Fw: [pghratlovers] Re: interesting neruological case with advice and in put

  • Lindsay Pulman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 5:50 AM

      Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:34 PM
      Subject: Re: [pghratlovers] Re: advise needed for Jazmine

      HI Shaz,
          Dr. Mike's email is below. Hope it helps some.
          PIt tumor classicly starts with overall weakness, then inability to hold food in either paw, with the rat trying to eat the food from the floor of the cage. Of course, disease processes can digress from classical signs. I viewed the video a few more times, and I don't think this is pit tumor. Her front end is working too well. I think the one paw food hold is just due to weakness or inability to use the back half to sit up.
          In addition, there is no head tilt, so I would rule out middle ear infection.
          The classic spinal nerve root degeneration comes on gradually, and you would have noticed her hunching down in the back more and more. So let's rule that out.
          I think, with the absence of nasal and/or lung involvement, and no general overall weakness ( just hind end) that Myco can be ruled out.
          If urination and water intake are normal, and she is not dehydrating, then lets rule out kidney disease.
          I have seen stroke, both in humans and rats, and her pattern of neurological signs doesn't really fit. Would see more of a whole body, left or right sided thing, and I see the division in the middle of the back. I'm not sure I would consider stroke.
          We are left with possible GDVII viral meningitis ( good nursing care, keep up the B-12 long term, should bring her through)
          Or, perhaps one of the oddball things Dr. Mike mentioned, like an embolus from the surgery ( again, good nursing care)
          Or, perhaps a post anesthetic problem (I am not familiar with this scenario. Ask your vet what anesthetic agent was used, and I'll get back to Dr. Mike with that info).
          This is a very interesting case. Please keep us posted. I'll let you know what else we come up with.
      Best regards,
      Lindsay