Depleted Uranium - Papers by Dr. Gabriel Cousens M.D. and David Wolfe

  • Pamela Melcher
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12 3:25 AM
      Depleted Uranium - Scientific Paper by Dr. Gabriel
      Cousens, M.D. 08/07/2007

      Aloha My Friends:
      Enclosed is a scientific paper prepared by Dr. Gabriel
      Cousens M.D. On a
      subject that is one of our largest environmental
      challenges. Everyone has
      had exposure to this carcinogenic radioactive
      substance. There is no way to
      avoid it, since it is in the air we breath. Please
      share this information
      with all you know, and be advised that Natural
      Cellular Defense is showing a high affinity with
      Depleted Uranium, making it a very valuable supplement
      for its' removal from
      our body.

      Aloha Nui Loa,
      Jason D. Groode

      P.S. You are welcome to personalize the contact
      information included within
      this scientific paper, so those interested in
      information will contact you
      directly.

      DEPLETED URANIUM
      A CRIME AGAINST WISDOM

      By Gabriel Cousens, M.D.

      The Issue of Depleted Uranium (DU) is extraordinarily
      important. Though it
      represents a clear threat to the health of all
      humanity, and all life forms
      on planet Earth, it also represents a clear debasement
      and loss of any
      moral or ethical standards by the U.S. and by the rest
      of the world in
      allowing DU to be used in warfare. Scientists, medical
      professionals, war
      veterans, active duty personnel, international lawyers
      and the global
      human community are calling for an awareness of this
      crisis and simply to
      stop the use of Depleted Uranium, in order to preserve
      life on the planet.

      It is a crisis that is clearly greater than even
      cancer or HIV/AIDS. It is
      contributing to an awesome increase in all types of
      cancers, birth defects,
      and disease in people, as well as plant and wildlife
      all over the world.

      According to Geophysicist Leuren Moret, the equivalent
      of atomic bombs
      released by the use of DU in Iraq in 2003 is 400,000
      Hiroshima bombs. We
      need to be clear that these DU particles have a
      half-life of 4.5 billion
      years. In other words, its effects will not blow away
      in a few years.

      DU does not mean it is not radioactive. Depleted
      Uranium is 60%
      as radioactive as pure U-238 and it is 99.3% pure
      U-238, .7% U-235.

      Upon impact, there is a tremendous amount of heat, up
      to 5,000 degrees
      Fahrenheit, which creates ceramic Depleted Uranium
      Oxide particles (DUO)
      which are small enough to be inhaled into the lungs,
      and light enough
      to travel in the upper levels of our atmosphere.

      This is a global issue. The DU has been given to a
      variety of national
      armies, and it needs to be addressed on an
      international level. It is not
      about right or wrong in a limited sense. It is not
      even a political
      question. It is a question of common sense. As Martin
      Luther King, Jr. said,
      We can have a future of nonviolence, or a future of
      nonexistence. Depleted
      Uranium, as we will see in a moment, is a future that
      can take us into
      nonexistence.

      In 1991, an estimated 375 tons of Depleted Uranium
      were dumped on Iraq, and
      approximately 2200 tons were dumped in the war in
      2003. According to geiger
      counter readings in four different sites, the
      radiation levels were between
      one and two thousand times higher than normal
      background radiation.
      Millions of Iraqis have been affected. Of the 697,000
      American troops that
      were there in 1991, about half of them have since
      reported serious medical
      problems and significant increases in birth defects in
      their newborn
      children.

      For perspective, in Vietnam, about 10% of veterans
      reported problems, and in
      WWII about 3% reported, and now we are looking at 50%.
      About 1/3rd of the
      Iraq vets 230,000 people are on Veterans
      Administration (VA) Disability.
      That is a huge increase over previous wars.

