Re: [RawPortland] Almonds...

  • Jeff Rogers
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2007
      Just a reminder, there is a loophole in the almond pasteurization
      ruling. Farmers may continue to operate roadside stands and may sell
      unpasteurized almonds there. They can sell up to 100 pounds per
      person per day. I hope, but do not know if, this extends to mail/
      internet/phone orders direct with the growers. Many believe it does.
      So, aside from purchasing spanish raw almonds, we do have a way of
      continuing to get unpasteurized almonds, though far from convenient.

      If and when the time comes and the rules necessitate direct purchases
      of almonds, perhaps we can work out a plan between RawPortland and
      RawWashington (previously RawSeattle) to get our almonds.

      Jeff
    • Robyn Cornwell
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
        Hi Celeste,

        Recently I found out I am "allergic" to almonds - because I ate so many! (This can happen with any food item if you eat it all the time; garlic was the other culprit.) So, my naturopath advised me to switch to an alternative for six weeks.

        Hence, I discovered that filberts are not only a great tasting alternate (especially for nut milk), but also cheaper. Just a suggestion. I still don't want to see almonds pasteurized; it's a poor solution to a man-made problem.

        Robyn

        Pamela Melcher <dancingcedar@...> wrote:
        Hi, Celeste,

        I commit to buying 1/2 the bag. Maybe we could meet
        at people's and pay for it. I would prefer not to pay
        for the whole bag. If it comes to that, i can do
        that, but would need people to pay me back soon.

        THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE INITIATIVE ON THIS!

        Many Blessings,
        Pamela Melch
        --- Celeste Tanit <blar@pacifier. com> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I just spoke with Kwah at People's Co-op about
        > pasteurization of
        > almonds beginning in September. He says there are
        > some distributors
        > who have product from this year's crop, so "raw"
        > will be available
        > until the new crop happens in Sept and those will no
        > doubt be
        > pasteurized. He also plans to try to get organic
        > almonds from Spain
        > which he says are tastier and cheaper but no word on
        > that yet. If
        > non past. almonds are not available, People's will
        > not carry any
        > almonds. Kwah said that Wild Oats may have and be
        > selling
        > pasteurized almonds and not know as the only
        > indication is on the box
        > and clerks may not notice.
        > I would be interested in splitting a 25# bag now in
        > case there is a
        > time lapse in availability. They are soooooo
        > expensive ($12.95/#) so
        > I could take 1/4 of the 25# bag. We would be
        > getting an 8% discount
        > on the purchase of a 25# bag for $298.77 (a savings
        > of around $50 on
        > the bag).
        > I just split a huge order of coconut oil and put it
        > on my credit card
        > so would prefer to not "front" for the almonds if
        > someone else
        > could. If we can not get 4 people to split, I could
        > go 1/3 or even 1/2.
        > Any takers???
        >
        > All the Best,
        > Celeste