Hey!!

  • Julie Vaillancourt
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2008
      Hello all! I'm new to this group. I've been dietary vegan (meaning, I
      still wear leather and such) for a year now, and I love it. I am
      probably only 40-50% raw, but I know some raw foodists and really
      like what they have to say. My purpose in being in this group is to
      learn more about being raw (hopefully both pros and cons...to get an
      unbiased view), and perhaps becoming more raw in the near future.

      And while I'm posting, can anyone answer this question for me?? I eat
      a LOT of peanut and/or almond butter. I'm talking like a jar every
      three days. I am hypoglycemic, so I always eat lots of fats/proteins
      whenever I eat fruit/grains... I know a lot about the dangers of too
      many sugars (in fact, I only eat complex carbs and fruits..no refined
      sugars except in mixed drinks from time to time)...so I'm careful
      about my carb intake. But I just don't know about fat consumption.
      How much is too much? And if you're not consuming as many carbs, is
      too much fat a bad thing? I know raw foodists eat lots of
      nuts/seeds/avocados. Is that healthy? I know this is probably a VERY
      commonly asked question, but I just don't know the answer to it, and
      to be quite honest, I'm skeptical of a lot of the research I find out
      about it online.

      Thanks so much, and it's great to be a part of this group!

      Julie
    • Marcus

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2008
          "I know raw foodists eat lots of
          nuts/seeds/avocados . Is that healthy?"

          No, it's not, but eating lots of fats is necessary in transition, imo.  I've had to gradually decrease my fat consumption over the last 8 years of being 100% raw.  For the first 3 years, tho, I ate nuts everyday, sometimes up to a pound at a sitting!  Like you, I was also hypoglycemic and eating just fruits and greens didn't allow me to manage my symptoms the way fat did.  Fats are very important in transition because they divert almost as much energy to digestion as cooked food does, thereby slowing down cleansing symptoms like the ones we call "hypoglycemia".  Although all that fat consumption is necessary for most people, it doesn't come without a cost.  Eating lots of fats produces other symptoms, like those caused by yeast 'overgrowth', especially if the fats are combined with fruits.  It's necessary to eat fruit too because our bodies actually need sugar more than fat.  Fruit often gets the blame for the symptoms that are really caused by overconsumption of fat.  Fats mess up the body's ability to deliver sugar to the cells, so it floats around in the bloodstream, inviting yeast as a means of disposal.

          For awhile you just have to balance your emotional (i.e. symptom suppressing) need for fat with the symptoms that eating too much of it produces.

          Plus, eating fats can be made less detrimental by eating them alone or only with greens or non-sweet fruits and not eating fruits for a few hours after fat.  Eventually my hypoglycemia was sufficiently resolved so that I could stop eating fats during the day, and just eat fruit until dinner time, when I would have fats.  I still do that, but I only eat fats once or twice a week.  If you can handle it, eating only fruit and tender greens and keeping fat consumption low allows sugar metabolism issues like hypoglycemia to heal faster.  It just depends on how severe your symptoms are.

          Hope this helps!
          Nora

        • Julie Vaillancourt
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 24, 2008
            Thanks, Nora! That does indeed help. Especially when you mentioned the
            yeast buildup. I have eczema and have read that a buildup of yeast-like
            conditions in your body can contribute to it. I will definitely look
            more into all that. I really appreciate your input! I also checked out
            your website. Very cool!

            Thanks again,
            Julie