      What we are looking at is something beyond the
      imagination. DU has been
      blamed on the health level for the effects of the Gulf
      War Syndrome,
      including chronic muscle and joint pain, fatigue, and
      memory loss among at
      least 200,000 soldiers. Cancer in Iraq, according to a
      UN Subcommission,
      seems to have increased between 7 and 10 times, and
      deformities, or
      congenital defects between 4 and 6 times expected
      levels of the norm. A
      United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority report said up
      to 500,000 people
      would die before the end of the century due to
      radioactive debris left
      behind in the desert. The use of Depleted Uranium has
      lead to birth defects
      in the children of our veterans, and it is believed to
      be a cause of
      anophtalmos, meaning babies born without eyes. The
      usual rate for this is
      one in fifty million births. In Baghdad, they had
      eight cases in just two
      years.

      A study of 251 Gulf War Veterans from Mississippi
      conducted by the Veterans
      Administration showed that 67% of veterans had
      children with severe
      illnesses, missing eyes, blood infections, respiratory
      problems, and fused
      fingers. This is very significant data. Their babies
      were born after the war
      they were deemed to have severe defects. The newborns
      had missing: brains,
      arms, eyes, organs. . . they had blood diseases. The
      Gulf War Veterans came
      back with DU in their clothing, bodies, and semen.
      These were people who
      had normal babies before they went over there, now
      they are running 67%
      birth defects. The DU is in their semen, and when they
      have intercourse they
      are infecting their mates, as well.

      There is a tremendous amount of research throughout
      the world. It took us 30
      years to prove that lung cancers were related to
      smoking, we seem to have
      the same kind of denial going on with the use of DU.
      The Army is in
      a difficult place because DU is an incredible weapon.
      It is a superior
      weapon for destroying an enemy tanks and society. DU
      is the most devastating
      weapon we have. Unfortunately, it is another form of
      nuclear warfare.
      According to Dr. Caldell from Australia, Leuren Moret,
      a Geoscientist who
      works almost
      around the clock educating citizens about this issue,
      has one of the best
      bio-physics and humanitarian understanding of the
      issue. She is talking
      about the genetic future of humanity, which is at risk
      from the use of
      DU. She points out that vast regions around the world,
      as well as in our
      atmosphere are contaminated with DU. She makes the
      point that within four
      days, DU is already in the United States, carried by
      the winds and dust
      storms from the Sahara Desert, coming across in the
      hurricanes, dropping
      more intensively in Florida, Texas, and the East Coast
      of the US, but
      impacts the entire planet. Moret is an expert in
      atmospheric dust. These
      dust storms are millions of square miles and transport
      millions of tons of
      sand dust around the world.

      There is a creeping awareness that something
      ANTI-HUMAN AND POWERFULLY
      DELETERIOUS TO ALL LIFE ON THE PLANET is going on.
      Even the World Health
      Organization in 2003 said that they expect the global
      cancer rates to
      increase 50% by the year 2020. The infant mortality,
      which began to go down
      when they had a nuclear test ban in 1963, is now
      rising around the world.
      This is an indicator of radioactive pollution.

      Our Veterans are particularly affected by Depleted
      Uranium. The use of DU in
      Iraq is not a isolated issue. The UN used it in the
      Balkans; it is a problem
      in Afghanistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, as
      well. These are the
      kinds of things that the reports are bringing back,
      though much of this
      information has been suppressed. If you were in a
      Bradley Fighting Vehicle,
      you might be coming home with rectal cancer from
      sitting on DU ammunition
      boxes. The young women are reporting problems with
      endometriosis, which is
      the lining of the uterus not functioning right; 18-19
      year olds are coming
      back from the Middle East with uterine cancer. . . the
      problem is that they
      are not being diagnosed, so this information is not
      showing up in the
      official military records. There is a group of 20
      soldiers that fought from
      Kuwait to Baghdad in 2003 all fighting on the ground -
      eight of them now
      have malignancies, a very high figure for people in
      their 20s and 30s.
      The mental state is also affected. DU Oxides, created
      at high temperatures,
      are insoluble and 100 times smaller than a white blood
      cell. The soldiers
      breathe in these particles through the nose into the
      olfactory and these
      particles go to the brain, affecting cognitive and
      other levels of brain
      function. There is significant supporting research on
      this, but for our
      purposes here we are trying to keep this simple, but
      there is a particular
      physiology that is being affected. It damages the mood
      control mechanism in
      the brain.

