Re: [RawPortland] Newbie introduction

  • Marcus
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
      Hi there Heidi, I think you'll find people of varying degrees of raw in this group. If your listening to your body and giving it what it needs then you can do no wrong!

      Me personally I've maintained about a 80/20 ratio of Living/Cooked for several years. It all comes down to doing what is right for you and your body. Especially during transition If your body is craving something that might not be 100% living, it's a better bet to give your body what it's asking for. I recommend anyone wanting to go 100% living to make sure they have all there ducks in a row and get your blood checked out, also be prepared to take super-foods to supplement your body and get blood-work done regularly. I've known people in the last few years that ended up in the emergency room because they were not keeping tabs on their bodies needs and ended up being deficient in some way. For me I am not into giving blood so I eat a few things off the Living Foods category that keep my body happy and in good health. Bottom line is give your body what it's asking for. Otherwise putting eating regime or idealism ahead of your bodies needs is can result in some unpleasant consequences.

       You will find some people find labels and status such as 100% or "vegan" or whatever very important to them and, some can be very uncomfortable with others who do things differently. It's up to each of us to develop a 2 way communication with our bodies so we can act and react in accordance to our bodies needs. This is much easier when you go inside and listen to yourself instead of listening to what others are doing or, say you should be doing. In the end all our bodies are unique and only we can judge for ourselves what is right or wrong for us.

      I always liked what Paul Nison told me once: He said that he doesn't think the focus should be on whether your eating raw living foods or not. The focus should be on giving your body what it's asking for and, make the food you give your body, cooked or not, the very best you can afford.

      Follow these simple rules of co-creation with your body and you should do great!

      On Nov 19, 2008, at 10:27 PM, Heidi Strauch wrote:

      I'm glad to have found this group. We are not completely raw, by any
      means, but experimenting. Other than the standard raw foods that most
      people eat (fruit and veggies) I had not experienced raw food until I
      ate at Cafe Gratitude in Berkeley this summer. My daughter is celiac
      and we went there because it is gluten-free. I realized as I looked
      at the menu that it was raw as well. The food was out-of-this world
      fabulous. Although I was open, I did not expect it to be so
      delicious. I bought their recipe book and everything in it has turned
      out great on my first try. Am itching to get a food dehydrater, but
      our condo kitchen is small.

      Anyway in a nutshell: my husband has Type I Diabetes (but is extremely
      healthy) and vegan (cheats on the eggs sometimes), gluten-free,
      soy-free, yeast-free, sucrose-free. My daughter (almost 6) is
      gluten-intolerant and sensitive to dairy, soy, & walnuts. I am
      sensitive to dairy, soy, most oils. Yikes. So far we aren't aware of
      any sensitivities in our twin boys (almost 3). We eat yummy food but
      it is expensive.

      Question: does anyone know of a good substitute for lecithin or miso?
      It's out for most of my family and is a key ingredient in many of the
      raw foods recipes I've seen.

      I look forward to learning from all of you.

      Heidi.

    • Stacey Fassino
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
        Hi Heidi,

        Are you familiar with South River Miso Company?  They make an Azuki Bean Miso, that is soy and gluten free.  Their misos are so wonderful and come in glass jars.  Here is a link for the Azuki Bean: http://www.southrivermiso.com/store/p/3-Azuki-Bean-Miso.html. Although it is available through the website only during certain times of the year, stores seem to carry it year round.  I know that Alberta Co-op has it.

        Best Wishes,
        Stacey