2893Re: [RawPortland] Re: Mesquite pod powder

  • The Raw Matrix
    Jun 29, 2012
      I don't think mesquite is considered a medicinal food, though I'm sure there are some medicinal applications for the plant.

      It's primarily used as a natural sweetening and flavoring agent, and is known to be high in protein and minerals, though I've seen different minerals listed for it. It's also lower on the glycemic index than many sweeteners, though it's not nearly as sweet as most sweeteners, either.

      From the Sunfood article, "Mesquite is a traditional Native American food that has been used for centuries as a reliable source of nutrients in the harshest of climates."

      -Brion

      Our Community Pantry
      Real Food Purchased Together

      On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM, bijou.bijou@... <bijou.bijou@...> wrote:

      What is Mesquite Pod Powder used for, other than in a Chai? Is it medicinal?

      Thank you....

      Aimee

      --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, "brion.oliver" <brion@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Bill -
      >
      > I sell mesquite powder through Our Community Pantry. It's packaged by Ultimate Superfoods, and available for $3.93 in 2-oz, $7.40 in 8-oz, and $11.00 in 16-oz.
      >
      > They only currently have in stock the version they're calling "sweet". Both types they stock are 100% organic and raw. The more standard version may be available by the time of the OCP July order on Friday the 13th.
      >
      > It's in the herbs and powders section of the OCP website: http://www.ourcommunitypantry.com/
      >
      > You may also want to try Rok Caldwell. He often has this sort of thing as well.
      >
      > -Brion
      >
      > Our Community Pantry
      > Real Food Purchased Together
      > www.ourcommunitypantry.com

      > --- In RawPortland@yahoogroups.com, William Milmoe <wmilmoe@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I went to Whole foods tonight and they did not carry Mesquite pod powder.
      > >
      > > I think I bought it originally from Chad Sarno. It is great for making
      > > chai out of young coconut meat and water.
      > >
      > > Any good sources you know of in the Portland / Vancouver area or do I have
      > > to go on-line...
      > >
      > > Not essential but a nice change from plain or carob flavored.
      > >
      > > Thank you so very much.
      > >
      > > Bill
      > > PS I have updated my ecovillage ad...
      > > http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/3097488458.html
      > > It would be great to have other vegetarians, vegans or raw vegans but I
      > > will also be happy with forest gardeners or permies.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic