Re: Pi as aWiFi hotspot in the shack?

  • d29602960
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 17 7:52 AM
      Hi John,

      Many thanks for your swift reply, unfortunately this is another example of extending an existing Internet connection. Quoting from the web-page....

      "set up where on boot, it connects to the Internet through ethernet, and shares that connection over WiFi."
      *** End-Quote ***

      What I would like to do is make the raspi appear as though it is the Internet by serving-up its own pages wirelessly without connection to the wider Internet. A sort of stand-alone wi-fi Intanet server.

      The serving of web-pages has turned out to be the easy part but finding pointers or a solution to making the pi "appear" as the sole provider of a web-page wirelessly has turned out to be problematic.

      I suspect this will turn out to be something useful to others if I can find the solution. If I do I will post the results here.

      Thanks again John for taking the time to post a reply.

      73,s

      Des (M0AYF)

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 17 8:17 AM
        Des,

        That is what is says, as that is trhe normal reason for creating a hotspot, but if you just set up the wifi hotspot bit and the DHCP server so it can give your clients addresses but don't give it an Internet connection, it runs fine.

        It won't be able to resolve names, unless you aslo set up a name server. but the clients should be able to access the pi via its ip address.

        href="http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36">http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36

        <http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19120> &t=19120

        > I followed it, and created a standalone wifi
        network, running a LinBPQ node
        > that I could connect to from a PC. This
        sounds similar to what you are
        > trying to do.
        >
        > 73,
        John

        href="mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com">Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com

        since last August and am only recently getting the
        > time to "play" with
        it Hi.

        > One of the little projects I have been trying to get
        going is a wi-fi
        > hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger
        project.

        > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi
        dongle (in "master" mode)
        > such that the raspi would appear on a list of
        wi-fi hot-spots for anyone
        > close by using say a laptop or
        whatever.

        > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages
        with a "welcome" page
        > by default. So far I have been able to achieve my
        goal by using the
        > "Berry-web server" software which works well enough
        but still requires the
        > home wi-fi router as part of the package.
        >
        > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone"
        server
        > application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far,
        trawling
        > the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an
        existing home
        > wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the
        "stand-alone" form to serve a
        > web-page.
        >
        > I wonder if
        anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a
        > project on
        the net?

        > Regards to all es 73,s
        >
        > Des
        (M0AYF)

      • Dave Cochran
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 17 8:25 AM
          Des,

          I think what you want to do is this...  (pretty easy)

          on the Pi -
          Install the webserver (you already have)
          install and configure DHCP (have it list it's own address for DNS)
          Install BIND DNS (optional but would ease a lot of things later)

          Then any device can poll the DHCP server for an address unique to the 'network' limited to the Pi.  That would effectively limit any host to the Pi network and whatever services you want/setup will be available.

          HTH
          -Dave
          N0TRQ

        • Dave Cochran
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 17 8:32 AM
            As another tip...  download Webmin (get the .deb) version.  from webmin.com.

            install -   sudo dpkg -i webmin.x.x.x.deb

            Once completed point a browser to https://localhost:10000 (replace localhost with the IP address from a remote host) and 99.9% of all tasks become point and click.

            -Dave
            N0TRQ

          • Dennis Nelson
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 17 8:47 AM
              HI, what you could use is a DHCP server under the os. It's been a while, so you may want to look up the man or info pages on setting up
              the server to the wireless. That would then make the pi the server. Dennis.

              Many thanks for your swift reply, unfortunately this is another example of extending an existing Internet connection. Quoting from the web-page....

              "set up where on boot, it connects to the Internet through ethernet, and shares that connection over WiFi."
              *** End-Quote ***

              What I would like to do is make the raspi appear as though it is the Internet by serving-up its own pages wirelessly without connection to the wider Internet. A sort of stand-alone wi-fi Intanet server.

              The serving of web-pages has turned out to be the easy part but finding pointers or a solution to making the pi "appear" as the sole provider of a web-page wirelessly has turned out to be problematic.

