raw discussion group

  • growingraw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      I received four responses to my posting to form a weekday daytime raw
      discussion group. Four is too few to start a group. I am wondering if
      weekday daytime is not a good time for most raw foodists. Would you be
      interested if the meeting was on the weekend morning or afternoon or
      an early weekday evening?

      Would you be interested if the discussion group included a potluck?

      Unless someone volunteers to host the discussion group in their home,
      the likely meeting place would be the community room at People's Food
      Coop at SE Tibbett @ SE 21.

      If interested, please email me possible times you can attend.
      rawspirit@...

      Lauren
    • growingraw
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2006
        The community room at People's Food Coop is not available every
        Wednesday. My application was granted for the second and fourth
        Wednesdays of the month. The soonest date available is Wednesday, July
        12. This is the same date as the SE potluck from 5 - 7. Since the
        discussion group is from 12:30 - 3 pm and the farmer's market at
        People's Food Coop is from 2 pm - 7 pm, they won't conflict with the
        potluck. Come talk and later eat at the potluck. For people living
        outside of Portland, the extended time will be worth the commute.

        As I stated previously, if I receive more requests to have an early
        evening discussion group, I am open to changing the time. The
        community room is available from 6 - 8:30.

        To get enough members to keep the discussion group flourishing, it
        would be helpful to have a rawportland.org flyer. I could post it on
        the bulletin board of People's Food Coop and elsewhere. I have not
        received the raw Seattle flyer from Jeff Rogers. Is anyone interested
        in creating a rawportland.org flyer (4 to one page) this month?

        The first meeting will be a planning meeting followed by a discussion
        on becoming more raw. We will discuss and vote on what topics, events
        and videos we want, schedule the events so they could be posted here
        and on the calendar and vote whether we want to have a potluck.

        People's Food Coop offers use of their video/DVD player and TV. Mirado
        has many raw food videos and CDs for rent. It is an easy walk from
        People's to Mirado to rent them before the meeting and an easy walk to
        return them after screening them. I will pay for the videos.

        Joy King volunteered to lead a wild edible walk. Kwah, a herbalist
        from the east coast who works at People's, may be willing to do a
        medical herb walk.

        Other possible events would be carpooling to organic farms to purchase
        berries and peaches or carpooling to wild blackberry patches along
        with a hike afterwards.

        Possible discussion topics would be becoming more raw, weight loss,
        raw boot camp and other topics members may bring up.

        In 2002, I was in a weekly raw discussion group. It helped me achieve
        my goal of becoming 100% raw. I found the weekly meetings and the over
        two hours of discussion immensely helpful. An improtu short discussion
        at potlucks does not provide the in depth coverage a designated
        discussion group offers.

        I am open to having this raw discussion group also be a potluck. The
        kitchen is next door to the community room. We would need to bring our
        own plates, utensils and serving silverware. Use of the community room
        involves completing a clean up check list after every meeting. If
        there are volunteers to help clean up after the potluck, we could have
        potlucks. However, I don't want to be the only member cleaning afterwards.

        Web hosts, could you please include the dates in the calendar?
      • Joy King
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2006
          This is GREAT !! Thanks for putting this together - I will be there.

          BTW, I don't think it was me that volunteered to host a wild edible walk...I really know nothing about wild edibles (except that they are yummy!)  It may just be chance that there are 2 Joy King's in this group, but I think it was someone else.

          Thanks again!!

          Joy