      The effect on the brain was studied by the World
      Health Organization (WHO),
      and they published a survey in the Journal of the
      American Medical
      Association (AMA) which was very interesting. They
      could see the variation
      on the effect of mental functioning. In Japan it was
      8.8 percent; in
      Nigeria, 4.7 percent; Ukraine (where they had
      Chernobyl) 20.4 percent; Spain
      9.2 percent; Italy 8.2 percent; France (where there is
      75 percent reliance
      on nuclear power) 18.4 percent; Mexico 12.2%; the
      United States 26.2
      percent, the highest. We have to remember that we have
      done a lot of nuclear
      testing in the U.S. and we are paying the price.

      We are looking at a threat to the whole world
      population, that includes all
      living systems: the plants, the animals, the bacteria.
      . . everything is
      being affected. It is in the air, the water, and the
      soil. It comes across
      not only in hurricanes, but in what we call the
      stratosphere such as where
      the spacecraft go. DU has been found on the surface of
      spacecraft. So it's a
      little bit different than the upper atmosphere. We can
      call it the
      lower-orbital space. It is coming across very high up
      and then comes down in
      the rains.

      In the U.S., water and milk have 15 times the amount
      of DU that vegetables
      do. Animals concentrate the DU in their cells at 30
      times the level of their
      environment. It is imperative that we consider whether
      we want to consume
      flesh food in the light of this reality.

      Depleted Uranium is used by a variety of countries,
      about 17 at this point.
      These countries are CURRENTLY using/stockpiling DU
      weaponry: U.S., Great
      Britain, France, Russia, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand,
      Korea, Bahrain, Israel,
      Jordan, Egypt, Pakistan, Japan, Thailand, South Korea,
      Saudi Arabia, Greece,
      Turkey, and Kuwait. So it is not a small thing. Helen
      Caldicott has said,
      "Never in my wildest dreams did I think that the U.S.
      would be donating
      nuclear shells to poison it own soldiers and
      surrounding several civilian
      populations with radioactivity."

      In 1996 the UN passed a resolution specifically about
      DU, that DU weapons
      are Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD). They are
      illegal under all
      international laws and treaties, and the European
      Parliament in 2001 passed
      a resolution against DU, and that resolution was
      actually the result of the
      use of DU by NATO in Bosnia. NATO and peace personnel
      had much higher rates
      of leukemia as a result.

      At this moment, the countries of Yugoslavia, Iraq, and
      Afghanistan are
      radiologically/radioactively uninhabitable due to the
      military application
      of these nuclear weapons. The amount of birth defects
      in Iraq has
      distinctly increased, based on data from a variety of
      studies by Iraqi
      physicians. What we are dealing with is a high level
      denial, even though we
      are getting very powerful data, particularly from
      Iraq. In Bastra, after
      Gulf War I, there was maybe one baby a week born with
      birth defects, now it
      is 10-12 a day. There have been International
      Conferences where they have
      reported their data, such as the World Uranium Weapons
      Conference
      at the University of Hamburg, Germany in October,
      2003. After Gulf War I,
      the frequency of cancer cases increased five-fold,
      with lung, leukemia,
      breast, skin, lymphoma, and liver cancer cases being
      the biggest. Solid
      tumors were more frequent.

