Petition: China Pres: End repression of Tibetans. Join 751,472 signers

  • Pamela Melcher
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2008
      Dear Friends,

      This email contains a way to easily and quickly add
      your name to a petition to the President of China to
      end repression of Tibetans. You can scroll down to
      find the link to the petition.

      It also contains information sources about the current
      situation in Tibet.

      Peace on Earth,
      Pamela Melcher

      The global outcry over Tibet is rising fast - In just
      5 days, 751,472 of us from 192 countries have come
      together to call for restraint and dialog with the
      Dalai Lama. Even more amazing, we have told over 5
      million of our friends about this important campaign -
      that's 1 million people per day!

      We are pushing now to tell 5 million more friends, get
      over 1 million signatures this week, and deliver the
      largest global online petition in history to the
      Chinese government. If you wish, you can forward this
      to a few more friends and family with a personal note
      from you.

      After decades of repression, the Tibetan people are
      crying out to the world for change. The spotlight of
      the upcoming Olympic Games is now on China, and
      Tibetan Nobel peace prize winner the Dalai Lama is
      calling to end all riots and violence through
      restraint and dialogue--he urgently needs the support
      of the world's people.

      China's hardliners are lashing out publicly at the
      Dalai Lama--but we're told that President Hu Jintao
      may believe dialog is the best hope for stability in
      Tibet. China's leadership is right now considering a
      crucial choice between repression and dialog that
      could determine Tibet's--and China's--future.

      We can affect this historic choice – for President Hu,
      China's global reputation matters. He needs to hear
      from us that the 'Made in China' brand and the
      upcoming Olympics in Beijing will succeed only if he
      chooses dialog over the hardliners' repression. An
      avalanche of global people power is moving to get his
      attention. We're closing on our goal of 1 million
      signatures and the largest global online petition in
      history - click below to join the global outcry, and
      then please forward this email to friends and family
      right away:

      http://www.avaaz.org/en/tibet_end_the_violence/52.php?cl=66024841

      China's economy is dependent on "Made in China"
      exports that we all buy, and the government is keen to
      make the Olympics in Beijing this summer a celebration
      of a new and respected China. China is also a
      sprawling, diverse country with much brutality in its
      past, so it has good reasons to be concerned about
      stability. But President Hu must recognize that the
      greatest danger to Chinese stability and development
      today comes from hardliners who advocate escalating
      repression, not from those Tibetans seeking dialog and
      reform.

      We will deliver our petition directly to Chinese
      officials in New York, London and Beijing, but it we
      must reach our goal of 1 million signatures first.
      Please forward this email to your friends with a note
      explaining to your them why this is important, or use
      the tell-a-friend tool to email them--it will come up
      after you sign.

      The Tibetan people have suffered quietly for decades.
      It is finally their moment to speak--we must help them
      be heard.

      With hope and respect,
      Ricken, Pascal, Graziela, Iain, Paul, Galit, Milena,
      Ben and the whole Avaaz team

      Here are some links with more information on the
      Tibetan protests and the Chinese response:

      Crackdown in Tibet, but protests spreading:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/19/tibet.china
      and
      http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/crackdown-on-protests-widens/2008/03/17/1205602289349.html

      Dalai Lama calling for dialog and restraint, and an
      end to violence:
      http://www.dalailama.com/news.216.htm
      and
      http://www.agi.it/world/news/200803191258-pol-ren0032-art.html

      Leaders across Europe and Asia starting to back dialog
      as the way forward:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7300157.stm

      Chinese Prime Minister attacks "Dalai clique", leaves
      door open for talks:
      http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-03/18/content_7813194.htm

      Other Chinese signals:
      http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/China_looks_at_India_to_talk_to_Dalai_Lama/articleshow/2875142.cms
      -----------

      ABOUT AVAAZ
      Avaaz.org is an independent, not-for-profit global
      campaigning organization that works to ensure that the
      views and values of the world's people inform global
      decision-making. (Avaaz means "voice" in many
      languages.) Avaaz receives no money from governments
      or corporations, and is staffed by a global team based
      in London, Rio de Janeiro, New York, Paris, Washington
      DC, and Geneva.

      Don't forget to check out our Facebook and Myspace
      pages!

      To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email.
      Instead, write to info@.... You can also send
      postal mail to our New York office: 260 Fifth Avenue,
      9th floor, New York, NY 10001 U.S.A.

      If you have technical problems, please go to
      http://www.avaaz.org

      http://mail.yahoo.com