              I suspect this will turn out to be something useful to others if I can find the solution. If I do I will post the results here.

              Thanks again John for taking the time to post a reply.

              73,s

              Des (M0AYF)

              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

              > Dee,
              >
              > If your problem is getting the to work as a hotspot, then this may help.
              >
              > http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36
              > <http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19120> &t=19120
              >
              > I followed it, and created a standalone wifi network, running a LinBPQ node
              > that I could connect to from a PC. This sounds similar to what you are
              > trying to do.
              >
              > 73, John
              >
              > _____

            • d29602960
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 17 10:49 AM
                Hi Dennis, Dave & John,

                Many thanks for all the responses and comment. I must confess that after initial success with berryboot and the berry web-server operating through my home network/router I thought a stand-alone option would be quite easy.

                I see now I will need to do some "hacking" with Linux in terminal mode in order to achieve the set-up I am looking for but if I understand comments correctly the existing wi-fi hot-spot tutorials can be readily adapted so I will read the manuals/web-pages and have a go.

                Thanks again for the pointers folks.

                73,s

                Des (M0AYF)

                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Nelson <kb9rrx2002@...> wrote:

                > HI, what you could use is a DHCP server under the os. It's been a while, so you may want to look up the man or info pages on setting up
                > the server to the wireless. That would then make the pi the server. Dennis.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Dave Cochran
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 17 11:54 AM
                  Des....

                  It's really not too difficult to set up (as I mentioned Webmin is a great tool for those less than CLI fluent, or the lazy)

                  If push comes to shove....I can build you an image from the latest Wheezy build with all the pieces preinstalled/configured.  Then you'd just have to download it and dd it to an SD card and boot it up.  Then you can customize it to your hearts desire.  Admittedly you wouldn't learn much that way....

                  Dave
                  -Dave

                • flask28
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 17 12:20 PM
                    Hey Des,

                    I wanted to do the same thing. Use my Rpi as a wireless accecss point so I could connect to the local webserver/VOIP/IM client/RMS from my phone and tablet.

                    There are a few pieces you need:

                    DHCP to hand out IP addresses to the clients that connect.

                    Maybe DNS services (who cares if you don't have internet on this network, and if you do use a public DNS like 4.4.4.4)

                    And the wireless Access Point setup (AP)

                    For wireless AP functionality, I use hostapd. Makes it super easy to set up and configure the wireless part.

                    http://sirlagz.net/2012/08/09/how-to-use-the-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-pointrouter-part-1/

                    I had some issues with my realtek wifi card and the stock hostapd, but I found a version that worked at the realtek site.

                    Good Luck!

                    Adam KF7LJH

                    --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "d29602960" <d29602960@...> wrote:

                    > Hi folks,
                    >
                    > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
                    >
                    > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the time to "play" with it Hi.
                    >
                    > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
                    >
                    > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode) such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone close by using say a laptop or whatever.
                    >
                    > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the home wi-fi router as part of the package.
                    >
                    > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a web-page.
                    >
                    > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a project on the net?
                    >
                    > Regards to all es 73,s
                    >
                    > Des (M0AYF)

                  • Paul M
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 17 1:48 PM
                      I'm a bit confused. Do you want to

                      a. provide web sites for someone with wifi who is within range (stand alone RPi) - take a look at LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP/Perl) - you can use other programs (e.g. Cherokee instead of Apache) - see Bitnami Lamp stack.
                      b. provide internet access with someone within wifi range ('traditional' hotspot) which requires (obviously) connection to router for internet.
                      c. provide a gateway (your web pages) leading to internet. (a+b)

                      Paul 5B8BA

                      Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.

