RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: DIY Power supply for Rasberry Pi

  • Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 18, 2013
      Hi Steve... No problem..  Sorry did not mean to inply anything other then sharing the info..  I never had an issue with your post, just thought you may have been expecting too much for $35.. I never had an issue with any of mine working right out of the box, once I programmed an SD card, followed the tested hardware list and other such info.. . Besides where is the learning in them if they were perfect... I know a lot of kids who worked thru any short comings they saw and enjoy these to this day..

      You started no flame war.. My post was simply to send information I felt may have been unknown.. No offense intended..  Just wanted you to know why things maybe the way they are.

      My two boys were building their own PC when they were each 4 years old.. A requirement to use one in my house, as their own.. These were not store bought, appliances these were cases, motherboards, Hard drives, Floppy drives.. NO CD yet did not exist.. Ram Chips power supplies etc. all having to be assembled and configured, hard drives had to be partitioned and formatted OS (Dos) at the time had to be loaded.  I gave them the parts and a book Repairing and Programming PCs 6th edition I think) and they each had a PC running games by the next day.. At that time I knew of few PC shops that could do that in a day...
      I even taught my wife to repair PC which she does to this day.. Every time she had an issue I told her I was busy ask the kids, or read the book.. :)

      See I work a lot did not want to spend a lot of time fixing little and even major PC issues.. even for the wife and kids.. :)

      I think with proper information Kids can surprise and surpass their predecessors..  they are a spunge for learning... I know I was repairing TVs for extra cash when I was 6... The old Tube and even hybrid TVs.. Way back in the late 60s to about 1980.. I taught myself.. As a kid with his own Color TV in our neighborhood.. My dad loved sports I loved Cartoons one TV was not getting it. lol

      Have agoo day.. :)

      Jerry Kutche
      Electrical Supervisor

      Lehigh Cement Company LLC
      180 N. Meridian Road
      Mitchell, IN  47446
      Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
      Fax:  (812) 849-5007
      Cell: (812) 583-0445
      jkutche@...
      www.lehighcement.com

      This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 19, 2013
        Adrian,

        Thanks, but I've already tried that one.

        What software are you using with the SCS Tracker? - maybe it gets round the driver problem somehow.

        John

        From: John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...>
        To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:09:52 -0000

          Adrian,   Where can I get that?   I tried the latest I could find on your site - remixautodstarR3.img.zip - and it crashed as soon as I tried to access the Tracker.   73, John

        Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:16:28 -0000

          The latest Kernel seems to fix the problem where the Raspberry PI hangs as soon as any attempt is made to access an SCS Tracker TNC.(a USB device) Linux pi1 3.6.11+ #393 PREEMPT Fri Mar 8 16:36:28 GMT 2013 armv6l

        As a general point, anyone how has issues with USB devices should make sure they are running the latest Kernel - a lot of fixes have been made to the USB subsystem.

        73, de John G8BPQ