SW Portland Wild Foods & Fermentation Workshop

  • Mike Snyder
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006
      Hello friends,

      Below is some info on a cool workshop
      taking place this upcoming weekend.
      I hope to attend.

      Don't forget about the potluck Wednesday
      evening, and the Wednesday afternoon raw
      food meet-up at People's!

      Mike

      P.S. Send in your Raw Spirit registrations ASAP! Don't
      wait or you will miss out on the Best event of the
      year!

      ==> www.RawSpirit.net

      From: TryonFarm.org

      Welcome to: Wild Foods & Fermentation Workshop!

      When: July 15-16

      All day both days 10am-6pm, with a lunch break in the
      middle of each day (food we make in the workshop!) and
      informal Q&A the last hour of each day.

      Come participate in a cultural revolution! Author
      Sandor Katz and herbalist Frank Cook are offering an
      intensive weekend workshop on wild foods and
      fermentation. We will divide our time between foraging

      and food preparation, along with discussions and lots
      of tasting.

      We will learn about local wild plants, and prepare
      kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir, tempeh, idli, amazake,
      herbal mead elixirs, and much more.

      Come and join us!

      (Note from Mike:
      Make your own sauerkraut, kimchi, and pickles with the
      amazing Kraut Jar! Only available at
      http://store.TheRawDiet.com

      Sandor Ellix Katz, also known as Sandorkraut, is the
      author of Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition,
      and Craft ofLive-Culture Foods (Chelsea Green, 2003),
      and the upcoming The Revolution Will Not Be
      Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food
      Movements, due out in
      October.

      His fascination with fermentation grew out of
      overlapping interests in cooking, gardening, and
      nutrition.

      Sandor's teaching aims to demystify simple and ancient
      fermentation techniques, and encourage people to
      embrace our bacterial allies.

      Check out his website www.wildfermentation.com.

      Frank Cook, plant enthusiast, has spent the last
      eleven years following his passion for being a
      repository of plantknowledge.

      Studying with herbalists, shamen, doctors, professors,
      and medicine men around the world, he has been
      initiated into many ways of walking with plants. Frank
      has developed a deep-rooted network of people whose
      lives are consciously intermingled with plants,
      healing, and ways to create a better world. He leads a
      simple life communicating, teaching, reflecting, &
      delving deeper into the mysteries of the plant kingdom
      & our place in the web of life.

      Fees: for the two-day workshops, a sliding scale
      $85-120, or for folks doing only one day $45-60. we're
      open to some barter and work-trade. We will only be
      able to host 25 participants, and we have already
      recieved interest from many folks- to reserve a spot,
      you can deliver or mail us a $50 deposit (checks made
      out to Sandor Katz)!

      Where: Tryon Life Community Farm
      11640 SW Bonnes Ferry Rd
      Portland, Or, 97219
      www.tryonfarm.org 503-245-3847

      For more specific questions, contact:
      sandorkraut@...

      (Message forwarded by Mike Snyder mike@...
      www.RawSpirit.net )
    • Pamela Melcher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
        Thank you,Mike for sending this. I would like to
        attend, but have no car. I am the woman who was going
        to get a ride with you to the Inspiration party at
        Tryon last Spring (we had a long discussion about
        Green Smoothies, the website in Philadelphia, Wayne
        Dyer, the Course in Miracles, etc.). Do you know
        for sure yet whether you are going, and if so, could i
        get a ride with you? I could meet you when and where
        you choose in the mornings, and once i am back in
        Portland, i can bus in the afternoons. I'll also call
        and ask about carpooling at Tryon. I can take the bus
        on Saturday morning and hike from the Law School, and
        then can doubtless connect with someone there about
        rides. My other question is one you may be able to
        comment on. John Callas is also teaching a half day
        inroductory workshop on Wild Foods on Saturday
        morning, July 15, ending at noon. I went on his Sea
        Veggie workshop last weekend and LOVED it, so i am
        torn, trying to make up my mind. I am drying my sea
        veggies, which is soooooooooooooooooo easy and they
        are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better
        than what you buy. So much fresher. When they dry,
        the whole house smells like the sea. It even smells
        like the sea outside the window of the room with the
        dryer. It is bliss. It was really easy to gather the
        seaweed (with an adventurous climb on the rocks, which
        i loved). Of course, John will be teaching that
        workshop (the intro on Sat) again, although he plans
        to gradually phase out teaching and train others to do
        the workshops in the future. He will focus on other
        ways to communicate his ideas - books, etc. One thing
        that may affect my decision is that John is VERY into
        the scientific approach, which i respect, but i am
        also very into the intuitive approach, because if i
        had had to wait for science to validate my
        impressions, which are usually right, i would have
        missed out on much of value in my life. It sounds
        like the guy at Tryon has a very wide angled view of
        Wild plants. I plan to go to the raw foods discussion
        on Wed., so maybe if you are there we could talk more
        at that time. I am for sure going to the retreat at
        the end of August. I am still at 100% raw and getting
        stronger and clearer by the day, and loving it. I am
        also more accepting of others diets whatever they may
        be. It seems to correlate with feeling better at 100%
        raw. What others are doing is less and less of a
        distraction, and only a temptation when i am REALLY
        hungry and there is no raw food. I also feel less
        shaky when people go on and on about how bad it is to
        be 100% raw, because i have my own fantastic
        experience to draw on and sit quietly with, and i just
        don't believe them any more. At any rate, MAY ALL
        BEINGS BE HAPPY AND HEALTHY!!! Thank you for all you
        do for our community. I look forward to actually
        meeting you, sooner or later. Best Regards, Pamela
        Melcher

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mike Snyder
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2006
          Hi Pamela,

          Thank you for writing! I am still unsure about
          attending the wild foods and fermenting foods
          workshop. I've got a few projects to catch up on this
          weekend and may not have time to go to Tryon.

