RE: [RawPortland] I need worms--Vermicomposting

  • Joy King
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11 3:44 PM
      Hi!

      I don't have any answers for you, but I think this is a great question!  IF you find them, can you please let us all know - or post it to the RawPortland website database?  I tried a normal compost bin but we have so many kitchen scraps our balance was off...I have heard the worm bins are much better.

      You can try sporting good stores that may have worms (i.e., for fishing)....you can feel good about saving them!

      Let us know - thanks!

      Joy
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13 9:42 AM
        You can get some worms at my house. No Charge. You could also make a bin directly on
        the ground. If you build it they will come! Deb

        --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "lilthund1" <lilthund1@...> wrote:

        > Hi, does anyone in Portland know where to get worms for my compost bin? I have
        called
        > many bait shops and nurseries, but the closest place I have found is in Sandy, Oregon,
        which
        > is a bit far for me to drive.
        >
        > Thanks!!!!

      • Pamela Melcher
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13 7:22 PM
          Another variant on Deb's idea below, appropriate for
          some situations, is to take a white plastic bucket and
          drill 1/4 inch holes (mice can not get through holes
          1/4' or less in diameter....information gleaned from
          ship yards) every 2 inches in the bottom. Put compost
          in with some high carbon stuff (dry brown grass,
          grocery bags, newspaper, leaves, etc.) mixed in and
          just set it down someplace in the garden where shrubs
          will hide it, put a cover on that mice can not get in.
          Deb is right, build it and they will come. Oh, man
          do they love the pulp from a juicer!!!!!!!!! The
          virtue of the red worms that you buy is that they eat
          compost faster. But if you have the space, you can
          let the ones who come to volunteer be happy eating
          your food at a leisurely pace. You just let the worms
          eat the remains of delicious meals and carry it down
          and around into the soil. You will be amazed at the
          lushness of the growth around the bucket. It would be
          ideal for azaleas or rhodies to serve the same
          function as a deep mulch. Plus it is a sort of water
          reservoir because it keeps sun from drying out the
          soil nearby. It can be virtually carefree. Just add
          stuff when the little bin gets low. The worms just
          thrive and you never hassle or tear at them moving
          them around and such. They really love it. They get
          sort of irridescent and look so very happy. If you
          keep the lid on tight, do not add cooked food or eggs,
          and keep enough high carbon stuff in there it really
          does not smell bad. I was surprised. A little musty
          plus a little composty, but the smell stays in the
          bucket and the neighbors don't even know it's there.
          It is so totally win win.

          Peace on Earth!
          I love this yahoo group!
          Pamela Melcher

          --- dpxtn7 <paxtonz@...> wrote:

          > You can get some worms at my house. No Charge. You
          > could also make a bin directly on
          > the ground. If you build it they will come! Deb
          >
          > --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "lilthund1"
          > <lilthund1@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, does anyone in Portland know where to get
          > worms for my compost bin? I have
          > called
          > > many bait shops and nurseries, but the closest
          > place I have found is in Sandy, Oregon,
          > which
          > > is a bit far for me to drive.
          > >
          > > Thanks!!!!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Jenna Stephens
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13 8:50 PM
            I think Pistils carries red worms. It's a garden store on Mississippi Ave. in North Portland.
            jenna

            --- dpxtn7 <paxtonz@comcast. net> wrote:

            > You can get some worms at my house. No Charge. You
            > could also make a bin directly on
            > the ground. If you build it they will come! Deb
            >
            > --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, "lilthund1"
            > <lilthund1@. ..> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, does anyone in Portland know where to get
            > worms for my compost bin? I have
            > called
            > > many bait shops and nurseries, but the closest
            > place I have found is in Sandy, Oregon,
            > which
            > > is a bit far for me to drive.
            > >
            > > Thanks!!!!