      But there was a sharp increase in most types of
      cancers. Lung was a
      five-fold increase and now we are looking at possibly
      a six-fold increase in
      the U.S. this year (2006). Lymphoma is four-fold,
      breast was six-fold,
      larynx was four-fold, and skin was an eleven-fold
      increase in cancer. Among
      the less common cancers the incidence was sharper:
      uterine cancer ten-fold;
      colon six-fold; hypernephroma (kidney) seven-fold;
      malignant myeloma
      (bone cancer), sixteen-fold; liver, eleven-fold;
      ovary, sixteen-fold;
      perinatal tumor twenty times greater. These are
      horrendous statistics.

      The results clearly show a change in the pattern of
      different types of
      cancer as well as the increasing cancer rates. What we
      need to also
      understand is that these rates come on very
      specifically, such as
      four years later you have an increase in leukemia
      which is typical of what
      you would see with radiation exposure. You have an
      increase in still births,
      congenital abnormalities, and infertility. The still
      births increased
      190%. Congenital abnormalities 520%; infertility 570%.
      The same kind of
      results are being reported in Bosnia.

      If we look further, basically a planetary problem we
      start to look at some
      other studies that are going on. In Iraq, looking at
      some of the
      epidemiologies of the Iraq doctors, what we are seeing
      is basically an
      incredible ten-fold average increase in all cancers.

      In Italy, the Italian/Kosovo Study showed that
      although the normal risk for
      leukemia is 1.5 deaths per 100,000, that according to
      the Royal Society the
      Italian/Portuguese Peacekeepers had up to 42 leukemia
      deaths per 100,000 a
      significant increase from 1.5. This is what got people
      so upset in Europe
      over the use of Depleted Uranium, and why the European
      community has voted
      against the use of DU weaponry.

      In 1997-98 the Balkan medias reported a dramatic
      increase of leukemia and
      other cancer development within the population of
      Srpska as well as an
      increase in malformations.

      So again, not just Iraq, but in the Balkans we are
      having this kind of
      thing. Cows in this region showed reduced and bloody
      milk production, and in
      other cows their production stopped completely. In
      several cases, calves had malformations, born without
      skin, missing hooves
      and tongues, similar levels of defects to what we are
      seeing in the human
      population all over the world.

      The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs reports that
      DU has an effect on the
      shape of chromosomes in terms of increase of
      [sister-chromated exchange].
      People from all over the world have expressed concern.
      The Gulf War Syndrome
      is a result of a kind of political non-thinking as
      Henry Kissinger put it
      succinctly: Military men are just dumb. Stupid animals
      to be used as pawns
      in foreign policy. Kissinger's position is one of
      total moral bankruptcy.

      This is what we are facing. The Gulf War Syndrome
      includes chronic fatigue,
      headache, rashes, joint pain, muscle pain nerve
      damage, neurological damage,
      kidney damage, cardiovascular disease, thyroid
      disease, multiple cancers,
      autoimmune deficiencies, fevers and night sweats,
      fluid build-up, sleep
      disturbances, abnormal births and birth defects,
      menstrual problems, reduced
      IQ, confusion, memory loss, blood in stools,
      Epstein-Barr Syndrome, genetic
      alternations, sinus diseases, loss of smell, unusual
      hair loss, chemical
      sensitivities, asthma, and vision problems, just to
      name a small portion.

      This is very, very serious, and we need to look deeply
      and investigate: why
      are people doing it, and is this even legal, using the
      perspective of
      International Law and the international legal
      community.

      The biggest concern when we look at the Depleted
      uranium issue, and the use
      of atomic energy in general, is that this affects
      every single living thing
      on the planet. The genome for the entire planet for
      all humanity -
      potentially for all time - is being affected by DU. We
      are still arguing
      about whether or not nuclear radioactivity causes a
      problem. There was a
      study done in the U.S. that if you are within 100
      miles of a nuclear plant -
      and we have 110 nuclear plants in the US (the most of
      any country in the
      world) they found, according to the Center for
      Disease Control on Breast
      Cancer Deaths between 1985 and 1989, that anyone
      within 100 miles of a
      nuclear plants is where two-thirds of all breast
      cancer deaths occurred in
      the U.S. DU is adding insult to that injury.

