Almond confusion (was BREAKING NEWS...)

  • Jeff Rogers
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2007
      The ruling is that ALL almonds grown in California (which is the only state commercially producing almonds) and destined for the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, MUST be pasteurized beginning September 1st. While the Almond Board of California had initiated this ruling, which was backed by the USDA, the Almond Board then asked for a 6 month extension, as they said they were not ready for the full compliance (pasteurization facilities must be certified). This would have extended the date to March 1, 2008 and would have given us more time to attempt to have this ruling reversed. The USDA denied the extension, but are allowing facilities that have not yet been certified to pasteurize almonds prior to being certified.

      While this is an unfair ruling for organic almond growers (no organic almonds have ever been reported to have a case of salmonella poisoning) and raw foodists, we still have a big loophole for purchasing unpasteurized almonds: We can purchase directly from the farmers. Farmers are allowed to sell their product directly to the public, such as in roadside stands. They are allowed to sell up to 100 pounds per person per day directly to consumers. This SHOULD apply to mail/phone/internet orders directly with consumers, so shop directly with the growers, such as Anderson's Almonds, and Raw from the Farm, etc. Here in Seattle, Nora Lenz (rawschool.com) has arranged with a farmer to purchase unpasteurized almonds bulk. RawPortland members can work together to secure good bulk almond deals, otherwise order directly.

      PLEASE... still send letters/emails (call too) to all parties involved (the Almond Board, USDA, California Gov. and Senators, and your own congressmen, etc.) in this issue and voice your disappointment. (see saveouralmonds.com or whatwouldJesuspasteurize.com)

      Jeff

      On Aug 23, 2007, at 10:57 PM, Tanya Petrich wrote:

      I'm confused about this almond issue...I received conflicting emails this week regarding the pasteurization initiative and I'm not sure which is the most accurate. (i.e. see attached newsletter which states that almonds WILL be pasteurized beginning Sept 1) Is this going to go into effect on Sept 1? Does anyone know or have the inside scoop? Just curious...

      Thanks,
      Tanya

      Subject : [RawPortland] BREAKING NEWS from RawFoodsNewsMagazine.com

      Date : Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:06:55 EDT

      From : vegwriter@aol.com

      To : RawPortland@yahoogroups.com

      Feel free to circulate the attached newsletter widely.

      Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at

      Looking for the Hottest New Ringtones?
      Find them at Lycos Mobile. Get 10 Bonus Tones today!