Did You Know That It Is ILLEGAL To Ship Unpasteurized Nuts?????

  • sunnymilanna
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2008
      I sure didn't know this:

      http://www.dansranch.com/

      "Very Important ! Please Read ALL the information on this page before
      ordering !

      Certain restrictions apply: You Must be able to physically stop by
      the ranch for your purchase, you can purchase up to 100 pounds a day
      per person in your party, but there is no limit to the number of
      persons in your party and there is no limit to how many successive days
      you can return to the ranch.

      The Links below are for payment of valid PICK-UP ONLY orders. Do Not
      Pay us for Almonds that you can not pick up! According to recent USDA
      and California Almond Board Regulations: we can not ship unpasteurized
      nuts ! Again: unless you can pick up these nuts yourself then please do
      not purchase them, as we have no way to deliver them to you!"
    • Jeff Rogers
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2008
        No, I don't believe this to be accurate. According to what I have followed regarding the Almond board of California, the USDA, and the Almond Action Plan, the pasteurization requirements are at the "handlers level". The ruling mentions roadside markets (by the growers), but does not say that is the only way they may sell their almonds. The handlers must pasteurize their almonds, but I understand that the growers still have the right to sell directly to the customer without the requirement of pasteurization, such as selling at roadside markets. I also understand this to include phone and mail order, as well as internet.

        If anyone can quote the ruling that specifically suggests otherwise, please let me know.

        Here is a page from the Almond Board of California, which includes the PDF of the ruling, as well as other links:
        - or -

        Thanks,

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2008
          If what YOU are saying is really true, then, that would be good news.

          It is best for everyone to check on this to be sure what the LAW
          says. Many nut growers are now requiring that the buyers actually
          pick up the nuts because they refuse to ship them. Maybe the nut
          growers who are still shipping the nutes either don't know what the
          law says or they are just ignoring the law.

          re:

          --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Rogers <jeff@...> wrote:

          > No, I don't believe this to be accurate. According to what I have
          > followed regarding the Almond board of California, the USDA, and
          the
          > Almond Action Plan, the pasteurization requirements are at the
          > "handlers level". The ruling mentions roadside markets (by the
          > growers), but does not say that is the only way they may sell
          their
          > almonds. The handlers must pasteurize their almonds, but I
          understand
          > that the growers still have the right to sell directly to the
          customer
          > without the requirement of pasteurization, such as selling at
          roadside
          > markets. I also understand this to include phone and mail order,
          as
          > well as internet.
          >
          > If anyone can quote the ruling that specifically suggests
          otherwise,
          > please let me know.
          >
          > Here is a page from the Almond Board of California, which includes
          the
          > PDF of the ruling, as well as other links:
          > http://www.almondboard.com/Programs/content.cfm?
          ItemNumber=890&snItemNumber=450

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 2008
            Maybe the growers who are shipping do know the rules! The California
            growers I have purchased bulk raw (unpasteurized) organic almonds from
            in the past are still shipping them.

            I have still not read anything in the rules forbidding growers from
            shipping unpasteurized almonds. It may be that some growers are
            nervous about the rules and aren't taking chances. I would still like
            clarification. If anyone knows of specific rules addressing growers
            shipping almonds, please post it to the list.

            Thanks,

            Jeff