Raw Kids

  • chai_mama@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006

      My kids are finally seriously considering a raw diet (after years of being vegan). I have allowed them to choose their path. They recently met Brendan Brazier and Robert Cheeke (Holiday Vegan Fest), and were so impressed with them that they are really excited to go raw.

      I have a question for raw families--how much do you spend on food?

      I am concerned because I recently read that Victoria Boutenko spends about $1,000/month to feed her family of four (ouch!). I spend about half that to feed my vegan family of five (3 teen boys and one teen girl--all with healthy appretites).

      Thoughts? Ideas?

      blessings,

      Leslie Hill

    • Marcus
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
        Leslie,

        It really depends on how simple you keep things. Many living foods
        dishes call for very expensive items. Victoria from when I heard her
        talk liked to fix food as fancy as she could so her kids wouldn't look
        so weird and out of place with their food at school,etc. A good starter
        approach would be to start fixing them green smoothies for breakfast in
        the mornings and kale salads. Actually these days (no kids here) I
        bascially live on green smoothies and kale salads although I get in the
        mood to "cook" sometimes and I'll fix something more fancy. At first
        your cost will be more until you can figure out what will work for you
        and your family. But also keep in mind that raw organic foods are higher
        quality than your standard vegan products and therefore have a higher
        price. When you eat mostly raw living foods your body doesn't have to do
        the work to digest the food therefore you have more energy to spend and
        thus, you will end up eating less so if your kids start eating mostly
        raw if you are feeding them 3 times a day most likely they will end up
        where they only eat 2 meals a day instead of 3, at least that's how it
        ended up for me. That's one of the great things about living foods, the
        more living foods you eat, the less overall food you intake, thus the
        less groceries you have to buy. Many of the living food dishes require
        expensive items but as you go along and learn how to perpare these type
        of dishes you learn how to do it on the cheap.