Travel Food TIps Needed

  • Mary Lu Taylor
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7 12:32 PM
      Dear Raw foods friends.  I am going for a weekend trip to Mexico and wanted to take some fresh foods with me.  It looks like there are restrictions on bringing any fruits or veggies into the country.  Any suggestions?  I would like to bring something for breakfasts and lunches.
      I am new to raw foods---are there some "raw bars" I could find!

      Thank you!

      8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
    • Robyn Cornwell
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7 10:25 PM
        Mary Lu,

        I spent a summer semester of grad school in Guadalajara, Mexico. Fortunately, I had U.S. contacts who were med students who got me set up in my own apartment so I had control over my food. You not only have the challenge of raw, but a major sanitation problem on top of that because they fertilize with human manure. Therefore, if you buy food from a grocery store, you must soak it, even if it has a skin, like a banana, in a solution that kills the bacteria. NEVER buy food off the street, and do not eat lettuce as the pores are large enough for the parasites to enter. Also, only 50% of the bottled water is safe, and never ask for ice - you know it was made from tainted water. Also, make sure you are where you want to be for the night before it rains (at least in Guadalajara) as there is no drainage and you can get worms through your feet when walking through the water that pools in the streets.

        I did not get sick the entire 10 weeks I was there, but other students got seriously ill and lost 15 pounds from it. If at all possible, find American contacts who can give you advice (and refer you to reliable doctors) if you do get sick. Food in the resort areas is safe because they import it from the U.S. But, what fun it that to stick with the predictable and never see the real Mexico? I would not bother trying to take fresh produce as that is probably what they are concerned about. You could no doubt get away with dried fruit and nuts and seeds.

        Robyn

        Mary Lu Taylor <mlutaylor47@...> wrote:
        Dear Raw foods friends.  I am going for a weekend trip to Mexico and wanted to take some fresh foods with me.  It looks like there are restrictions on bringing any fruits or veggies into the country.  Any suggestions?  I would like to bring something for breakfasts and lunches.
        I am new to raw foods---are there some "raw bars" I could find!

        Thank you!

        8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

        TV dinner still cooling?

      • Ildiko Panczel McDonald
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7 11:44 PM

          Hello
          I think you should not worry about bringing food! It is in abundance of fruit!  And the freshest sweetest once... I hope that you are not going to a fancy resort?! Maybe nuts?! If you go to country sides... the mango might be laying under your feet! ... that  is just my view! Bless up have an abundance, fun! ildi
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9 11:34 AM
            Hello Mary Lu,
            I spent a month in Costa Rica in 2004 and found it to be too big of a challange to stay raw as we travelled every two or three days.  We usually did not have a room with a fridge where fruit would be safe from ants, roaches (found in the better!? hotels), etc.  Backpacking with bananas is a futile exercise!  I did not worry about bananas but as Robyn said, wash and peel all fruit and veggies. I bought the fruit plate when possible, ate cooked veggies (although CR uses a ton of pesticides and has the third highest rate of stomach cancer in the world) and ate a lot of rice and beans with salsa. Once I learned about the cancer rate, I began eating a little fish here and there to avoid the veggies!
            If you can buy "spring water" bottled, it will be the best.
            A woman I knew from Mexico told me to eat a tablet of Pepto Bismo before each meal (this was my first trip to Mexico 20 years ago and it worked).  Evidently, the pesky bacteria can not live in the "bismo" part.  However, this was before my knowledge of raw food and that Pepto Bismo is not very good to take.  Grapefruit Seed Extract works very well and is not harmful.
            Fresh squeezed OJ is available many places.
            I did get very sick in Mexico - not when I ate, but when I swam in the ocean near a hotel.  Not all places process their waste and often dump it into the ocean.  I had to take a heavy load of antibiotics in order to be well enough to get on a plane, took another dose when I got home as the problem still existed, and discovered years later that I had an overgrown population of the bacteria still in my system, which resulted in another load of antibiotics.  If you become ill, treat it soon as these bugs will take you down fast.
            You can take dried fruit, dehydrated items and Luna bars, but not fresh fruit. Some cacao would be good to chew on for a snack. You could make a raw "trail mix".
            If you are only going for a weekend, you may be able to buy enough fruit at the local market to get you by.  As Robyn said, pass on the greens and salads unless in a high $$ resort.   If you can find a farmer's market (often on Saturdays) there may be an organic grower as they are beginning to cater to tourists.

            All the Best.
            Celeste