Macadamia Nuts and Pets

  • Annette
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2006
      I had a near catastrophe last week and thought I'd pass along this
      information with the hope I can prevent the same thing happening to
      someone else's dog ...

      While I was cleaning out the freezer, I got sidetracked, and didn't
      have an opportunity to put all the food up out of the way of Desi, my
      Golden Retriever (a raw dog). Desi helped herself to over a pound of
      macadamia nuts and several quarts of raspberries and blueberries.

      She appeared listless a couple of hours later, but I attributed this
      to the gas from the fat and fructose -- as well as the amount she ate.
      The next morning she could barely get out of her house to come greet
      me. I'm used to her standing at the door wondering how long it's going
      to take for me to serve her breakfast.

      I phoned her veterinary office in Portland to ask whether I should
      worry. They were concerned about the macadamia nuts not being able to
      pass and getting stuck somewhere in her system. They told me to go to
      an emergency care clinic where I could have x-rays and blood work
      done. Fortunately, the vet that Desi used to go to near Hood River is
      able to provide this kind of emergency care.

      Desi was obviously losing control over her hind end. She had to
      concentrate VERY hard in order to be able to get up and walk slowly.

      Whether Dr. Kathi knew, or had studied up before we arrived, she
      advised me that macadamia nuts have a neurotoxicity for dogs! I have
      since found more information on the internet.

      "Clinical signs commonly reported from most to least frequent were
      weakness, depression, vomiting, ataxia, tremors, and hypothermia."

      Desi went through a regime of activated charcoal and metamucil and
      spent the night at the clinic. She was able to come home the next
      morning, having passed most of the nuts. Her blood work was clear, and
      we'd not had to do x-rays.

      Happily, Desi is fine now, and back to her happy, energetic self.

      Annette