      Other high-radiation places that we should be
      concerned about are Los Alamos
      National Laboratory in New Mexico; the Idaho Nuclear
      Engineering Lab in
      Idaho; and Hanford in Washington State, where
      Plutonium is used.
      Some people feel they have contaminated the entire
      Columbia River Watershed,
      almost the entire state of Washington.

      So the immediate effects of this exposure is a
      metallic taste in the mouth.
      Our soldiers are experiencing: muscle aches, loss of
      energy, incontinence,
      destruction of the neuromuscular system. As the
      Uranium decays, it
      turns into other radioactive isotopes. Teeth start to
      fall apart because the
      Uranium competes with calcium. It is an extraordinary
      problem and they say
      there is no treatment, but I think there is. And for
      certain there is prevention. Stop using DU. Let us
      look at the problem a
      little bit more, and take a look at what needs to
      happen.

      On a psycho-spiritual level the cause of the problem
      is EGO. Ego takes us
      into the very darkest regions of the causes of war,
      which we can call greed,
      profit, racism, religious injustice, ethnocentrism,
      etc. But now we have
      taken things to a new level, because we are at this
      point finding that the
      EGO has become a planetary parasite that threatens to
      kill and destroy a
      whole world.

      The laws and customs of war (humanitarian law)
      includes all treaties
      governing military operations, weapons and protection
      of victims of war as
      well as all customary international law on these
      subjects. In other words,
      in evaluating whether a particular weapon is legal or
      illegal when there is
      not a specific treaty, the whole of humanitarian law
      must be consulted.

      What has happened to our civilization? Have we lost
      contact with the meaning
      of life, or what it means to be a human being? Have we
      lost contact with the
      basic laws of human interaction. Are we willing to
      take responsibility to
      turn this around? Do we want to turn this situation
      from a lose-lose
      situation, to an inspiration to shift world
      consciousness so that we are not
      destroying the planet?

      We do have some ways to do this. I hope in time,
      depending on funding, we
      should be able to start certain programs to clean up
      the environment of
      radioactivity. Such things are available, and will be
      discussed when we
      put them into action. In the meantime we have
      discussed some preventatives.
      One of the simplest, and least expensive is Natural
      Cellular Defense (NCD),
      containing a form of zeolite, which was used in
      Chernobyl to neutralize the
      radiation after nuclear incident polluted the entire
      environment. In over 40
      people examined at the Tree of Life Rejuvenation
      Center, 39 of the 40 had
      DU in brain, breast and liver, and in
      one week in our detox fasting spiritual program, 99
      percent of the
      participants were DU-free. Zeolites, in the form of
      this patented product,
      Natural Cellular Defense, are indicating a very high
      affinity for DU through
      its; initial testing. Currently there is a double
      blind, placebo study
      taking place at the V.A. hospitals with fifty veterans
      returning
      from the war zones of Iraq and Afghanistan. It is
      hoped that this study
      will be completed and published by the end of this
      year, which will verify
      the efficacy of this product for the removal of DU
      from the body.

      [I decided to put this in the Raw Portland Yahoo Group
      because it is so important that people know about it.
      I know of two people in the raw community in Portland
      who are distributing Natural Cellular Defense.
      One is Mike Snyder, and one is me, Pamela Melcher.
      Natural Cellular Defense is distributed by Waiora, a
      network marketing company. Mike and i are part of the
      same team within Waiora, a team which also includes
      Jason Groode and Dr. Gabriel Cousens, M.D. If you
      would like more information about Natural Cellular
      Defense, you can contact Mike Snyder at 503-771-3904
      or by email at mike@.... Or you can
      contact me, Pamela Melcher, at 503-946-8048 or by
      email at dancingcedar@....]

