Re: [RawPortland] vitamix on CL today in PDX

  • Pamela Melcher
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
      CL often has these.

      If you check it every day, you will see.

      Act as fast as you can on this.  They are VERY popular.

      If you are too late for this one, diligently persevere and you will be able to get one.

      They are such good quality that they will almost certainly serve you for a long time and even without the warranty you are almost certain to get your money's worth.

      They REALLY do a better job with the green smoothies.

      I LOVE MY VITAMIX!!  It is one of the best  investments i ever made.

      Health, Happiness and Abundance for All,
      Pamela Melcher

      Date: 2008-12-14, 10:49PM PST

      Bought for around $500 and never used, Sacrafice at $200

      GREAT WEIGHT LOSS SYSTEM, SEE DETAILS AT LINK BELOW, COPY AND PASTE FOR FULL DESCRIPTION, THIS IS A PRIVATELY OWNED JUICER

      See DiscountJuicers. com website link:

      http://www.discount juicers.com/ vitamix4500. html

      • Location: Downtown SW
      • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
      PostingID: 958335503

    • joel@mentics.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
        On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Pamela Melcher <dancingcedar@...> wrote:
        > They REALLY do a better job with the green smoothies.

        Do the newer ones do a better job then the old metal 3600? I'm
        borrowing a metal 3600 and it generally leaves some lumps and stuff
        when I make smoothies. And I gave up trying to make thick smoothies
        with it.

        Thanks.
      • Pamela Melcher
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
          Yes, the newer ones do not leave lumps like the old ones.

          I think they have a stronger motor.

          Or maybe it is the configuration of the blades.

          I have used the old metal ones and vastly prefer the new ones.

          There is a point where even the new ones have a problem with thickness.

          Could you try out a newer one at a friend's house?

          Hope this helps.

          Happiness, Health and Abundance for All!

          Pamela Melcher

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
            Thanks, that's encouraging. I should have included one more question with that:

            What about the difference between the 4500 and up? The deals that have
            been referenced here are for the 4500 it seems... is there significant
            increase in performance/convenience between the 4500 and latest
            (5200?)? I know that there is a variable speed dial in the new one,
            but is there any real need for that? Other than that, any reason
            someone would need a 5200 instead of a 4500?

            Thanks!

            On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Pamela Melcher <dancingcedar@...> wrote:
            > Yes, the newer ones do not leave lumps like the old ones.
            >
            > I think they have a stronger motor.
            >
            > Or maybe it is the configuration of the blades.
            >
            > I have used the old metal ones and vastly prefer the new ones.
            >
            > There is a point where even the new ones have a problem with thickness.
            >
            > Could you try out a newer one at a friend's house?
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Happiness, Health and Abundance for All!
            >
            > Pamela Melcher
          • Pamela Melcher
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
              A quick answer.

              I have a super 5000.

              I don't know exactly how it differs from other models.  I am really busy now and do not want to pursue the question of how it differs from other models.  To me that seems like a detail that i do not have time to focus on now.

              My general impression of the Vita Mix company is that it is quite high integrity and they would not bring out new models for reasons of planned obsolescence.

              The differences may concern how many speed controls are available.

              Mine has 3 speed controls

              1 for off/on, one for variable speed, and one for FULL ON.

              I love having 3 speed controls.

              When it is going really fast, things can spatter all over when you add them.

              If something is getting warm and you want to add something without making it get so hot that it is cooked, you can add it when it is at low speed.

              High speed is noisy and i like to run it slower when i can.

              Etc.

              The variable speed ones that are newer than the metal ones cost more than the 2 speed ones which are newer than the metal ones.  I do not know exactly how much more.

              To me it is worth the extra money.

              There are often variable speed ones on Craig's list.  They go FAST.  The best thing to do if you want one from CL is to check it 1 or 2 times a day, and pounce when you see one.

              I mean it that they are often listed and they go FAST!

              I think Vita Mixes are a gift from the Creator.

              The smoothies are the best thing i know for transitioning to raw.

              The liquid food is much better assimilated.

              David Wolfe and Ann WIgmmore live/lived on blended food.  It works.

              Chewing stimulates the release of digestive enzymes and of (i think) endorphins.  So even from the point of view of basic utility it has its place.

              I hope that helps.

              On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Pamela Melcher <dancingcedar@ yahoo.com> wrote:
              > Yes, the newer ones do not leave lumps like the old ones.
              >
              > I think they have a stronger motor.
              >
              > Or maybe it is the configuration of the blades.
              >
              > I have used the old metal ones and vastly prefer the new ones.
              >
              > There is a point where even the new ones have a problem with thickness.
              >
              > Could you try out a newer one at a friend's house?
              >
              > Hope this helps.
              >
              > Happiness, Health and Abundance for All!
              >
              > Pamela Melcher

            • brion.oliver
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
                My Vita-Mix has a variable-speed dial and I get a lot of use out of
                it. If I had the choice, I would most likely choose one with the dial
                unless the price difference for one without was an extraordinary one.

                The dial is useful for using the Vita-Mix for lower-speed blending,
                which one might do with soups and smoothies that have separated. It's
                also possible, with care, to run the blender with the top off with a
                variable-speed dial, which I often do when I wash the lid immediately
                after initial use but still have some smoothie left over that I am
                working on.

                One can do everything one needs to without the dial, and plenty of
                people make do without one; it's a feature of convenience, and so may
                not be worth the cost to you. I imagine that if you are used to using
                a Vita-Mix without the dial, it's easier to let go of -- at this
                point, I'm so accustomed to it that I would have to adjust to one
                without the dial.

                Good luck!

                -Brion

                --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, joel@... wrote:

                > Thanks, that's encouraging. I should have included one more question
                with that:

                > What about the difference between the 4500 and up? The deals that have
                > been referenced here are for the 4500 it seems... is there significant
                > increase in performance/convenience between the 4500 and latest
                > (5200?)? I know that there is a variable speed dial in the new one,
                > but is there any real need for that? Other than that, any reason
                > someone would need a 5200 instead of a 4500?
                >
                > Thanks!
              • mssarahryan
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 25, 2008
                  Hello Raw Portland,

                  Happy snowy holidays!

                  I read with interest all of the posts a few weeks back, discussing the differences between the various Vitamix blenders, and people's concern about their high cost. I came across this raw food blog posting, with suggestions on how to find a Vitamix for less than $150. Hope this is helpful!

                  http://rawfoodrightnow.blogspot.com/2008/12/getting-high-speed-blender-for-cheap.html

                  Sarah Ryan
                  catalysthands.com