Re: [RawPortland] Hey!!

  • Nora Lenz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2008
      "I know raw foodists eat lots of
      nuts/seeds/avocados . Is that healthy?"

      No, it's not, but eating lots of fats is necessary in transition, imo.  I've had to gradually decrease my fat consumption over the last 8 years of being 100% raw.  For the first 3 years, tho, I ate nuts everyday, sometimes up to a pound at a sitting!  Like you, I was also hypoglycemic and eating just fruits and greens didn't allow me to manage my symptoms the way fat did.  Fats are very important in transition because they divert almost as much energy to digestion as cooked food does, thereby slowing down cleansing symptoms like the ones we call "hypoglycemia".  Although all that fat consumption is necessary for most people, it doesn't come without a cost.  Eating lots of fats produces other symptoms, like those caused by yeast 'overgrowth', especially if the fats are combined with fruits.  It's necessary to eat fruit too because our bodies actually need sugar more than fat.  Fruit often gets the blame for the symptoms that are really caused by overconsumption of fat.  Fats mess up the body's ability to deliver sugar to the cells, so it floats around in the bloodstream, inviting yeast as a means of disposal.

      For awhile you just have to balance your emotional (i.e. symptom suppressing) need for fat with the symptoms that eating too much of it produces.

      Plus, eating fats can be made less detrimental by eating them alone or only with greens or non-sweet fruits and not eating fruits for a few hours after fat.  Eventually my hypoglycemia was sufficiently resolved so that I could stop eating fats during the day, and just eat fruit until dinner time, when I would have fats.  I still do that, but I only eat fats once or twice a week.  If you can handle it, eating only fruit and tender greens and keeping fat consumption low allows sugar metabolism issues like hypoglycemia to heal faster.  It just depends on how severe your symptoms are.

      Hope this helps!
      Nora

    • Julie Vaillancourt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2008
        Thanks, Nora! That does indeed help. Especially when you mentioned the
        yeast buildup. I have eczema and have read that a buildup of yeast-like
        conditions in your body can contribute to it. I will definitely look
        more into all that. I really appreciate your input! I also checked out
        your website. Very cool!

        Thanks again,
        Julie