Re: [RawPortland] Raw (Live) Foods and Bikram Yoga @ John's Landing Studio - Portland, OR

  • Tatyana
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16 8:40 PM
      Hi, I'm new to the group but I wanted to put it out there that, although it's great that there's a focus on raw foods at the yoga studio mentioned below, there doesn't seem to be any focus on food combining.  Personally, I don't think grains should be eaten raw, nor do I think they are necessary to a raw diet.

      I happen to think that most people's digestive systems are not able to completely digest raw grains, even if they might not have any symptoms of indigestion.  What bugs me more than anything else in the raw foods foods world, is a lack of focus on food combining.   Buckwheat oats with sliced apples and nut milk might taste good, but in food combining terms, it is a poor choice.  Unfortunately, the wiki page has a horrible description of food combining but there are a ton of websites out there that offer info and food combining charts.

      I have a background in raw foods and holistic healing.  However, my version of raw foods is a more simple one, like eating an apple by itself on an empty stomach (as with all fruits), and having a salad (no nuts or nut cheeses).  I guess because my background is in colonic irrigation, I have felt my body reject poor combinations because my colon is cleansed regularly.  I guess I'm also frustrated with all the magic potions out there, such as liver cleanses, etc.

      From my own experience with recovery from illness through diet and natural healing, I believe the colon is the first organ that should be cleansed, and that is not going to happen through poor food combining.  Nut milks and juices should be consumed on any empty stomach, at least an hour (or 1.5 - 2 depending on the amount of liquid) before any solid foods are consumed, fruits on their own (or you risk them fermenting and producing alcohol in your digestive tract), and grains - most definitely cooked!  Of course it's fun to cheat every so often, but the every day diet should be quite simple if real health and healing is to take place.

      These are my views based on my experiences and the experiences of others I have known.  I appreciate having a forum in which to share them.  Thank you.

      Tatyana

      The only dream worth having is to dream that you will live while you are alive, and die only when you are dead. To love, to be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and vulgar disparity of the life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget." - Arundhati Roy