Re: Pi as aWiFi hotspot in the shack?

  • d29602960
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 18, 2013
      Hi Adam,

      Adam (KF7LJH) wrote:
      For wireless AP functionality, I use hostapd. Makes it super easy to set up and configure the wireless part.
      *** End quote ***

      Thanks for the pointer to hostapd and the AP tutorial. BTW I have read that others have had issues with various wi-fi add-ons when attempting to set up an AP so I will take care to obtain a suitable USB w-fi dongle right at the start.

      Thanks for the reply and the pointers.

      73,s

      Des.

      --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@...> wrote:

      > Hey Des,
      >
      > I wanted to do the same thing. Use my Rpi as a wireless accecss point so I could connect to the local webserver/VOIP/IM client/RMS from my phone and tablet.
      >
      > There are a few pieces you need:
      >
      > DHCP to hand out IP addresses to the clients that connect.
      >
      > Maybe DNS services (who cares if you don't have internet on this network, and if you do use a public DNS like 4.4.4.4)
      >
      > And the wireless Access Point setup (AP)
      >
      > For wireless AP functionality, I use hostapd. Makes it super easy to set up and configure the wireless part.
      >
      > http://sirlagz.net/2012/08/09/how-to-use-the-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-pointrouter-part-1/
      >
      > I had some issues with my realtek wifi card and the stock hostapd, but I found a version that worked at the realtek site.
      >
      > Good Luck!
      >
      > Adam KF7LJH
      >

      > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "d29602960" <d29602960@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi folks,
      > >
      > > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
      > >
      > > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the time to "play" with it Hi.
      > >
      > > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
      > >
      > > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode) such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone close by using say a laptop or whatever.
      > >
      > > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the home wi-fi router as part of the package.
      > >
      > > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a web-page.
      > >
      > > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a project on the net?
      > >
      > > Regards to all es 73,s
      > >
      > > Des (M0AYF)

    • MattB
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013
        It doesn't look like this has been brought up yet:

        http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=14100

        Points here:
        http://sirlagz.net/2012/08/09/how-to-use-the-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-pointrouter-part-1/

        -73-
        Matt KC2O

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "d29602960" <d29602960@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
        >
        > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the time to "play" with it Hi.
        >
        > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
        >
        > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode) such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone close by using say a laptop or whatever.
        >
        > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the home wi-fi router as part of the package.
        >
        > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a web-page.
        >
        > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a project on the net?
        >
        > Regards to all es 73,s
        >
        > Des (M0AYF)

      • d29602960
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 27, 2013
          Hi Matt and the Group,

          Following some research on the internet and some strong encouragement from another memeber of the group (Dave N0TRQ) I have had some modest success and now have a working WiFi server in the shack.

          In fact it does everything I hoped it would except (so far) all attempts to make it anything other than an "open" access server have failed.

          I have re-written the hostapd.conf file a number of times but as soon as I attempt any form of WPA security it stops working :-( Having said that, an open server is not really an issue for my current requirements.

          Regards to all,

          Des (M0AYF)