Article: FDA: Irradiating spinach, lettuce OK to kill germs

  • Jeff Rogers
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2008
      You may remember my alerting this list the end of last year about the
      USDA's interest in addressing contamination in leafy greens. They
      welcomed public comment. There was a risk that they would come up with
      a mandatory pasteurization requirement, such as irradiation.

      Well, it looks like they're going with irradiation. The good news:
      it's not mandatory... yet!

      Be sure to read labels! (if they label it)

      Jeff

      FDA: Irradiating spinach, lettuce OK to kill germs

      By Lauran Neergaard, AP Medical Writer
      Thu, Aug. 21, 2008

      WASHINGTON -- Consumers worried about salad safety may soon be able to
      buy fresh spinach and iceberg lettuce zapped with just enough
      radiation to kill E. coli and a few other germs.

      The Food and Drug Administration on Friday will issue a regulation
      allowing spinach and lettuce sellers to take that extra step, a long-
      awaited move amid increasing outbreaks from raw produce.

      Full story:
      http://www.kentucky.com/473/story/497253.html