temperature enzymes are damaged

  • growingraw
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2006
      Previously, I have read that enzymes are killed between 113 – 118
      degrees. Whereas, Dr. Mercola wrote the shape of enzymes is
      distorted above 105 degrees. The distorted shape precludes the
      enzymes from functioning. This fascinating article discussed healing
      by the sunlight stored inside raw food. The article was emailed to
      me as I have a subscription to his excellent free newsletter.
      http://www.mercola.com/2006/apr/11/stay_away_from_frozen_foods.htm
      Dr. Mercola does not cite any research backing the 105 degrees. I
      realize that a lower temperature would initially damage the enzymes
      and a higher temperature would kill them. Does anyone know any
      research on this and at what temperatures?

      Using the correct temperature is vital for setting the adjustable
      thermostat of a dehydrator. Last week, I purchased a dehydrator and
      started dehydrating organic blueberries at 105 degrees. I am
      wondering if I destroyed the blueberries at 105 degrees.

      I could dehydrate at the lowest setting which is 95 degrees.
      However, after dehydrating the blueberries at 105 degrees for
      several days, the blueberries are still not completely dried. Has
      anyone dehydrated blueberries before? At what temperature and how
      many days?

      I should have purchased the stainless steel Excaliber. My brand new
      Nesco American Harvest dehydrator reeks of plastic fumes. Thus, I
      used it outdoors. Nonetheless, the fumes drifted inside my home and
      made me ill. I have multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). Does anyone
      want to offgas my dehydrator by using it outside their home and
      returning it to me a week later?

      I have a baby kombucha mushroom for adoption. My # is 503-775-6783.

      Lauren
    • Stan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2006
        This subject is unfortunately not very clear to anyone who has looked
        into it deeply, there are a lot of unkowns still here, such as how the
        "dehydrator temp" affects the inside temperature of what you are
        dehydrating. What tempertature in the blueberry for instance, in the
        center, and how hot can the dehydrator be for how long before the
        center of the blueberry raises above 105 or what ever temp you have
        decided is too high for that food. Also, different enzymes denature
        and die and different temps, so really what is needed is a vast
        knowledge of many many intricacies in order to be 100% sure that you
        are dehydrating in an optimal fashion. This is far too complicated
        and frustrating for me personally, so I suggest this: Follow your own
        personal intuition, which for me leads me personally to avoiding most
        dehydrated food as a source of pure nutrition. But I am no longer
        worried about being as pure as possible either, so if I really want
        dehydrated crackers, or dried fruit, I don't let myself worry too much
        about how perfect it is. There is a point where I think a person can
        damage themselves with worrying about eating perfectly which outweighs
        the benefits of actually eating perfectly. Each individual has to
        judge for themselves whether their belief in raw foods is getting in
        the way of living instead of promoting it. Raw foods should be the
        key and gateway to a happier and more fulfilling life, not a thing to
        obsess over.

        Ok, I got a little off subject there and I do not mean in anyway to
        discourage you or suggest that you are obsessing in the least. You
        question is a good and natural one, and I wish I knew the answer or
        had a great deal of confidence that anyone else really knows the
        answer either. I think your intuition and your body's reactions
        should be your guide rather than searching for facts in a very
        confusing landscape of raw nutition information.

        Maybe someone knows of a good and credible source of more info on this
        subject that I am not aware of. I hope so.

        Stan

        --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "growingraw" <growingraw@...> wrote:

        > Previously, I have read that enzymes are killed between 113 – 118
        > degrees. Whereas, Dr. Mercola wrote the shape of enzymes is
        > distorted above 105 degrees. The distorted shape precludes the
        > enzymes from functioning. This fascinating article discussed healing
        > by the sunlight stored inside raw food. The article was emailed to
        > me as I have a subscription to his excellent free newsletter.
        > http://www.mercola.com/2006/apr/11/stay_away_from_frozen_foods.htm
        > Dr. Mercola does not cite any research backing the 105 degrees. I
        > realize that a lower temperature would initially damage the enzymes
        > and a higher temperature would kill them. Does anyone know any
        > research on this and at what temperatures?
        >
        > Using the correct temperature is vital for setting the adjustable
        > thermostat of a dehydrator. Last week, I purchased a dehydrator and
        > started dehydrating organic blueberries at 105 degrees. I am
        > wondering if I destroyed the blueberries at 105 degrees.
        >
        > I could dehydrate at the lowest setting which is 95 degrees.
        > However, after dehydrating the blueberries at 105 degrees for
        > several days, the blueberries are still not completely dried. Has
        > anyone dehydrated blueberries before? At what temperature and how
        > many days?
        >
        > I should have purchased the stainless steel Excaliber. My brand new
        > Nesco American Harvest dehydrator reeks of plastic fumes. Thus, I
        > used it outdoors. Nonetheless, the fumes drifted inside my home and
        > made me ill. I have multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). Does anyone
        > want to offgas my dehydrator by using it outside their home and
        > returning it to me a week later?
        >
        > I have a baby kombucha mushroom for adoption. My # is 503-775-6783.
        >
        > Lauren

      • Joy King
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2006
          Hello Lauren & Stan,

          I don't know the answer to your question, but I am sure it is a question shared by many.  I have asked my mentors in the raw food world your question, and they have been so gracious to extend an invitation to anyone in the Raw Portland group who is interested in attending their free teleconference tomorrow...they said they would be happy to address this question during their event.

          No worries, they are not selling anything - they are simply giving back and sharing from their experiences & knowledge.

          If you are interested, email an RSVP to RSVP@..., and put "dehydration discussion" or the like in the message.  They will send the instructions for the teleconference...this will be my 3rd teleconference, and I can't say enough good things about them - I wouldn't pass up this FREE opportunity.

          The teleconference is tomorrow (Wednesday) at 5:30PM - again, if you are interested, just email the address above.

          Sincerely,

          Joy
> [...]

          > started dehydrating organic blueberries at 105 degrees. I am
          > wondering if I destroyed the blueberries at 105 degrees.
          >
          > I could dehydrate at the lowest setting which is 95 degrees.
          > However, after dehydrating the blueberries at 105 degrees for
          > several days, the blueberries are still not completely dried. Has
          > anyone dehydrated blueberries before? At what temperature and how
          > many days?
          >
          > I should have purchased the stainless steel Excaliber. My brand new
          > Nesco American Harvest dehydrator reeks of plastic fumes. Thus, I
          > used it outdoors. Nonetheless, the fumes drifted inside my home and
          > made me ill. I have multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). Does anyone
          > want to offgas my dehydrator by using it outside their home and
          > returning it to me a week later?
          >
          > I have a baby kombucha mushroom for adoption. My # is 503-775-6783.

        • Joy King
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 9, 2006
            Oops!  Today is Wednesday - I meant TODAY - the conference is today!! :-)  Sorry about that!

            Joy