplify our lives, stick together and help one another.  I feel that these things are going to be more commonplace in the future (the new world.)  What is important for us now is to have faith and feel gratitude (for all that we do have.)

          Thank Again.

          Much Love, Joy, & Abundance for All,
          Stacey

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
            Of the larger local 'alternative' supermarkets, I recommend New
            Seasons, even though I no longer work there. Of all of the chains,
            they are doing the most to support the local farmer and local
            community, and the money that they make is invested locally in jobs
            and community endeavors. In supporting local farmers (whether it is a
            grocery chain or an individual buyer such as ourselves), we are
            ensuring that our food supplies will remain stronger in times of
            turmoil, when dependence on products shipped hundreds or thousands of
            miles can become a very pricey endeavor. Many New Seasons stores have
            an area for culled product -- produce certainly, but even other
            expired goods -- for customers and local community members looking for
            free food. Just ask at the store.

            I think you will find that New Seasons' prices are, for the most part,
            cheaper than Whole Foods, especially if you buy with an eye towards
            weekly specials -- which they advertise both online and in stores.
            There are other, political, reasons to not support Whole Foods with
            your all-important dollar, but this isn't the forum for delving
            further into that conversation.

            For $30/year. you can become a member/owner at People's Food Co-Op in
            SE Portland. You can shop there without being a member, but members
            have the amount of all of their purchases logged and receive member
            rebates once or twice a year, which is a percentage of individual
            total purchases. Member/owners also receive community-oriented
            discounts at other local establishments in Portland, so you can save
            money other places as well. If you have the time you can be a Hands-On
            Owner volunteer worker and earn a discount on all shopping of anywhere
            from 5-15%. 12 hours a month gets you the 15% discount; 8 hours each
            month gets you the 10%. People's does not stock any commercially grown
            produce and is a completely vegetarian store -- they have buying
            practices set by the member/owners that do not allow them to buy any
            meat (though they do sell eggs and dairy products). Produce prices at
            People's can sometimes be higher, as they do not have the buying power
            of other stores, but they also have phenomenal weekly prices (small
            organic avocados for $.50 each, organic apples for $.99/lb, etc.) and
            a discounted bin of overly ripe produce that is $.59/lb (the best
            times to get culled produce is in the morning, probably 8-10am).Their
            prices on non-produce items are cheaper than other natural foods
            stores in the city, pretty much across the board -- this is because
            the Co-Op isn't out to make profits, but to support their community
            and the member/owners. Their bulk section is quite well-priced with
            clearly labeled raw and sproutable items, and they have the largest
            and cheapest selection of bulk organic raw nuts in town. People's also
            has a free box of expired food.

            The year-round Farmer's Market outside of People's is on Wednesdays
            from 2pm - 7pm, and features only local farmers selling local goods.
            Farmer's Market prices in Portland tend to be higher than in other
            states, but if you develop a relationship with the farmers, you can
            often get special pricing; some may even do barter/exchange. You can
            also time your purchases towards the close of the market, when many
            farmers will agree to sell their remaining product for lower prices
            they they asked earlier in the day. There are one or two other
            year-round Markets in Portland, and the full season will start again soon.

            Uncle Paul's Produce Market (http://www.unclepaulsproduce.com/) is on
            SE Hawthorne at 23rd, and features very low produce prices on
            primarily commercial produce. Uncle Paul stocks second-tier produce
            that other stores won't take, so the produce may not last as long in
            your frig or may have more blemishes than what you would find at NSM,
            Whole Foods, or Fred Meyer's, but it is a lot cheaper. His organic
            selection varies day-to-day.

            I'm not as familiar with Alberta Food Co-Op and Food Front, but both
            are local, community-oriented co-ops that may have discount plans for
            member/owners, and most likely have free boxes. Alberta is on NE
            Alberta around 15th; Food Front is in NW Portland near 23rd and Vaughn.

            Asian markets are an option for cheap produce and seaweed, but you'd
            have to be willing to give up organics. Fubonn, on 82nd near SE
            Powell, is th eone I am most aware of.

            With regards to organic produce, it may be worth researching which
            vegetables and fruits are least inclined to absorb chemicals from
            commercial farming practices. Some fruits and vegetable will have a
            higher toxicity than others, and you may be able to buy some
            commercial produce without overly compromising your values, at least
            with regards to your personal health.

            There are also some local folks in the raw community endeavoring to
            provide us with access to high-quality raw foods at better prices.
            Ericha Clare, who responded earlier, is one; she has a boutique in NE
            Portland. I'm another; I sell high-quality superfoods for super-cheap,
            though my distributor recently raised my prices due to my low sales
            volume so I've had to raise prices a bit. I've got raw nori sheets (50
            for $18), cacao, and the like. Nora Lenz supplies raw produce and nuts
            in bulk quantities, and advertises her availability here on the
            RawPortland list; her website is http://www.rawtreasure.com/, though
            the website doesn't list her seasonal produce picks.

            I'll echo others' comments on sprouting. I purchased a lovely tiered
            green plastic sprouting tray at Mirador for $35 (before a 5% discount
            for being a People's Food Co-Op member) and have sprouting steadily
            for almost two months now. It's extremely cheap, it's easy, and it's
            completely alive!

            Oh... here's another trick you can do -- you can buy produce in bulk
            from New Seasons Market for only a 25% markup. You'd have to go in
            with others (a case of anything is hard to eat on your own without
            spoilage), but produce tends to have a high retail markup because of
            spoilage. When I was doing this in the fall, I was getting cases of
            organic kale for $1.50/head (vs. $2.29) and organic avocados for
            something like $1.75 each (versus $2.50). Then again, avocados are on
            sale right now for either $1.50 or $1.95 each at NSM, and kale was
            recently $1.50/head, retail.

            I live in a neighborhood with a couple of different markets, and I
            shop at many of them throughout the week, which allows me to compare
            and contrast prices on specific items, ensuring that I get the best
            pricing possible. I don't shop at the large chains for political
            reasons, but one additional advantage of this is that the local stores
            often have extraordinary customer service that can often save me
            money. New Seasons, for instance, will refund you the price of an
            avocado that was spoiled when you took it home, and they will accept
            other forms of return without hassle.

            Good luck!

            -Brion

            --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "staroseltseva"
            <staroseltseva@...> wrote:

            > Dear Community Members,
            >
            > I am sitting here thinking about how am I going to stay devoted to my
            > raw vegan values during these hard times. The combination of low-paid
            > job, need to continue my studies, instability, and fear doesn't leave
            > anything else to do but starve, in order to pursue my dreams.
            >
            > Anyways, I was wandering if you guys have any advice on how to eat raw
            > and organic on tight budget. I used to buy everything from Whole
            > Foods, but I suspect it's not the cheapest way to go. Anyone ordered
            > boxed produce directly from farmers? Anyone made a price comparison
            > between, say, Whole Foods and Fred Meyer? What are you doing to save
            > the buck?
            >
            > Thanks a bunch!

          • Ekaterina Staroseltseva
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
              Greetings, All!

              Thanks a lot for your contribution and support!
              I will definitely try to apply your advice in my journey.
              It's extremely uplifting to realize that you are not alone in this endeavor.
              Special thanks to Brion for the very thorough and helpful information.
              This challenge is turning into a great learning experience! Thank you!

              --
              (503)747-9582
            • Elizabeth
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2009
                I'm new to this group and new to the Raw lifestyle.  I'm already feeling much better physically and mentally.  Thank you for the informative posts.

                Are there any local Raw cooking prep/education classes?

                Thank You!

                ~Elizabeth

              • Gabrielle
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Welcome, Elizabeth, and all newcomers! My spiritual community, Christ
                  the Healer UCC, sponsors the annual Raw and Living Spirit Retreat
                  (www.rawandlivingspirit.org), occasional raw events, and a weekly raw
                  food prep class before our Sunday Supper gathering each week at Kairos
                  UCC, 4790 SE Logus Rd., Milwaukie. We meet in the church kitchen from
                  4:30-5:30 to help the weekly chef finish a 3 course menu that varies
                  each time, so you can have hands on experience of many dishes if you
                  become a regular. For table conversation, we share our personal
                  experiences in response to a weekly theme. After dinner, those who wish
                  are welcome to go deeper into the theme with a story-discussion, closing
                  prayer circle and raw communion.
                  This Sunday Tashi Rana is our chef, making two Thai dishes--Coconut
                  Curry Soup and Raw Pad Thai--to accompany green smoothies and cookies
                  for dessert. Donation for the class and dinner is only $10-$20, sliding
                  scale. Please RSVP if you possibly can by reply email or a message at
                  503-650-4447 so we can plan accordingly.
                  Love,
                  Gabrielle Chavez

                  Elizabeth wrote:

                  > I'm new to this group and new to the Raw lifestyle. I'm already
                  > feeling much better physically and mentally. Thank you for the
                  > informative posts.
                  >
                  > Are there any local Raw cooking prep/education classes?
                  >
                  > Thank You!
                  >
                  > ~Elizabeth

                  > http://www.eset.com

                  > http://www.eset.com
                • brion.oliver
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2009
                    Elizabeth --

                    Welcome! Congratulations on enjoying improved health!

                    You might find Oregon Raw Resource to be a helpful website for you as
                    you venture into the raw foods community. It has a listing of local
                    classes, groups, restaurants, and special events, and you can elect to
                    join the mailing list to receive announcements when the list is
                    updated with new events or other entries. http://OregonRawResource.org/

                    There are a number of active groups in town through which you can get
                    access to much information and community support.

                    Be well!

                    -Brion

                    --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth <whitewater20060303@...>