Cholesterol Testing

  • cloudriver@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
      Greetings ~

      Do you know of anyplace in the Vancouver/Portland area that does
      inexpensive cholesterol testing (cheaper than going to a doctor's
      office)? Two or more years ago I was able to have the testing done
      when a mobile company came to where I was working. At that time, I
      paid $40. My results were superb!

      A lot of you know that at the end of November, I went totally cooked
      for three and a half months. I was eating everything that didn't eat
      me first! I wasn't even vegetarian. This probably reversed any clean
      blood that I might have had.

      Now that I'm 100% back on the raw path, I'm thinking that
      having "before" (meaning cooked) and "after" tests would be a good
      thing.

      Thanks!
      Annette
    • Jack B DeMonnin
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
        Annette:

        You've asked the right person. I've done $10 cholesterol checks for
        years, off & on, at the Beaverton St. Vincent Health Resource Center
        (Bookstore). Nowadays they do a complete workup for $25, with 5 or 6
        levels, if thats the right word, of cholesterol count (HDL, LDL, etc,
        etc). Plan on fasting from midnight the night before, since they check
        sugar levels too. I also do a blood pressure check at the same time, and
        check my weight. There is no place for them on the form, but I add them
        in on my own. If I ever start juicing again, I will start with a St
        Vinnies cholesterol check, then use that as an optimum target.

        Beaverton does it on Mondays; Portland uses the same machine. I'm not
        sure what day. Call ahead in either case for verification.

        Providence Portland
        4805 NE Glisan 97213
        503-215-6383

        Providence St. Vincent
        9205 SW Barnes Rd
        Portland 97225
        503-216-2655

        The card says Portland, but St Vinnies is only a half mile or so from the
        freeway interchange, so I think Beaverton. If you show up at one of your
        get-togethers with one of these legal size yellow forms filled out, you
        are apt to blow them all away.

        On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:29:04 -0000 cloudriver@... writes:
        > Greetings ~
        >
        > Do you know of anyplace in the Vancouver/Portland area that does
        > inexpensive cholesterol testing (cheaper than going to a doctor's
        > office)? Two or more years ago I was able to have the testing done
        > when a mobile company came to where I was working. At that time, I
        > paid $40. My results were superb!
        >
        > A lot of you know that at the end of November, I went totally cooked
        >
        > for three and a half months. I was eating everything that didn't eat
        >
        > me first! I wasn't even vegetarian. This probably reversed any clean
        >
        > blood that I might have had.
        >
        > Now that I'm 100% back on the raw path, I'm thinking that
        > having "before" (meaning cooked) and "after" tests would be a good
        > thing.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Annette

      • Helen Hecker
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
          Annette-- have them check your triglycerides too. Helen
          > Do you know of anyplace in the Vancouver/Portland area that does
          > inexpensive cholesterol testing (cheaper than going to a doctor's
          > office)? Two or more years ago I was able to have the testing done
          > when a mobile company came to where I was working. At that time, I
          > paid $40. My results were superb!
          >
          > A lot of you know that at the end of November, I went totally cooked
          > for three and a half months. I was eating everything that didn't eat
          > me first! I wasn't even vegetarian. This probably reversed any clean
          > blood that I might have had.
          >
          > Now that I'm 100% back on the raw path, I'm thinking that
          > having "before" (meaning cooked) and "after" tests would be a good
          > thing.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Annette
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jack B DeMonnin
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
            Helen:

            I'm reasonably sure that's included. Its very thorough, all done on the
            same expensive machine, including the blood sugar check. The five days
            the machine is not in use by the two Providence bookstores, it is
            probably in use elsewhere. We are very lucky to have access to it at all.
            They used to do a blood sugar check separately for another $10. I've done
            two checks ($50) since Providence went to a full court press, with
            results of the first posted somewhere on RFS.

            Since I was unable, for lack of time, to do a similar juicing full court
            press with monthly follow-ups, I threw results away. Sorry about that.
            They may be buried in the zeno "Preventive Maintenance" thread. I may
            bump it to the top later today for another reason. That's where I was
            headed when you so rudely interrupted me, insisting I answer immediately.
            First I have to read it, to see if it is a proper fit, and some of you
            may already know zeno will never use one word where a hundred will do.
            Ugh! What a chore.

            I suggested to the director of a local blood bank on one occasion that if
            they provided a service similar to Providence's, they might draw a better
            class of blood or, more importantly, give volunteers an incentive to
            improve themselves. Her answer was that it was standard policy that no
            pressure should be applied, that donors should drop in of their own free
            will. After 15 years or so off & on, that was the last time I donated.

            On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:22:15 -0700 "Helen Hecker" <twinpeak@...>
            writes:
            > Annette-- have them check your triglycerides too. Helen

          • Jack B DeMonnin
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2004
              Annette, Helen, et al:

              I bumped the "Preventive Maintenance" thread to the top, as threatened.
              It is in need of some repair. Maybe later, but the detailed cholesterol
              test results mentioned earlier are apparently parked elsewhere. Anyone 65
              or worse who would be interested in a free colonoscopy, should take a
              look at the "Colon Screening" thread. Both are located in "Other Health
              Related." Its almost time to get up. I'm going to bed.

              writes:
              > Annette-- have them check your triglycerides too. Helen

            • Jack B DeMonnin
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2004
                Helen:

                I apologize if I intruded. I have no idea how the group system works. I
                assumed, since I received the original request from Annette, that
                everyone receives everything. It is a cinch my mailbox has been
                overloaded of late.

              • Helen Hecker
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2004