Re: Raw Food Expense

  • Sally
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hi Shamira,

      The Portland Raw & Living Meetup Group has recipes posted on our
      Message Board, as well as in the Files section of the website. You
      might want to check it out.(Membership in the group is free. The url
      is www.rawfood.meetup.com/206) We also have monthly potlucks and
      other events (restaurant meetups, book discussions, etc.

      I'll also offer you my new favorite, simple recipe from Jennifer
      Cornbleet's "Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 people". It makes one
      very large bowl of soup, so it could be 1 or 2 servings, depending
      on how hungry you are.

      In general, anything with mostly greens is going to be healthier and
      less expensive than nut-heavy dishes. I was also thinking of trying
      to replace the avocado with celery, since that is a thickener as
      well when you blend it, but I haven't tested that variation yet.

      Spinach Apple Soup

      2 cups spinach leaves (tightly packed)
      1/2 apple, peeled & chopped
      1/2 cup water, plus 1/4 cup water to thin, if necessary
      1 tsp fresh lemon juice
      Dash salt
      1/2 ripe avocado, chopped

      Blend the spinach, apple, water, lemon juice and salt together until
      smooth. Add the avocado slices and process until smooth. Add the
      remaining 1/4 cup of water to thin, if necessary and blend briefly.
      Serve immediately (for chilled soup, refrigerate 2 hours before
      serving).

      Variation: Replace spinach with 2 cups chopped chard or kale

      Note: I used 1 cup spinach, 1 cup chard each time I've made it. I
      also served it with some additional apples slices on top.

      Enjoy!

      Sally

      --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "Elesia Ashkenazy"