                      > Hi folks,
                      >
                      > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
                      >
                      > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the
                      > time to "play" with it Hi.
                      >
                      > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi
                      > hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
                      >
                      > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode)
                      > such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone
                      > close by using say a laptop or whatever.
                      >
                      > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page
                      > by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the
                      > "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the
                      > home wi-fi router as part of the package.
                      >
                      > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server
                      > application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling
                      > the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home
                      > wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a
                      > web-page.
                      >
                      > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a
                      > project on the net?
                      >
                      > Regards to all es 73,s
                      >
                      > Des (M0AYF)

                    • Rick Simpson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 17 8:45 PM

                        As I understand it, he wants to serve only his own pages via wifi with NO connection to the internet.

                        Rick

                        a. provide web sites for someone with wifi who is within range (stand alone RPi) - take a look at LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP/Perl) - you can use other programs (e.g. Cherokee instead of Apache) - see Bitnami Lamp stack.
                        b. provide internet access with someone within wifi range ('traditional' hotspot) which requires (obviously) connection to router for internet.
                        c. provide a gateway (your web pages) leading to internet. (a+b)

                        Paul 5B8BA

                        Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.

                        > Hi folks,
                        >
                        > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
                        >
                        > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the
                        > time to "play" with it Hi.
                        >
                        > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi
                        > hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
                        >
                        > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode)
                        > such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone
                        > close by using say a laptop or whatever.
                        >
                        > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page
                        > by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the
                        > "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the
                        > home wi-fi router as part of the package.
                        >
                        > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server
                        > application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling
                        > the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home
                        > wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a
                        > web-page.
                        >
                        > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a
                        > project on the net?
                        >
                        > Regards to all es 73,s
                        >
                        > Des (M0AYF)

                      • Adrian
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 17 11:36 PM

                          http://elinux.org/RPI-Wireless-Hotspot

                          > Hi folks,
                          >
                          > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
                          >
                          > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the
                          > time to "play" with it Hi.
                          >
                          > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi
                          > hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
                          >
                          > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode)
                          > such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone
                          > close by using say a laptop or whatever.
                          >
                          > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page
                          > by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the
                          > "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the
                          > home wi-fi router as part of the package.
                          >
                          > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server
                          > application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling
                          > the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home
                          > wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a
                          > web-page.
                          >
                          > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a
                          > project on the net?
                          >
                          > Regards to all es 73,s
                          >
                          > Des (M0AYF)

                        • d29602960
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 18 9:55 AM
                            Hi Paul and thanks for responding,

                            Paul 5B8BA wrote:
                            > I'm a bit confused. Do you want to
                            a. provide web sites for someone with wifi who is within range (stand alone RPi)
                            *** End quote ***

                            Yes, thats exactly what I want to do and I have read about the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack though I suspect for my simple needs the data-base and scripting parts are not really needed until perhaps later on. BTW Hiawatha was going to be my first choice for the server but only because I have used it before with puppy linux.

                            My problem is that I am still quite new to Linux and while I roughly (very roughly) understand what I need to be aiming for the exact packages and syntax elude me.

                            Its not that I am lazy but my spare time is limited so before I start stumbling around in the dark I thought I would seek advice from those more experienced than myself.

                            73,s

                            Des (M0AYF)

                            --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Paul M <pmooney22@...> wrote:

                            > I'm a bit confused. Do you want to
                            >
                            > a. provide web sites for someone with wifi who is within range (stand alone RPi) - take a look at LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP/Perl) - you can use other programs (e.g. Cherokee instead of Apache) - see Bitnami Lamp stack.
                            > b. provide internet access with someone within wifi range ('traditional' hotspot) which requires (obviously) connection to router for internet.
                            > c. provide a gateway (your web pages) leading to internet. (a+b)
                            >
                            > Paul 5B8BA

                            > Disclaimers: I have entered into no agreements regarding mails erroneously sent to this address, and reserve the right to do as I wish with any such emails.
                            > >

