Re: [RawPortland] vitamix on CL today in PDX

  • joel@mentics.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
      On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Pamela Melcher <dancingcedar@...> wrote:
      > They REALLY do a better job with the green smoothies.

      Do the newer ones do a better job then the old metal 3600? I'm
      borrowing a metal 3600 and it generally leaves some lumps and stuff
      when I make smoothies. And I gave up trying to make thick smoothies
      with it.

      Thanks.
    • Pamela Melcher
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
        Yes, the newer ones do not leave lumps like the old ones.

        I think they have a stronger motor.

        Or maybe it is the configuration of the blades.

        I have used the old metal ones and vastly prefer the new ones.

        There is a point where even the new ones have a problem with thickness.

        Could you try out a newer one at a friend's house?

        Hope this helps.

        Happiness, Health and Abundance for All!

        Pamela Melcher

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
          Thanks, that's encouraging. I should have included one more question with that:

          What about the difference between the 4500 and up? The deals that have
          been referenced here are for the 4500 it seems... is there significant
          increase in performance/convenience between the 4500 and latest
          (5200?)? I know that there is a variable speed dial in the new one,
          but is there any real need for that? Other than that, any reason
          someone would need a 5200 instead of a 4500?

          Thanks!

          On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Pamela Melcher <dancingcedar@...> wrote:
          > Yes, the newer ones do not leave lumps like the old ones.
          >
          > I think they have a stronger motor.
          >
          > Or maybe it is the configuration of the blades.
          >
          > I have used the old metal ones and vastly prefer the new ones.
          >
          > There is a point where even the new ones have a problem with thickness.
          >
          > Could you try out a newer one at a friend's house?
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Happiness, Health and Abundance for All!
          >
          > Pamela Melcher
        • Pamela Melcher
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
            A quick answer.

            I have a super 5000.

            I don't know exactly how it differs from other models.  I am really busy now and do not want to pursue the question of how it differs from other models.  To me that seems like a detail that i do not have time to focus on now.

            My general impression of the Vita Mix company is that it is quite high integrity and they would not bring out new models for reasons of planned obsolescence.

            The differences may concern how many speed controls are available.

            Mine has 3 speed controls

            1 for off/on, one for variable speed, and one for FULL ON.

            I love having 3 speed controls.

            When it is going really fast, things can spatter all over when you add them.

            If something is getting warm and you want to add something without making it get so hot that it is cooked, you can add it when it is at low speed.

            High speed is noisy and i like to run it slower when i can.

            Etc.

            The variable speed ones that are newer than the metal ones cost more than the 2 speed ones which are newer than the metal ones.  I do not know exactly how much more.

            To me it is worth the extra money.

            There are often variable speed ones on Craig's list.  They go FAST.  The best thing to do if you want one from CL is to check it 1 or 2 times a day, and pounce when you see one.

            I mean it that they are often listed and they go FAST!

            I think Vita Mixes are a gift from the Creator.

            The smoothies are the best thing i know for transitioning to raw.

            The liquid food is much better assimilated.

            David Wolfe and Ann WIgmmore live/lived on blended food.  It works.

            Chewing stimulates the release of digestive enzymes and of (i think) endorphins.  So even from the point of view of basic utility it has its place.

            I hope that helps.

            On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Pamela Melcher <dancingcedar@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            > Yes, the newer ones do not leave lumps like the old ones.
            >
            > I think they have a stronger motor.
            >
            > Or maybe it is the configuration of the blades.
            >
            > I have used the old metal ones and vastly prefer the new ones.
            >
            > There is a point where even the new ones have a problem with thickness.
            >
            > Could you try out a newer one at a friend's house?
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Happiness, Health and Abundance for All!
            >
            > Pamela Melcher

          • brion.oliver
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
              My Vita-Mix has a variable-speed dial and I get a lot of use out of
              it. If I had the choice, I would most likely choose one with the dial
              unless the price difference for one without was an extraordinary one.

              The dial is useful for using the Vita-Mix for lower-speed blending,
              which one might do with soups and smoothies that have separated. It's
              also possible, with care, to run the blender with the top off with a
              variable-speed dial, which I often do when I wash the lid immediately
              after initial use but still have some smoothie left over that I am
              working on.

              One can do everything one needs to without the dial, and plenty of
              people make do without one; it's a feature of convenience, and so may
              not be worth the cost to you. I imagine that if you are used to using
              a Vita-Mix without the dial, it's easier to let go of -- at this
              point, I'm so accustomed to it that I would have to adjust to one
              without the dial.

              Good luck!

              -Brion

              --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, joel@... wrote:

              > Thanks, that's encouraging. I should have included one more question
              with that:

              > What about the difference between the 4500 and up? The deals that have
              > been referenced here are for the 4500 it seems... is there significant
              > increase in performance/convenience between the 4500 and latest
              > (5200?)? I know that there is a variable speed dial in the new one,
              > but is there any real need for that? Other than that, any reason
              > someone would need a 5200 instead of a 4500?
              >
              > Thanks!
            • mssarahryan
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 25, 2008
                Hello Raw Portland,

                Happy snowy holidays!

                I read with interest all of the posts a few weeks back, discussing the differences between the various Vitamix blenders, and people's concern about their high cost. I came across this raw food blog posting, with suggestions on how to find a Vitamix for less than $150. Hope this is helpful!

                http://rawfoodrightnow.blogspot.com/2008/12/getting-high-speed-blender-for-cheap.html

                Sarah Ryan
                catalysthands.com