      But this will not solve the root cause of the problem,
      which is the ego that
      leads us to crimes against wisdom as it manifests in
      use of DU in war and
      use of radiological and nuclear weapons. Depleted
      Uranium is a Nuclear
      Weapon.

      Below is a series of some organizations that you can
      contact to raise the
      consciousness and bring this to a reality. The work
      must be done at the
      governmental level, including national and
      international at the UN. This
      letter is to strongly encourage you, as people who
      care more than just about
      your personal health - but for the soul of the planet
      to take action.

      Peace be with you, and the whole living planet.

      APPENDIX 1: AN INTERNATIONAL APPEAL:
      This is a draft by former United Nations Attorney
      General Ramsey Clark: An
      International Appeal to Ban the Use of Depleted
      Uranium Weapons

      Depleted Uranium Weapons are an unacceptable threat to
      life, a violation of
      International Law, and an assault on human dignity. To
      safeguard the future
      of humanity, we call for an unconditional
      International Ban forbidding:
      research, manufacture, testing, transportation,
      possession, and use of DU
      for military purposes. In addition, we call for the
      immediate isolation and
      containment of all DU weapons and wastes, through
      classification of DU as a
      radioactive and hazardous substance, the cleanup of
      existing DU contaminated
      areas, comprehensive efforts to prevent human
      exposure, and medical care for
      those who have been exposed.

      This is an eloquent and very clear statement of what
      must happen. It has the
      moral, physical, and spiritual aspects that reinstate
      our dignity as human
      beings and as a part of the intelligent cosmos and
      expression of God at its
      highest level.

      APPENDIX 2: ORGANIZATIONS TO CONTACT
      The International Action Center: Depleted Uranium
      Education Project
      Website: http://www.iacenter.org/depleted/du.htm
      Action Guide:
      http://www.iacenter.org/images/du_snafu.pdf

      The Traprock Peace Center World Uranium Weapons
      Conference Website:
      http://www.traprockpeace.org/depleted_uranium_hamburg03.html
      Action Guide:
      http://traprockpeace.org/award_winning_du_film.html#actions
      103A Keets Road
      Deerfield, MA 01342 (413) 773-7427

      Military Toxics Project:
      The mission of the Military Toxics Project is to unite
      activists,
      organizations, and communities in the struggle against
      military pollution,
      to assure it's clean up, to limit the transport of
      hazardous
      materials, and to advance the development and
      implementation of preventative
      solutions to the toxic and radioactive pollution
      caused by
      military activities. The MTP mission is based on
      mutual respect and justice
      for all peoples, free from any form of discrimination
      or bias.

      The purpose of the Military Toxics Project is to
      provide information,
      education, networking and organizing resources. MTP
      serves as a bridge and
      facilitator for organizations concerned with military
      pollution issues. MTP
      fosters a relationship of mutual respect and support
      with its members,
      networks, and collegiate campaigns around the country.
      MTP works to assist
      local communities, not for them but with them. MTP
      activities focus on
      both service and organizing efforts. MTP helps member
      organizations and
      networks to project their individual voices nationally
      and internationally.

      MTP has been organizing around depleted uranium issues
      since 1993, when it
      formed the Depleted Uranium Citizens Network and
      released Uranium
      Battlefields at Home and Abroad, a report by network
      members Rural Alliance
      for Military Accountability, Citizen Alert, and
      Progressive Alliance for
      Community Empowerment. MTP organized the first
      international conference on
      DU munitions, which brought together community
      activists, military veterans,
      and technical experts opposed to the use of depleted
      uranium weapons.
      MTP has produced a variety of other reports and fact
      sheets on DU, supported
      scientific research into the health effects of DU, and
      founded an email
      discussion list about DU that serves over 150
      activists in two dozen
      countries. MTP is a founding member of the
      International Coalition to Ban
      Uranium Weapons, and continues to support local
      organizing around DU and
      network local organizations who want to work together
      to oppose
      DU on the national and international levels.

