RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Some progress

  • J FLETCHER
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
      Hello John,

      Thanks very much for the explanation. I'm not sure whether I can overwrite what's on the card with a new installation of the OS, or whether I should load Linux into an old PC to get at it that way, or just buy another SD card. Last option is quick but not very educational. I'm a Linux novice and not finding it at all intuitive. Can you recommend any literature?

      I'm interested in your packet node project. I have a KPC3 (bought new) and a KAM (bought at a rally for £25 - bargain!) but never got into packet radio when it was new, which I now regret. I have VHF radios and laptops to spare, so I ought to try again.

      That's a long-established callsign. 1970? Mine dates from June 75.

      73,

      John G4EDX in Woodthorpe

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
        You can reload the OS over and over and over if need be... Simply use something like Win32 Disk Imager.

        Jerry Kutche
        Electrical Supervisor

        Lehigh Cement Company LLC
        180 N. Meridian Road
        Mitchell, IN  47446
        Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
        Fax:  (812) 849-5007
        Cell: (812) 583-0445
        jkutche@...
        www.lehighcement.com

        This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

[...]

        From another John in Nottingham ,

        73, John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
          Also, the Raspbian has a built-in tool to extend the partition on first boot up.  It works fine and saves the multi-step manual process if you are running something bigger than 2 GB.

          On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA <JKutche@...> wrote:

          You can reload the OS over and over and over if need be... Simply use something like Win32 Disk Imager.

          Jerry Kutche
          Electrical Supervisor

          Lehigh Cement Company LLC
          180 N. Meridian Road
          Mitchell, IN  47446
          Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
          Fax:  (812) 849-5007
          Cell: (812) 583-0445
          jkutche@...
          www.lehighcement.com

          This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

        • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
            Hi All...  I have 4 here waiting for me to specify what projects I want to try on, what I have two that have 8GB cards and 2 that have 16 GB Cards..

            Beware you must read the compatability list to avoid obtaining periferals that do not work or do not work well. Do not just grab some of a store shelf thinking they will work.. They may, they may not...

             73 Jerry n9lya

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 24, 2012
              Flash cards will probably work you may need to format them as ext2. Windoze will not see that partition though.

              Sent from my iPhone

              =

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                  Hi John,

                  I am using the Debian wheezy image and found the screen to small

                  http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5021

                  This shows settings for the configuration file
                  I plugged my card into windows machine and edited with programmer's file editor which recognise linux end of line unlike notepad.

                  Select a lower resolution for larger text and try different settings to get a full screen.

                  If you want more on this I'll post my file so you can see the changes I made. I assume these settings are valid for various versions of the operating system not just debian.

                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, J FLETCHER <jfletcher427@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All!
                  >
                  > Just a few lines to tell you what I'm up to.
                  >
                  > Back at home I tried using it with the HDMI input on our oldish LCD TV. It isn't Full HD and the text at start-up is incredibly small and hard to read. When the desktop appears the icons are small, too. Connecting the same TV via the phono socket the text and icons are a reasonable size, but the bottom of the picture is lost ("off the screen"). This makes playing some of the Python games impossible. I was able to browse the web, though. I've also downloaded Geany, Python and Xterm following the instructions on a YouTube tutorial.
                  >
                  > John G4EDX
                  > Nottingham, England

                • J FLETCHER
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                    Thanks very much, I'll try that when I have a few minutes to play.