I need worms--Vermicomposting

  • lilthund1
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
      Hi, does anyone in Portland know where to get worms for my compost bin? I have called
      many bait shops and nurseries, but the closest place I have found is in Sandy, Oregon, which
      is a bit far for me to drive.

      Thanks!!!!
    • Joy King
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
        Hi!

        I don't have any answers for you, but I think this is a great question!  IF you find them, can you please let us all know - or post it to the RawPortland website database?  I tried a normal compost bin but we have so many kitchen scraps our balance was off...I have heard the worm bins are much better.

        You can try sporting good stores that may have worms (i.e., for fishing)....you can feel good about saving them!

        Let us know - thanks!

        Joy

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2007
          You can get some worms at my house. No Charge. You could also make a bin directly on
          the ground. If you build it they will come! Deb

          --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "lilthund1" <lilthund1@...> wrote:

          > Hi, does anyone in Portland know where to get worms for my compost bin? I have
          called
          > many bait shops and nurseries, but the closest place I have found is in Sandy, Oregon,
          which
          > is a bit far for me to drive.
          >
          > Thanks!!!!

        • Pamela Melcher
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2007
            Another variant on Deb's idea below, appropriate for
            some situations, is to take a white plastic bucket and
            drill 1/4 inch holes (mice can not get through holes
            1/4' or less in diameter....information gleaned from
            ship yards) every 2 inches in the bottom. Put compost
            in with some high carbon stuff (dry brown grass,
            grocery bags, newspaper, leaves, etc.) mixed in and
            just set it down someplace in the garden where shrubs
            will hide it, put a cover on that mice can not get in.
            Deb is right, build it and they will come. Oh, man
            do they love the pulp from a juicer!!!!!!!!! The
            virtue of the red worms that you buy is that they eat
            compost faster. But if you have the space, you can
            let the ones who come to volunteer be happy eating
            your food at a leisurely pace. You just let the worms
            eat the remains of delicious meals and carry it down
            and around into the soil. You will be amazed at the
            lushness of the growth around the bucket. It would be
            ideal for azaleas or rhodies to serve the same
            function as a deep mulch. Plus it is a sort of water
            reservoir because it keeps sun from drying out the
            soil nearby. It can be virtually carefree. Just add
            stuff when the little bin gets low. The worms just
            thrive and you never hassle or tear at them moving
            them around and such. They really love it. They get
            sort of irridescent and look so very happy. If you
            keep the lid on tight, do not add cooked food or eggs,
            and keep enough high carbon stuff in there it really
            does not smell bad. I was surprised. A little musty
            plus a little composty, but the smell stays in the
            bucket and the neighbors don't even know it's there.
            It is so totally win win.

            Peace on Earth!
            I love this yahoo group!
            Pamela Melcher

            --- dpxtn7 <paxtonz@...> wrote:

            > You can get some worms at my house. No Charge. You
            > could also make a bin directly on
            > the ground. If you build it they will come! Deb
            >
            > --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "lilthund1"
            > <lilthund1@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, does anyone in Portland know where to get
            > worms for my compost bin? I have
            > called
            > > many bait shops and nurseries, but the closest
            > place I have found is in Sandy, Oregon,
            > which
            > > is a bit far for me to drive.
            > >
            > > Thanks!!!!

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Jenna Stephens
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 13, 2007
              I think Pistils carries red worms. It's a garden store on Mississippi Ave. in North Portland.
              jenna

              --- dpxtn7 <paxtonz@comcast. net> wrote:

              > You can get some worms at my house. No Charge. You
              > could also make a bin directly on
              > the ground. If you build it they will come! Deb
              >
              > --- In RawPortland@ yahoogroups. com, "lilthund1"
              > <lilthund1@. ..> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi, does anyone in Portland know where to get
              > worms for my compost bin? I have
              > called
              > > many bait shops and nurseries, but the closest
              > place I have found is in Sandy, Oregon,
              > which
              > > is a bit far for me to drive.
              > >
              > > Thanks!!!!