Heatsink

  • Lee - N9LO
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2013
      I see on eBay that several sellers have heat-sinks for the Raspberry Pi. Are they needed or are they just for looks. I just got my R-Pi today and have not booted it yet. Waiting for a power supply and keyboard.
      Thank you
      Lee - N9LO
    • vk4tux
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2013

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Lee - N9LO" <mr.olson@...> wrote:

        > I see on eBay that several sellers have heat-sinks for the Raspberry Pi. Are they needed or are they just for looks. I just got my R-Pi today and have not booted it yet. Waiting for a power supply and keyboard.
        > Thank you
        > Lee - N9LO

        See the photo at

        http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/

        I was sceptical too, but i got such a deal $5 posted on each of two sets (I have two pi's) that i thought why not?

        After fitting tghe three heatsinks and then feeling the heat drawn into these heatsinks (all 3), touching the tops with my finger (hot!), I was glad I did it.

        The GPU heatsink is oversize as designed, but needs it as this one runs the hottest.

        adrian ... vk4tux

      • vbifyz
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 18, 2013
          I overclocked my RPi to 1GHz. It is in a case with a few holes drilled on top of the SoC. Under 100% CPU load, the temperature went up to 62-64C.
          I cut a piece from an old motherboard chipset heatsink, similar to what is offered on eBay. I put it on the SoC with some thermal grease and a drop of the white glue (not sure what's it called) on the side to hold it in place. The max temperature is now around 55-56C. I would expect the open air (no case) results to be even better.

          73, Mike