Re: [RawPortland] New

  • Gabrielle
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18 11:22 PM
      Good for you. There is a lot of learning ahead and I hope you are persistent because the results will be a blessing to you, your family, and the earth. I'd suggest you subscribe to the Raw Family free email newsletter at www.rawfamily.com and read some of their books for inspiration and ideas. They will be at the Raw and Living Spirit Retreat held in Molalla Sept. 6-9 along with lots of other great teachers, chefs, and interesting health seekers. www.rawandlivingspirit.org. I'd also encourage you to check out potlucks on the www.rawportland.org website. Our church sponsors a weekly raw catered Sunday Supper followed by discussion, prayer and a raw communion at Milwaukie Presbyterian, 2416 SE Lake Rd., from 5-7pm that is open to all. I'd  be glad to meet you there and supply some personal encouragment.
      Gabrielle Chavez
      author, The Raw Food Gourmet

      Tara wrote:

      Hello all, my name is Tara, im a 24 yr old, married mom of 3.

      ive been thinking about swiching to a more natural diet for some time
      now and today i looked up Raw. i am very excited about the
      possibilities that this way of eating has to offer. to make a small
      list of the health issues i face; Narcolepsy, quite over weight my bmi
      is about 40, roseacia , teeth and gum issues. and my husband has an
      undiagnosed condition that i think might be fibromialga.

      so, i talked to him about this and he agrees that it would be a good
      idea. wich was suprising to me becuse he was raised a strict vegitarian
      and hated it. his only concern is financial.

      we dont make a whole lot of money and feeding a family of 5 can be
      expensive as it is.

      is Raw, more expensive? any ways to do this on a budget but still with
      a good varaity?

      http://www.eset.com

      http://www.eset.com

    • chefal@chefal.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19 8:47 AM
        Tara,
        We also teach Organic Vegan Cuisine, both cooked and raw if you want
        to make more of transition to vegan then vegan raw. Good luck on your
        quest and you are heading in a good direction.
        Peace,
        Donna and Chef Al
        Vegan Culinary and Lifestyle Educators
        www.chefal.org

      • chefal@chefal.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20 8:24 AM
          What starts to happen is that once you eat these nutritious foods your
          cravings for the other types of food fade away. There is of course a
          transition period. Find foods and recipes that you like from the large
          and growing recipe books out there as well as websites. I miss nothing
          being vegan because the food is so delicious and anytime I have a
          craving for some of the old recipes, there is always a vegan way of
          creating them.
          Have fun...

        • Celeste Tanit
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20 8:36 PM
            Hello Tara,
            A couple of things have helped me over the years.

            First, and most important, decide that if you DO eat cooked food for any reason, you will go RIGHT BACK to eating living foods.  This becomes easier and easier over time and as you eat cleaner because you will feel "not good" after eating cooked carbs and proteins...the body lets you know it is not happy with what you fed it. The hardest times happen when you continue to "slide".

            Second, remind yourself often that food is fuel for the body and you are eating now for nutrients over "pleasure". Eating good IS the ultimate pleasure but getting there requires transition time and releasing our old thoughts and patterns while the body releases the cravings.

            Third, be sure to get some fatty foods (nuts, avos, cheezes, etc.) often as this will help with the cravings.  I am including my favorite dressing recipe which is from Elaina Love originally but there have been several "versions".  This caesar dressing is great as a dip, also.  I have also used it on cabbage slaw.

            Fourth, if you have a sweet tooth, or a chocolate jones, be "OK" with eating desserts as meals.  Your tastes will change and you will ease away from the sweet and fatty foods down the line.

            Fifth, if you can afford it, buy and take daily a "superfood" like Pure Synergy (raw & organic) from www.thesynergycompany.com or Healthforce Nutritionals similar product.  Also, David Wolfe has a similar product.  I have tried Healthforce Nutritionals' product and prefer Pure Synergy over it but it may just be a personal taste issue.  Healthforce Nutritionals' products are available at People's Co-0p on SE 21st between Division and Powell.  David Wolfe also sells Pure Synergy thru his website.  One of these products will vastly help with getting the essential minerals until you find the right foods for your needs.  I feel "fed" after taking them...I mix mine with fresh squeezed oranges or grapefruit.

            Sixth, have Lara Bars or nuts or some food with you along with filtered water at all times...this helps when you are hungry and surrounded with less than wonderful food choices.

            All the Best,
            Celeste

            CREAMY CAESAR DRESSING

            2 cloves garlic
            4 Tbsp  olive oil
            2 Tbsp lemon juice
            1 tsp mustard powder
            1/2 sheet nori
            1/4 cup almonds, soaked overnight, then peeled
            1 tsp Celtic salt
            3 dates, soaked at least 4 hours, then pitted
            dash cayenne
            dash kelp powder
            1/2 cup water (can use date soak water)

            Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until creamy.  (Add water to thin, if necessary.)
            Toss with romaine lettuce.
            Can also add ground hazelnuts, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.
            Store any leftover dressing in glass jar in refrigerator. (This is also great as a veggie dip.)

            On 7/18/07, Celeste Tanit <blar@pacifier.com> wrote:
            > Hello Tara,
            > Welcome to the best "thing" you have ever found in your life.  I can
            > only say that if you could experience being raw for one month, you
            > would know that you would do it no matter what it costs.  It becomes
            > your "fun".  There are a few good prep books but if I would recommend
            > one to experiment with, it would be Ani Phyo's book "Ani's Raw Food
            > Kitchen" but it has been sold out and is awaiting the next printing.
            > Multnomah county library has it.  Mirador at 21st and SE Division has
            > a great selection of raw & living foods prep books.
            > I find that I eat a lot less when I eat whole organic foods because I
            > am satisfied because of the greater nutrition available to my body.
            > If you can shop at the farmer's markets (and there are so many around
            > town) you can get great organic produce at good prices.
            > I will be doing a class in the fall on ways we can get and stay
            > healthy, including living foods.  I will let you know when the dates
            > are set.
            > This forum is great for all the questions that come up with this kind
            > of transition.
            > You may call me if you have any questions, as well.
            > Celeste Tanit
            > 503-852-4411
            >

            > On Jul 18, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Tara wrote:
            >
            > > Hello all, my name is Tara, im a 24 yr old, married mom of 3.
            > >
            > > ive been thinking about swiching to a more natural diet for some time
            > > now and today i looked up Raw. i am very excited about the
            > > possibilities that this way of eating has to offer. to make a small
            > > list of the health issues i face; Narcolepsy, quite over weight my bmi
            > > is about 40, roseacia , teeth and gum issues. and my husband has an
            > > undiagnosed condition that i think might be fibromialga.
            > >
            > > so, i talked to him about this and he agrees that it would be a good
            > > idea. wich was suprising to me becuse he was raised a strict
            > > vegitarian
            > > and hated it. his only concern is financial.
            > >
            > > we dont make a whole lot of money and feeding a family of 5 can be
            > > expensive as it is.
            > >
            > > is Raw, more expensive? any ways to do this on a budget but still with
            > > a good varaity?

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional