Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

XPOST: [PathOfHealth] Poisonwood / Poison Oak / Poison Ivy / Poison Sumac

Expand Messages
  • Elchanan
    Hi Annette, First my apology for taking such a long time to respond to your inquiry. I had taken some time for myself and placed certain posts in my queue for
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2007
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Annette,
       
      First my apology for taking such a long time to respond to your inquiry. I had taken some time for myself and placed certain posts in my queue for later response.
       
      Second, you write:
       
               I thought that, being raw, I would have a stronger immune system to fight off poisons. 
              That is obviously not true and I seem to be more "allergic" than a lot of people. 
       
      I do not know how long you have been consuming a RF diet, nor any details about that diet. Nor do I know anything about the rest of your lifestyle ... rest, activity, etc. However, the widespread teaching that eating RF somehow confers a measure of "immunity" upon us is misguided. What actually occurs is that our capacity to respond is heightened. As a result, we may experience faster, less noticeable recovery from some conditions and seemingly sharper, more acute responses to others. And we have the opportunity to choose gratitude that our systems possess the capacity to respond aggressively.
       
      General Discussion

      When we rub up against poisonwood/ivy/oak/sumac, the oil on the leaves transfers onto our skin. This oil contains a strong acidic irritant, which our body must safely dilute and neutralize. During this process, the body must replace most of the skin cells affected by the oil.
       
      The body creates fluid-filled blisters in the skin, separating the affected outer layer, which is to be discarded, from the new layer being constructed, and diluting whatever oil collects between the layers. The doctor you quote, below, is partially correct. The oil does indeed leak through the damaged, acid-affected outer layer.The fluid between is produced to dilute this acid and to protect the emerging new skin layer ... it is a form of safety insulation, in effect. So attempts to "dry the rash", while popular, are not constructive. Such attempts reflect our having been trained to "do something" in response to symptoms, but they do not accelerate production of the new layer of outer skin. If anything, removal of the intervening fluid may actually lead to irritation of the newly forming skin cells, cause some of them to be sloughed off, and delay the overall process of resolving the problem
       
      The body retains the old outer layer until construction of the new outer layer progresses to a point where those new cells can safely be brought to the surface. In other words, the body needs whatever time it needs, in order to construct this new outer layer.
       
      Fasting might accelerate the process of constructing the new outer layer of skin in the affected areas, but probably not by a large margin unless a significant portion of your body is affected. Also, your body would interpret fasting as a systemic rest and might choose different priorities than you seek.
       
      To my knowledge, the best thing to do is nothing--allow your body to replace the affected skin at its own pace. Exposure to sunlight/daylight is helpful ... but perspiration in the affected area is probably not helpful.
       
      Best,
      Elchanan

      From a private message:
       
      Greetings, Elchanan ~
       
      Quoting from one of your posts: "The symptoms are the messenger -- they announce to your conscious mind what the body needs now, if you only you will listen, and allow your body to complete its work." I am curious about what my body is saying it needs with the oozing angry itching rash that I have as a result of being in poison oak. I have the weeping lesions on my arms, back, midriff, groin, and behind my knees.
       
      I am not able to stay in bed and fast, though I have been eating very lightly (mostly watermelon) and drinking water. Yesterday I was covering my skin with a poultice of activated charcoal hoping to dry up the rash a bit and calm the itching since I'm not able to get any rest. I'm guessing now that this is "treating the symptom" and not what I should be doing. What do you suggest I do? I definitely don't want to retrace this "illness" later! It is WAY too crazy-making.
       
      Thank you!
      Annette
      ______  
      From: PathOfHealth@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PathOfHealth@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Annette
      Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:29 PM
      To: PathOfHealth@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [PathOfHealth] Poison Oak
      Hi ~
       
      I am wondering if you have any suggestions of how I can better deal with my severe case of poison oak while staying raw and away from allopathic meds.  I thought that, being raw, I would have a stronger immune system to fight off poisons.  That is obviously not true and I seem to be more "allergic" than a lot of people.  I've had the breakout since Friday and it appears to be spreading.
       
      Someone told me to stay in bed and fast.  Anyone who would suggest this has obviously never dealt with poison oak's exquisite itchability which leaves one feeling rather maniacal.
       
      I read that a doctor said, "I'm surprised it hasn't been used as a nonlethal chemical warfare weapon." Let me say that it would be superb in that role.
       
      "In poison ivy and poison oak, the blood vessels develop gaps that leak fluid through the skin, causing blisters and oozing." I am a mess!  I have the red oozing blisters on my arms, midriff, back, breasts, groin, and behind my knees.  Tonight my ears and face are itching.  Not a good sign!
       
      It's difficult to go about my daily routine with fluid literally dripping out of my body.  Nevermind that I need to not touch anything that someone may touch after me.
       
      I have tried a poultice of activated charcoal and a poultice of bentonite clay, as well as an oatmeal bath, Tea Tree Oil and fresh aloe.  All to no avail.
       
      I know all about going after the cause instead of chasing symptoms.  I just really don't know how to do that in this case.  In order to be able to get some rest, I finally succumbed to pressure and took some Benadryl.  Ahhhhh, what relief!
       
      Obviously, if there is something I can do other than continue with the Benadryl, I would like to.
       
      Please help if you can!
       
      Thank you, Annette
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.