Re: [RawPortland] Persimmons coming to Portland

  • Nora Lenz
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2008
      Hi fellow persimmon lovers,
      Deb Solheim and I have worked out a way to get some of my lovely persimmons to Portland.  So those of you who emailed your interest before, please get in touch with Deb (DeborahSolheim@...).  They will be arriving in Portland on *December 26*, one week from today, so if anybody else is interested in ordering, please contact me directly at nmlenz@....

      To refresh your memories, these are Hachiya and Hyakume varieties, both the kind that need to be like water balloons before eating.  They ripen slowly and at different rates, so they are the perfect winter sustenance -- you can put them away in a cool (40-60 degrees) room and not worry that they will ripen faster than you can eat them.  I generally keep 200 pounds or so for myself to eat throughout the winter, and they usually last until mid January or so.  Although very fragile once they are ripe, they are a super hardy fruit that can ripen properly in a large range of temperatures and conditions.

      One thing that does adversely affect them is being picked too unripe, which most commercial persimmons are.  That's why most Hachiya or Hyakume persimmons you buy in the store only wrinkle instead of ripening.  They rarely obtain the beautiful translucency, tender skin and intense sweetness that these varieties are known for.  I always make sure the fruit I pick is fully colored, which indicates it will ripen off the tree. This is very important, especially during winter months when it can be very difficult to find ripe fruit in the stores.  Most commercial fruits are not only picked unripe but are kept in conditions that do not allow their sugars to properly develop.

      Don't miss the chance to enjoy some organic, totally ripe fruit this winter!

      Happy holidays, everyone.
      Nora