Fresh Pistachios

  • Nora Lenz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      Hi Raw Portland,
      It was nice meeting many of you last weekend at the Almond pick up!

      Some of you mentioned that you were interested in pistachios but I note that the database still has zero orders.  This is the tool that I am using to determine the level of interest, so it is very important that you enter your order if you want pistachios.  If you're unsure how to use the database or just don't want to be bothered (it's ok!), you can just email your order to me and I'll add it for you.  Even if you've already emailed me about pistachios, please do so again.

      These uncertified organic pistachios are being harvested and dried on a small (uncertifiable) farm right now.  As soon as they are dry enough to wrap up without molding, they will be shipped to me.  I will only be able to keep the database open for another week or two.

      If any of you are thinking about preparedness in light of the serious economic developments we're facing, pistachios are a fine choice.  Their partial shell makes them very shelf stable, even if they're only stored in a cool environment.  They can be frozen (double bagged or stored in glass) and kept for a year or more.  At $9/lb., they are an excellent buy as well.  Living Tree Community sells their organic pistachios for $11/lb.  Here are some additional facts about pistachios, jfyi:

      The pistachio is the most nutrient dense of all the nuts, containing high quantities of B essential nutrients, thiamin, vitamin B6, potassium, and lutein, an antioxidant for eye health. The pistachio is an anti-oxidant powerhouse, containing more cholesterol-lowering phytosterols than any other nut (and more than a cup of green tea!). Pistachios are also among those nuts with the highest fiber--supplying 12% of the daily recommended amount in just one ounce--which aids digestion and management of blood sugar levels. In addition to all these benefits, the pistachio is a low fat and low calorie food compared to other nuts, containing just 3 calories each--and you won't be able to eat too many since each one must be shelled.

      Please let me know if I can answer any questions.  There is more info about pistachios in the database at the Yahoo RawPortland homepage.

      Thank you!

      Nora