Time to order

  • Don Bowen
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2013
      The Rasberry-Pi looks more and more interesting. I have followed some
      of the links and read the tutorials and getting started papers. Now it
      is time to order some hardware so I am looking for recommendations on
      what to get and where.

      I do not have a handy USB keyboard but that is easy even out here in the
      boondocks as long as the big brown truck will come down my gravel
      driveway. I do not have a monitor or TV here in the computer room/
      radio shack/ library/ guest room but I do have a laptop with HDMI input
      if that will work. I am thinking of getting a small LED TV or a monitor
      for use in the travel trailer. We are going to build a house this
      spring and that will be where we will be living.

      --
      Don Bowen AD0BR
      "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2013
        I don't think your laptop will work as a hdmi display. It is likely to output a hdmi signal to a display.
        Being a LINUX newbie I am not certain, but I think you can edit a config file permit an ethernet (rj45) remote desktop to a windows machine.
        I don't know if you can do a first boot to bash using Putty on a windows machine, but it would be worth a try. Especially if you have a little Linux background.
        The configurations available in Putty are a lot better to look at than the default hardware connection.

        On 3/20/2013 12:19 PM, Don Bowen wrote:

[...]

        John Ferrell W8CCW
        That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
        P.C. HODGELL

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2013
          If you use the standard raspbian image, it will enable SSH, so you don't need a screen or keyboard - all you have to do is plug in an Ethernet, and you can access it from a PC or orher linux machine. I don't know if other distros do the same.

          73, John G8BPQ