Raw Food Expense

  • Elesia Ashkenazy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2008
      Dear Raw Readers,

      I have been an avid organic foods eater for years but I am just now
      getting into raw foods. I would really appreciate your favorite tips
      on low-cost yummy recipes, foods, and products. I'm unable to afford a
      dehydrator just yet so I am especially looking for meals that are
      simple to prepare. I'm open to tips, shopping lists, menus, or even
      just your favorite snappy recipe.

      Thank you in advance for any and all advice. And I especially
      appreciate your time.

      Best wishes,

      Shamira
    • Sally
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hi Shamira,

        The Portland Raw & Living Meetup Group has recipes posted on our
        Message Board, as well as in the Files section of the website. You
        might want to check it out.(Membership in the group is free. The url
        is www.rawfood.meetup.com/206) We also have monthly potlucks and
        other events (restaurant meetups, book discussions, etc.

        I'll also offer you my new favorite, simple recipe from Jennifer
        Cornbleet's "Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 people". It makes one
        very large bowl of soup, so it could be 1 or 2 servings, depending
        on how hungry you are.

        In general, anything with mostly greens is going to be healthier and
        less expensive than nut-heavy dishes. I was also thinking of trying
        to replace the avocado with celery, since that is a thickener as
        well when you blend it, but I haven't tested that variation yet.

        Spinach Apple Soup

        2 cups spinach leaves (tightly packed)
        1/2 apple, peeled & chopped
        1/2 cup water, plus 1/4 cup water to thin, if necessary
        1 tsp fresh lemon juice
        Dash salt
        1/2 ripe avocado, chopped

        Blend the spinach, apple, water, lemon juice and salt together until
        smooth. Add the avocado slices and process until smooth. Add the
        remaining 1/4 cup of water to thin, if necessary and blend briefly.
        Serve immediately (for chilled soup, refrigerate 2 hours before
        serving).

        Variation: Replace spinach with 2 cups chopped chard or kale

        Note: I used 1 cup spinach, 1 cup chard each time I've made it. I
        also served it with some additional apples slices on top.

        Enjoy!

        Sally

        --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "Elesia Ashkenazy"