Re: [RawPortland] vitamix???? using "common" blenders

  • Mel R
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
      Tanya,
              Have you considered using a standard blender for green smoothies?
      I've had an Osterizer for several years even before I started mixing greens.  It retails around $40 new and boasts that it lasts 50% longer than other blenders with 'direct metal drive'
      Even celery and broccoli are liquified without using the highest speeds.  The motor seems to be durable as I've left the blender spinning for over a minute when thawing frozen fruit straight from the freezer.

      If you get a non-Vita Mix blender, try to get one with a glass container,  plastic seems to be used on the cheaper ones.

      Last week raw chef Jennifer Cornbleet came into town using a $30 Hamilton Beach food processor in the food demos and it seemed to do all that a Cuisinart can handle.

      mel

      Tanya Petrich wrote:

      Does anyone out there in the Portland area have an extra Vita Mix that I could rent or borrow? My two year old machine just broke for the 2nd time in 1 month and this time I have to send the whole unit back to Vita Mix for repair. Needless to say, I am a bit distraught as I will be without the ability to make green smoothies (gasp!) for about a month. Not sure what I'm going to do....

      Thanks for your help!
      Tanya