                            > >> Hi folks,
                            > >>
                            > >> This is a long
                            > shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
                            > >>
                            > >> I have had a raspberry-pi
                            > since last August and am only recently getting the
                            > >> time to "play" with
                            > it Hi.
                            > >>
                            > >> One of the little projects I have been trying to get
                            > going is a wi-fi
                            > >> hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger
                            > project.
                            > >>
                            > >> The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi
                            > dongle (in "master" mode)
                            > >> such that the raspi would appear on a list of
                            > wi-fi hot-spots for anyone
                            > >> close by using say a laptop or
                            > whatever.
                            > >>
                            > >> Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages
                            > with a "welcome" page
                            > >> by default. So far I have been able to achieve my
                            > goal by using the
                            > >> "Berry-web server" software which works well enough
                            > but still requires the
                            > >> home wi-fi router as part of the package.
                            > >>
                            > >> Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone"
                            > server
                            > >> application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far,
                            > trawling
                            > >> the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an
                            > existing home
                            > >> wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the
                            > "stand-alone" form to serve a
                            > >> web-page.
                            > >>
                            > >> I wonder if
                            > anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a
                            > >> project on
                            > the net?
                            > >>
                            > >> Regards to all es 73,s
                            > >>
                            > >> Des
                            > (M0AYF)

                          • d29602960
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 18 10:08 AM
                              Hi Dave,

                              Dave wrote:
                              Webmin is a great tool for those less than CLI fluent, or the lazy... If push comes to shove....I can build you an image from the latest Wheezy...
                              *** End quote ***

                              Its not that I am lazy Hi, just a little pushed for spare time and I would like to avoid making the wrong software choices when I come attempt to build my little server. As it is I would expect this to take a few weeks to get going.

                              While I am very tempted to take you up on your offer of a pre-built image (very tempted) I agree I would learn very little from that. However, you sound as though you understand my requirements very well so if you could suggest the correct "bundle" of software I need then I will scratch my head and sort the rest out.

                              Though I am still quite new to Linux the installation of packages on the pi is now well mastered. Configuring those packages is mostly a case of reading and understanding the instructions but my current problem is that I am unsure exactly what is required to serve web-pages from the pi as a stand-alone wi-fi server independent of my home router.

                              73,s

                              Des. (M0AYF)

                              --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Dave Cochran <dave@...> wrote:

                              > Des....
                              >
                              > It's really not too difficult to set up (as I mentioned Webmin is a great
                              > tool for those less than CLI fluent, or the lazy)
                              >
                              > If push comes to shove....I can build you an image from the latest Wheezy
                              > build with all the pieces preinstalled/configured. Then you'd just have to
                              > download it and dd it to an SD card and boot it up. Then you can customize
                              > it to your hearts desire. Admittedly you wouldn't learn much that way....
                              >
                              > Dave
                              > -Dave
                              >

                              > On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM, d29602960 <d29602960@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > Hi Dennis, Dave & John,
                              > >
                              > > Many thanks for all the responses and comment. I must confess that after
                              > > initial success with berryboot and the berry web-server operating through
                              > > my home network/router I thought a stand-alone option would be quite easy.
                              > >
                              > > I see now I will need to do some "hacking" with Linux in terminal mode in
                              > > order to achieve the set-up I am looking for but if I understand comments
                              > > correctly the existing wi-fi hot-spot tutorials can be readily adapted so I
                              > > will read the manuals/web-pages and have a go.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks again for the pointers folks.
                              > >
                              > > 73,s
                              > >
                              > > Des (M0AYF)
                              > >

                              > > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Nelson
                              > > <kb9rrx2002@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > HI, what you could use is a DHCP server under the os. It's been a while,
                              > > so you may want to look up the man or info pages on setting up
                              > > > the server to the wireless. That would then make the pi the server.
                              > > Dennis.
                              > > >

                              > > > ________________________________

                            • d29602960
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 18 10:20 AM
                                Hi Adam,

                                Adam (KF7LJH) wrote:
                                For wireless AP functionality, I use hostapd. Makes it super easy to set up and configure the wireless part.
                                *** End quote ***

                                Thanks for the pointer to hostapd and the AP tutorial. BTW I have read that others have had issues with various wi-fi add-ons when attempting to set up an AP so I will take care to obtain a suitable USB w-fi dongle right at the start.

