Fresh, cheap, organic Mac nuts

  • Nora Lenz
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2008
      Hello Portland raw fooders,
      I have made contact with a small organic farmer in Southern California and will soon have organic
      Macadamias for sale. These were picked two weeks ago and will be shelled the day before they are
      shipped. They'll be two days in transit and will be put in vacuum sealed bags and refrigerated when
      I get them. They are organic but uncertified as the farm is small.

      If you've never tried fresh Macadamias, they are creamy and delicious with a tender crunchy texture.
      They aren't called the "King of Nuts" for nothing! Macadamias are highly valued not only for their
      high nutritional content but for the unique flavor and smoothness they give to raw recipes. One of
      my favorite recipes when I was transitioning was macadamia nuts, strawberries and dates blended in a
      Vitamix. It turns out like a cross between strawberry yogurt and cake frosting (!) and makes a
      great dip for apple slices. Another really great recipe I used to love was Macadamia nut cheese,
      which tastes so much like dairy cream cheese that you can't tell the difference!

      Macadamias are often the most expensive nuts, too. Conventional ones are selling here in the
      Seattle area for $11-16 per pound and it is very difficult to find fresh ones as they are kept in
      unrefrigerated bulk bins. PCC has organic, packaged, refrigerated Macadamias that look fairly good
      but they are nowhere as fresh as these will be and they are $14.50/lb. Here is the best part: not
      only are these nuts going to be better than anything you can get here, they are cheaper! These very
      same nuts are sold by the grower on his own website for $15.50/lb. but I will be selling them for
      only $11/lb. Three pound minimum! If you need shipping, I can ship up to 20 pounds for $9.

      I will be setting up a database for orders on the Raw Portland yahoo groups today.
      In the meantime if you have any questions, feel free to either post them here
      or email privately. If you want to place an order, please wait for the database.

      Best wishes,
      Nora