Article: Organic almond supporters roast pasteurization plan

  • Jeff Rogers
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24 6:19 AM
      Organic almond supporters roast pasteurization plan

      George Raine, Chronicle Staff Writer

      Thursday, August 23, 2007

      A new food regulation that mandates the pasteurization of California
      almonds leaves a bad taste in the mouth of Jesse Schwartz, a purveyor
      of raw organic almond butter and other natural foods in Berkeley.

      For 25 years, as president of Living Tree Community Foods, he has
      done business with small Central Valley farmers, and now, effective
      Sept. 1, he'll have to buy raw nuts for processing from Italy, Spain
      and Turkey - almonds of lesser quality, he will tell you.

      "Almonds are a part of the heritage of the American people, and it
      makes me very sad that they're about to dump a fumigant on our
      American heritage," Schwartz said, referring to a method of
      pasteurization that involves chemicals.

      Full Story:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/23/
      BUE8RN9HJ.DTL&type=printable