                                Thanks for the reply and the pointers.

                                73,s

                                Des.

                                --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "flask28" <kf7ljh@...> wrote:

                                > Hey Des,
                                >
                                > I wanted to do the same thing. Use my Rpi as a wireless accecss point so I could connect to the local webserver/VOIP/IM client/RMS from my phone and tablet.
                                >
                                > There are a few pieces you need:
                                >
                                > DHCP to hand out IP addresses to the clients that connect.
                                >
                                > Maybe DNS services (who cares if you don't have internet on this network, and if you do use a public DNS like 4.4.4.4)
                                >
                                > And the wireless Access Point setup (AP)
                                >
                                > For wireless AP functionality, I use hostapd. Makes it super easy to set up and configure the wireless part.
                                >
                                > http://sirlagz.net/2012/08/09/how-to-use-the-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-pointrouter-part-1/
                                >
                                > I had some issues with my realtek wifi card and the stock hostapd, but I found a version that worked at the realtek site.
                                >
                                > Good Luck!
                                >
                                > Adam KF7LJH
                                >

                                > --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "d29602960" <d29602960@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi folks,
                                > >
                                > > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
                                > >
                                > > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the time to "play" with it Hi.
                                > >
                                > > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
                                > >
                                > > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode) such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone close by using say a laptop or whatever.
                                > >
                                > > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the home wi-fi router as part of the package.
                                > >
                                > > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a web-page.
                                > >
                                > > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a project on the net?
                                > >
                                > > Regards to all es 73,s
                                > >
                                > > Des (M0AYF)

                              • MattB
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 24 9:17 PM
                                  It doesn't look like this has been brought up yet:

                                  http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=14100

                                  Points here:
                                  http://sirlagz.net/2012/08/09/how-to-use-the-raspberry-pi-as-a-wireless-access-pointrouter-part-1/

                                  -73-
                                  Matt KC2O

                                  --- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "d29602960" <d29602960@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi folks,
                                  >
                                  > This is a long shot but I wonder if anyone can help?
                                  >
                                  > I have had a raspberry-pi since last August and am only recently getting the time to "play" with it Hi.
                                  >
                                  > One of the little projects I have been trying to get going is a wi-fi hot-spot for the shack as part of a larger project.
                                  >
                                  > The idea is to have the raspi, a psu and a wi-fi dongle (in "master" mode) such that the raspi would appear on a list of wi-fi hot-spots for anyone close by using say a laptop or whatever.
                                  >
                                  > Al I want to do is serve a couple of basic web-pages with a "welcome" page by default. So far I have been able to achieve my goal by using the "Berry-web server" software which works well enough but still requires the home wi-fi router as part of the package.
                                  >
                                  > Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a "stand-alone" server application/package or a pointer in the right direction. So far, trawling the Internet has thrown up numerous solutions for extending an existing home wi-fi network using the pi but nothing in the "stand-alone" form to serve a web-page.
                                  >
                                  > I wonder if anyone has done anything like this or stumbled upon such a project on the net?
                                  >
                                  > Regards to all es 73,s
                                  >
                                  > Des (M0AYF)

                                • d29602960
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 27 9:14 AM
                                    Hi Matt and the Group,

                                    Following some research on the internet and some strong encouragement from another memeber of the group (Dave N0TRQ) I have had some modest success and now have a working WiFi server in the shack.

                                    In fact it does everything I hoped it would except (so far) all attempts to make it anything other than an "open" access server have failed.

                                    I have re-written the hostapd.conf file a number of times but as soon as I attempt any form of WPA security it stops working :-( Having said that, an open server is not really an issue for my current requirements.

                                    Regards to all,

                                    Des (M0AYF)