      Please visit www.miltoxproj.org

      Contact: P.O. Box 558 Lewiston, ME 04243
      (207) 783-5091 http://www.miltoxproj.org

      Researched and Edited by Tree of Life Vegan/Live Food
      Nutrition Masters
      Graduate David Rainoshek
      (www.nutrientdensenutrition.com). For more on the
      Masters Program in Vegan and Live Food Nutrition, and
      all
      Educational Programs at the Tree of Life Rejuvenation
      Center, visit
      http://www.treeoflife.nu/education.html.

      For full documentation of this conference:
      http://www.traprockpeace.org/
      depleted_uranium_hamburg03.html

      Source: The Trojan Horses of Nuclear War,
      http://www.traprockpeace.org/
      depleted_uranium_hamburg03.html

      Copyright Waiora USA, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

      * Waiora is not responsible for the content contained
      within this e-mail message. Waiora is strictly the
      facilitator of the e-mailing. The content is the sole
      responsibility of the author and generator of the
      e-mail. Any information, claims or other content
      discussed or addressed within this message is the sole
      responsibility of the author/generator and not Waiora
      or its employees.

      > Introduction to paper about Depleted Uranium by
      David Wolfe.

      Written by Jason Groode.

> [...]
      > and the number of
      > reported cancer cases increased 12 fold between 1991
      > and 2001.
      >

      > In Europe, a wildfire of publicity was lit anew by
      > the United States�
      > official admission that its DU contains plutonium
      > and other
      > reactor-borne fission products far more radioactive
      > and carcinogenic
      > than uranium-238.
      >

      > The discovery of uranium-236 contamination in spent
      > munitions used
      > against Kosovo revealed that the DU was not obtained
      > before the nuclear
      > reaction process. The Pentagon, NATO and the British
      > Ministry of
      > Defense have always downplayed the danger of DU
      > saying it was "less
      > radioactive than uranium ore." But at least half of
      > the DU (250,000
      > metric tons) is now known to have been left over
      > from the reprocessing
      > of irradiated reactor fuel (done to extract
      > weapons-grade plutonium),
      > leaving it salted with fission products.(18)
      >

      > "If it has been through a reactor, it does change
      > our idea on depleted
      > uranium," says Dr. Michael Repacholi of the World
      > Health Organization,
      > which has demanded to know how much plutonium is in
      > DU ammunition. The
      > U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) is still working on
      > an answer to that
      > question.
      >

      > As early as January 2000, the DOE admitted that its
      > DU munitions are
      > spiked with plutonium, neptunium and americium �
      > "transuranic" (heavier
      > than uranium) fission wastes from inside nuclear
      > reactors.(19) The
      > health consequences here are fearsome: americium --
      > with a half-life of
      > 7,300 years -- decays to plutonium-239, which is
      > more radioactive than
      > the original americium.
      >

      > DU "contains a trace amount of plutonium," said the
      > DOE�s Assistant
      > Secretary David Michaels, who wrote to the Military
      > Toxics Project's
      > Tara Thornton January 20, 2000. "Recycled uranium,
      > which came straight
      > from one of our production sites, e.g. Hanford
      > [Reservation, in
      > Richland, Washington], would routinely contain
      > transuranics at a very
      > low level...." Michaels wrote. "We have initiated a
      > project to
      > characterize the level of transuranics in the
      > various depleted uranium
      > inventories," he said.
      >

      > Dr. Von Hippel says in The Bulletin of the Atomic
      > Scientists that
      > plutonium-239 is 200,000 times more radioactive than
      > U-238. Plutonium
      > "is probably the most carcinogenic substance known,"
      > according to Dr.
      > Arjun Makhijani, President of IEER, writing in his

      Peace on Earth.

      Pamela Melcher

      Contact information for Natural Cellular Defense:

      Mike Snyder
      503-771-390
      mike@...

      Pamela Melcher