[RE][RawPortland] Almond confusion (was BREAKING NEWS...)

  • Tanya Petrich
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2007
      Thanks, Jeff. I'll do my best to offer support from my end as far as letter writing, spreading the word, etc. Thank you for your information!

      Tanya

      Subject : [RawPortland] Almond confusion (was BREAKING NEWS...)

      Date : Fri, 24 Aug 2007 05:53:29 -0700

      From : Jeff Rogers <jeff@...>

      To : RawPortland@yahoogroups.com

      The ruling is that ALL almonds grown in California (which is the only

      state commercially producing almonds) and destined for the U.S.,

      Canada, and Mexico, MUST be pasteurized beginning September 1st.

      While the Almond Board of California had initiated this ruling, which

      was backed by the USDA, the Almond Board then asked for a 6 month

      extension, as they said they were not ready for the full compliance

      (pasteurization facilities must be certified). This would have

      extended the date to March 1, 2008 and would have given us more time

      to attempt to have this ruling reversed. The USDA denied the

      extension, but are allowing facilities that have not yet been

      certified to pasteurize almonds prior to being certified.

      While this is an unfair ruling for organic almond growers (no organic

      almonds have ever been reported to have a case of salmonella

      poisoning) and raw foodists, we still have a big loophole for

      purchasing unpasteurized almonds: We can purchase directly from the

      farmers. Farmers are allowed to sell their product directly to the

      public, such as in roadside stands. They are allowed to sell up to

      100 pounds per person per day directly to consumers. This SHOULD

      apply to mail/phone/internet orders directly with consumers, so shop

      directly with the growers, such as Anderson's Almonds, and Raw from

      the Farm, etc. Here in Seattle, Nora Lenz (rawschool.com) has

      arranged with a farmer to purchase unpasteurized almonds bulk.

      RawPortland members can work together to secure good bulk almond

      deals, otherwise order directly.

      PLEASE... still send letters/emails (call too) to all parties

      involved (the Almond Board, USDA, California Gov. and Senators, and

      your own congressmen, etc.) in this issue and voice your

      disappointment. (see saveouralmonds.com or whatwouldJesuspasteurize.com)

      Jeff