          I am happy to hear you will be at Raw Spirit! I am
          very excited to attend. I hope to meet you soon at an
          upcoming potluck or event!

          Mike
          503-771-3904

        • Mike Snyder
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14, 2006
            Hi folks,

            In Pamela's email she wrote:

            > (we had a long discussion about
            > Green Smoothies, the website in
            > Philadelphia, Wayne Dyer, the Course
            > in Miracles, etc.).

            The website in Philadelphia is Arnold's Way
            Raw Food Cafe, and he has a great article
            on Green Smoothies:

            Part 1:
            http://www.arnoldsway.com/12-30-05.htm

            Part 2:
            http://www.arnoldsway.com/2-02-06.htm

            Next time you visit Proper Eats Cafe, request
            a green smoothie!

            Wayne Dyer was also mentioned, he is one of my
            favorite people! Check out some of his books /
            CD's / DVD's from the library.

            Wayne will be in Portland soon and I am
            purchasing tickets:

            http://www.drwaynedyer.com/events/index.php

            "INSPIRATION: Your Ultimate Calling

            See Dr. Wayne Dyer Live!

            Date: September 25, 2006,
            7 pm - 10 pm
            Sponsored by: Hay House
            Location: Portland Metropolitan Expo Center
            - Portland, OR

            Mike

            P.S. Here is a Quote from Arnold's article:

            I created my Mission statement, which, came into being
            barely three weeks ago, and can only be called
            miraculous. It has evolved into the dreams of all
            dreams. It is the sun and the moon. It is life and joy
            all wrapped up in beautiful colors. It is a picnic of
            love and joy with every breath.

            What is it?

            It is the "ching ching" of victory over sickness. It
            is the victory of possibility and total
            self-responsibility of never ever catching a serious
            life threatening disease.

            What I have been inspired to create (thank you, thank
            you Victoria Boutenko) was a very simple task of two
            minutes a day to make green smoothies.

            That's it!

            A simple task of making two green smoothies loaded
            with approx .16 ounces of leafy greens and fruit mixed
            with 16 ounces of filtered water.

            In doing this it begins to create an anatomical
            transformation that miraculously transforms the user
            into not only a high energetic healing transformation
            but also a high energetic charge of super wellness. I
            am forced to use the word once again of
            unbelievable...

            ...The Green Smoothie, literally overnight, has become
            the backbone of my business. They not only taste
            fabulously fantastic but the results of what happens
            when taken on a daily basis can only be called
            Unbelievable.

            The results were like right out of the stratosphere.
            What I saw was that people who were having trouble
            changing to a raw food diet now were ecstatic on how
            easy it is to make a green smoothie transition.

            I saw that the successful transition of people before
            the green smoothie transition was maybe about two
            percent would actually stay with this lifestyle
            change.

            The success rate number grew to 50 to 75 percent on a
            green smoothie transition. What I saw was where I was
            only selling anywhere from three to five fruit
            smoothies a day in winter had now jump up to 15 to 20
            green smoothies a day in only three weeks time.

            What I saw was that customers like Angie, who had
            Lupus for a number of years, once she switched to
            drinking two smoothies a day had increased her energy
            almost 80 percent in just three weeks. She was
            glowing.

            What I saw was a customer like Lynn, a 40-year-old
            mother of 4 and a mostly raw foodist, was always tired
            and now had boundless energy.

            What I saw was every person who tried it not only
            liked it but also was staying with the program. I am
            totally amazed. Never in my 8 years of pushing raw
            food have I seen such a phenomena.

            Am I totally ecstatic? You betcha! It looks like the
            possibility of creating a disease free country is
            possible.

            To make two green smoothies a day takes two minutes a
            day, max. It is so totally easy and so totally tasty
            and most important so totally doable.

            The unbelievable part is that the results are amazing.

            From what I have seen, every person who tries it not
            only gets the glow and the energy but they also get
            everyone involved in sharing the same thing. They get
            their family first, then their relatives and then
            their friends.

            All this has been happening in my store in just one
            month....

            Thank You Victoria Boutenko!

            - Arnold
            http://www.arnoldsway.com/Letter_Frame.htm

            P.P.S. Don't miss your chance to see Victoria Boutenko
            at Raw Spirit www.RawSpirit.net
          • Ariel Rose
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 19, 2006
              Hi Mike,

              I still have not heard from Harmony. Should I wait to hear from her to register?

              Thanks,

              Ariel

            • Jeff Rogers
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 10, 2012
                Hi Nina,
                Go to the registration page for the pricing:

                Jeff