Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Pi as aWiFi hotspot in the shack?

  • Rick Simpson
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 17 8:45 PM

      As I understand it, he wants to serve only his own pages via wifi with NO connection to the internet.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 18 9:55 AM
        Hi Paul and thanks for responding,

        Paul 5B8BA wrote:
        > I'm a bit confused. Do you want to
        a. provide web sites for someone with wifi who is within range (stand alone RPi)
        *** End quote ***

        Yes, thats exactly what I want to do and I have read about the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack though I suspect for my simple needs the data-base and scripting parts are not really needed until perhaps later on. BTW Hiawatha was going to be my first choice for the server but only because I have used it before with puppy linux.

        My problem is that I am still quite new to Linux and while I roughly (very roughly) understand what I need to be aiming for the exact packages and syntax elude me.

        Its not that I am lazy but my spare time is limited so before I start stumbling around in the dark I thought I would seek advice from those more experienced than myself.

        73,s

        Des (M0AYF)

        --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Paul M <pmooney22@...> wrote:

        > I'm a bit confused. Do you want to
        >
        > a. provide web sites for someone with wifi who is within range (stand alone RPi) - take a look at LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP/Perl) - you can use other programs (e.g. Cherokee instead of Apache) - see Bitnami Lamp stack.
        > b. provide internet access with someone within wifi range ('traditional' hotspot) which requires (obviously) connection to router for internet.
        > c. provide a gateway (your web pages) leading to internet. (a+b)
        >
        > Paul 5B8BA

        > Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.
        > >

        > >> Hi folks,
        > >>
        > >> This is a long
        > shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
        > >>
        > >> I have had a raspberry-pi
        > since last August and am only recently getting the
        > >> time to "play" with
        > it Hi.
        > >>
        > >> One of the little projects I have been trying to get
        > going is a wi-fi
        > >> hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger
        > project.
        > >>
        > >> The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi
        > dongle (in "master" mode)
        > >> such that the raspi would appear on a list of
        > wi-fi hot-spots for anyone
        > >> close by using say a laptop or
        > whatever.
        > >>
        > >> Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages
        > with a "welcome" page
        > >> by default. So far I have been able to achieve my
        > goal by using the
        > >> "Berry-web server" software which works well enough
        > but still requires the
        > >> home wi-fi router as part of the package.
        > >>
        > >> Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone"
        > server
        > >> application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far,
        > trawling
        > >> the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an
        > existing home
        > >> wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the
        > "stand-alone" form to serve a
        > >> web-page.
        > >>
        > >> I wonder if
        > anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a
        > >> project on
        > the net?
        > >>
        > >> Regards to all es 73,s
        > >>
        > >> Des
        > (M0AYF)

      • d29602960
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 18 10:08 AM
          Hi Dave,

          Dave wrote:
          Webmin is a great tool for those less than CLI fluent, or the lazy... If push comes to shove....I can build you an image from the latest Wheezy...
          *** End quote ***

          Its not that I am lazy Hi, just a little pushed for spare time and I would like to avoid making the wrong software choices when I come attempt to build my little server. As it is I would expect this to take a few weeks to get going.

          While I am very tempted to take you up on your offer of a pre-built image (very tempted) I agree I would learn very little from that. However, you sound as though you understand my requirements very well so if you could suggest the correct "bundle" of software I need then I will scratch my head and sort the rest out.

          Though I am still quite new to Linux the installation of packages on the pi is now well mastered. Configuring those packages is mostly a case of reading and understanding the instructions but my current problem is that I am unsure exactly what is required to serve web-pages from the pi as a stand-alone wi-fi server independent of my home router.

