Re: [RawPortland] Almonds Transitional, Not Certified

  • Pamela Melcher
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
      Dear Annette,

      I feel the same way as Celeste.

      Thank you for all your work on this.

      Pamela Melcher

      --- Celeste Tanit <blar@...> wrote:

      > Annette (and all),
      > I do not know how almonds are grown and if there are
      > large amounts of
      > pesticides, etc used in non organic almonds. Do we
      > know how long
      > these almonds may have been grown without "the bad
      > stuff"? Or how
      > long it stays in the soil?
      > I am not yet withdrawing my order of 25# but would
      > like to know more
      > as I might decide to order less.
      > Am out of town but picking up email so if anyone
      > knows more about
      > these "transitional" almonds, I would appreciate
      > hearing.
      > All the Best,
      > Celeste
      >
      > On Sep 1, 2007, at 3:19 PM, Annette wrote:
      >
      > > I just saw a post on the RawWashington Yahoo!
      > group from Nora who is
      > > the contact with the almond farmer. The almonds
      > are transitional and
      > > won't be certified for two more years. Knowing
      > this, if you'd like to
      > > change or cancel your order, please get back with
      > me as quickly as
      > > possible.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > > Annette

      http://farechase.yahoo.com/
    • Annette
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
        My understanding is that it requires seven years of following organic
        standards for a farm to be certified. This farm has two years left, so
        I guess the almonds have been organically grown for five years. I don't
        know anything about how long the "bad stuff" stays in the soil.

        The order is in. If you're rethinking your order, I don't think I can
        make changes after today since the weekend was the deadline.

        I was told that the harvest is in mid-September and the almonds should
        be delivered to Seattle mid-October. I will then drive to Seattle to
        get the nuts and will contact everyone so we can make the exchange.

        Annette
      • Celeste Tanit

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
            ... gosh... i was thinking to change, or cancel  my order, but i am still over-sea' s so I did not have enough access to computer.... well... can be done anything?
            thanks! ildiko

            Annette <cloudriver@...> wrote:
            My understanding is that it requires seven years of following organic
            standards for a farm to be certified. This farm has two years left, so
            I guess the almonds have been organically grown for five years. I don't
            know anything about how long the "bad stuff" stays in the soil.

            The order is in. If you're rethinking your order, I don't think I can
            make changes after today since the weekend was the deadline.

            I was told that the harvest is in mid-September and the almonds should
            be delivered to Seattle mid-October. I will then drive to Seattle to
            get the nuts and will contact everyone so we can make the exchange.

            Annette

            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

          • Annette
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
              No problem, Ildiko. I am confident that at $7/pound, I won't have any
              trouble finding someone else to take your ten pounds.

              Annette

              --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, Ildiko <ildikosan@...> wrote:

              > ... gosh... i was thinking to change, or cancel my order, but i am
              still over-sea' s so I did not have enough access to computer....
              well... can be done anything?
              > thanks! ildiko
            • Robyn Cornwell
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
                Annette,

                Do you have a delivery date yet?

                Robyn

                Annette <cloudriver@...> wrote:
                No problem, Ildiko. I am confident that at $7/pound, I won't have any
                trouble finding someone else to take your ten pounds.

                Annette

                --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, Ildiko <ildikosan@. ..> wrote:

                > ... gosh... i was thinking to change, or cancel my order, but i am
                still over-sea' s so I did not have enough access to computer....
                well... can be done anything?
                > thanks! ildiko

              • Annette
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
                  It is my understanding that I'll receive the almonds in mid-October.

                  Annette
                • Robyn Cornwell
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 12, 2007
                    I am moving to Connecticut October 15. Any chance of getting them sooner???
                    Robyn

                    Annette <cloudriver@...> wrote:
                    It is my understanding that I'll receive the almonds in mid-October.

                    Annette

                  • Margie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 13, 2007
                      Hi1

                      I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm moving to Palm Springs, CA in October though not sure of the exact day. A tad sooner would be better for me as well.

                      Thanks!
                      Warmly,
                      Margie