          73,s

          Des. (M0AYF)

          --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Dave Cochran <dave@...> wrote:

          > Des....
          >
          > It's really not too difficult to set up (as I mentioned Webmin is a great
          > tool for those less than CLI fluent, or the lazy)
          >
          > If push comes to shove....I can build you an image from the latest Wheezy
          > build with all the pieces preinstalled/configured. Then you'd just have to
          > download it and dd it to an SD card and boot it up. Then you can customize
          > it to your hearts desire. Admittedly you wouldn't learn much that way....
          >
          > Dave
          > -Dave
          >

          > On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM, d29602960 <d29602960@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi Dennis, Dave & John,
          > >
          > > Many thanks for all the responses and comment. I must confess that after
          > > initial success with berryboot and the berry web-server operating through
          > > my home network/router I thought a stand-alone option would be quite easy.
          > >
          > > I see now I will need to do some "hacking" with Linux in terminal mode in
          > > order to achieve the set-up I am looking for but if I understand comments
          > > correctly the existing wi-fi hot-spot tutorials can be readily adapted so I
          > > will read the manuals/web-pages and have a go.
          > >
          > > Thanks again for the pointers folks.
          > >
          > > 73,s
          > >
          > > Des (M0AYF)
          > >

          > > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Nelson
          > > <kb9rrx2002@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > HI, what you could use is a DHCP server under the os. It's been a while,
          > > so you may want to look up the man or info pages on setting up
          > > > the server to the wireless. That would then make the pi the server.
          > > Dennis.
          > > >

          > > > ________________________________

        • d29602960
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 18 10:20 AM
            Hi Adam,

            Adam (KF7LJH) wrote:
            For wireless AP functionality, I use hostapd. Makes it super easy to set up and configure the wireless part.
            *** End quote ***

            Thanks for the pointer to hostapd and the AP tutorial. BTW I have read that others have had issues with various wi-fi add-ons when attempting to set up an AP so I will take care to obtain a suitable USB w-fi dongle right at the start.

            Thanks for the reply and the pointers.

            73,s

            Des.

            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@...> wrote:

            > Hey Des,
            >
            > I wanted to do the same thing. Use my Rpi as a wireless accecss point so I could connect to the local webserver/VOIP/IM client/RMS from my phone and tablet.
            >
            > There are a few pieces you need:
            >
            > DHCP to hand out IP addresses to the clients that connect.
            >
            > Maybe DNS services (who cares if you don't have internet on this network, and if you do use a public DNS like 4.4.4.4)
            >
            > And the wireless Access Point setup (AP)
            >
            > For wireless AP functionality, I use hostapd. Makes it super easy to set up and configure the wireless part.
            >
            > http://sirlagz.net/2012/08/09/how-to-use-the-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-pointrouter-part-1/
            >
            > I had some issues with my realtek wifi card and the stock hostapd, but I found a version that worked at the realtek site.
            >
            > Good Luck!
            >
            > Adam KF7LJH
            >

            > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "d29602960" <d29602960@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi folks,
            > >
            > > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
            > >
            > > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the time to "play" with it Hi.
            > >
            > > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
            > >
            > > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode) such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone close by using say a laptop or whatever.
            > >
            > > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the home wi-fi router as part of the package.
            > >
            > > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a web-page.
            > >
            > > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a project on the net?
            > >
            > > Regards to all es 73,s
            > >
            > > Des (M0AYF)

          • MattB
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 24 9:17 PM
              It doesn't look like this has been brought up yet:

              http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=14100

              Points here:
              http://sirlagz.net/2012/08/09/how-to-use-the-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-pointrouter-part-1/

              -73-
              Matt KC2O

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "d29602960" <d29602960@...> wrote:

              > Hi folks,
              >
              > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
              >
              > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the time to "play" with it Hi.
              >
              > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
              >
              > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode) such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone close by using say a laptop or whatever.
              >
              > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the home wi-fi router as part of the package.
              >
              > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a web-page.
              >
              > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a project on the net?
              >
              > Regards to all es 73,s
              >
              > Des (M0AYF)

            • d29602960
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 27 9:14 AM
                Hi Matt and the Group,

                Following some research on the internet and some strong encouragement from another memeber of the group (Dave N0TRQ) I have had some modest success and now have a working WiFi server in the shack.

                In fact it does everything I hoped it would except (so far) all attempts to make it anything other than an "open" access server have failed.

                I have re-written the hostapd.conf file a number of times but as soon as I attempt any form of WPA security it stops working :-( Having said that, an open server is not really an issue for my current requirements.

                Regards to all,

                Des (M0AYF)